search function

Grouch

Your doing nothing wrong it's just that the search facility is c^@p.

Try being more selective to narrow the search down, particularly time, there are a lot of posts here and the search is simply not up to a full search.

Hallii

We are currently trying to unravel the confusion regarding uprating my Hymer B584 2002 showing 3500 kg. SV Tech who are very helpful say this can be upgraded to 3750 leaving the axle weights as they are. i.e. 2000/1750. In the midst of this we came across Brickmenda who appears to have achieved this at a vastly reduced cost compared to SV Tech's £240. plus VAT by going direct to DVLA. The posting which appeared in MMM recently referred to downloading a VTG10 Form which I have done and agree with SV Tech that it has nothing to do with Motorhomes. Also SV Tech say that Motorhomes do not require a Design Weight Certificate as stated by Brickmenda. This coupled with different advice from DVLA/VOSA etc. regarding some vehicles over 3500 being registered as Motorhomes and others as PHGV is creating more confusion in my mind. SV Tech say my vehicle is safe up to a total of 3750 kg requiring no modifications. One wonders how they justify £240. which seems to be an expensive paper exercise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Grouch - 2010-04-11 10:47 AM

We are currently trying to unravel the confusion regarding uprating my Hymer B584 2002 showing 3500 kg. SV Tech who are very helpful say this can be upgraded to 3750 leaving the axle weights as they are. i.e. 2000/1750. In the midst of this we came across Brickmenda who appears to have achieved this at a vastly reduced cost compared to SV Tech's £240. plus VAT by going direct to DVLA. The posting which appeared in MMM recently referred to downloading a VTG10 Form which I have done and agree with SV Tech that it has nothing to do with Motorhomes. Also SV Tech say that Motorhomes do not require a Design Weight Certificate as stated by Brickmenda. This coupled with different advice from DVLA/VOSA etc. regarding some vehicles over 3500 being registered as Motorhomes and others as PHGV is creating more confusion in my mind. SV Tech say my vehicle is safe up to a total of 3750 kg requiring no modifications. One wonders how they justify £240. which seems to be an expensive paper exercise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A motorhome will be registered with the Body Type recorded as 'Motor Caravan' on the V5C whatever it's GVW.

A motorhome with a GVW of more than 3500kg will be in the PHGV taxation class for VED.

Regarding the charge made by SVTech, you are paying for their expertise (and potential liability) in certifying that your vehicle is safe to operate at a GVW of above the manufacturer's original.

Andy

I would just add this.  Most motorhomes run out of load carrying capacity on one, or other, of the axles, and not out of MAM.  Before you do anything to up-rate the MAM take it to a weighbridge and get it weighed fully laden, including driver and all possible pets and passengers and ensuring all water, fuel, gas etc reserves all full, and take a note of the individual axle loadings.  Then check these against their limits.

What SV Tech do is fine, but it does nothing to up-rate the axle load capacities, which is where your problem is most likely to emerge.

Since your B584 is plated at 3,500Kg, have you checked if it is on the heavier chassis, downplated?  From the axle ratings you quote I suspect it is not, but it would be worth checking as many Hymers were.

It would also be worth checking your driving licence to be sure you can drive a vehicle over 3,500Kg MAM, remembering you will need a medical test at age 70 to maintain that right.

Archived