Rear View Mirror Monitor - Advice please

Mel B

We're thinking of putting a rear view camera system on the new motorhome as it won't have a rear window. We've already got a very good camera and a standard 'TV' type monitor, but were thinking of getting one of the monitors that you use in place of a rear view mirror.

I've had a shuftie on ebay and there are lots to choose from but knowing which to choose is difficult as I'm sure some are good others probably rubbish.

So, does anyone have one of the rear view mirror monitors and if so, what is it, and how do you find it in use please.

:-D

Hi Mel

For some tecky data, have a look at the Roadpro catalogue with this month's MMM. It will give you some background info.

I will have a look at ours tomorrow. (type you are looking at, was Part of the lux pack when we ordered the M/H)

We also use it when travelling forwards. With the wide angle it is useful to spot those pesky motorbikes & scooters manuevering to come up the inside (lol) (lol)

Thanks flicka

flicka - 2010-04-10 10:30 PM

We also use it when travelling forwards. With the wide angle it is useful to spot those pesky motorbikes & scooters manuevering to come up the inside (lol) (lol)

I'm a pesky scooterer ... but I always go on the outside! :D

Hi Mel, personally I wouldn't advise using a "mirror" type monitor simply because it is designed to be used both as a mirror and a monitor. The problem is that because it can be used as a monitor it has a very reflective surface and this can make it difficult to see the monitor image, especially in bright sunny conditions. Stick to a proper monitor, you can mount it up high in the centre of the windscreen, although I generally recomend a dash top location just by the drivers side A post as the monitor is then close to your drivers mirror and you can see both very easily with minimum head movement.

D.

What I think you need, is something like this.  I know you already have a camera, but this Waeco one has two lenses, a wide angle look down lens for reversing, and a narrower angle lens giving a permanent rear view in lieu of a mirror.

The monitor is mounted as Dave suggests, and is very convenient.  Vehicles cannot "hide" in the blind spot behind the van, and as soon as they pull out to overtake they appear in the O/S mirror.

The look down lens engages when reverse gear is engaged, and shows the rear extremities of the van full width, and the ground for about 15' behind the van.

Either mode can be selected at will from the monitor, so if the ground to the rear is unodstructed, but there are overhanging trees, reversing can be carried out using the rear view, instead of look down, mode.  Ditto in traffic, if you want to see just how close the twit behind has approached the rear of the van, or whether the lady with the pushchair is still yattering on her mobile just behind you!

Monitor.jpg.ebd3e40651f207bcfe67ff53530c3ee6.jpg

Camera.jpg.453d5c8d5d9214b1c514d9f9b86f6a8e.jpg

hi Mel,

i have one of those,got it off ebay 42 quid from a bloke in hong kong, took 2 days to get here (!) (!) been using it for 3 month now, like dave says its very reflective but i have had no problems seeing the screen, i have also made it so it is permanently on so i can see behind all the time, it has a remote to turn the screen off and adjust brightness etc, i will say it took me some time to get used to cos i found it to be distracting, i know that sounds strange but i think it is because it is like watching tv and not looking through a rear view mirror, so i just turn it off for a bit.

its been working fine but for 42 quid if owt goes wrong i'll sling it

jonathan

Thanks guys - I had wondered how much of a problem the shiney screen would be as they do look very, very shiney! :-D

Might have a re-think when we get the 'van and can see how well the monitor we have will fit before deciding on anything.

Jeffw - you'll find there are loads on ebay, if you go to the site and type in the below they'll come up:

rear view mirror monitor

Hi Mel

Flicka reporting back.

Unfortunately I can't tell you the manufacturer's name of our Monitor

Neither the Monitor or the booklet quote it.

I note Dave's comment regarding mounting position, (the Monitor clips to the rear view mirror ) I have not found it a problem in use. IMHO no different to viewing a rear view mirror when the sun is behind it.

This looks very similar to ours.

http://www.parkingcameras.com/store/product.php?productid=46&cat=0&page=1&featured

Not sure what it is your looking for, but if it is a high quality camera which will not blur with light shining on it then there is really only one choice and that is a little dome called the "pico dome", made by Dallmeier in Germany. Whilst not being that cheap it works superbly ! I use these cameras on vehicles and they do not suffer from white out or are effected by street lights. I am in the business of surveilance video and this camera is vandal proof lexan plastic and is almost indestructable. As for a monitor there are many suppliers out there and almost any two channel test monitor with a bracket for mounting on your dash. These brackets can be obtained from any Ham Radio supplier such as Martin Lynch and sons available on net ! The auto switch on in reverse is easy to arrange via a small relay to reverse lamp.

My only difficulty with cameras that are vehicle reversing cameras specific is that spiders just love them and they are always getting covered in muck unlike domes which don't have this problem rain keeps them clean.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Mel, not being funny or anything, but is there a reason why you want to see what's immediately behind you? Do you tow something? I only ask because the mirrors on a van are perfectly adequate for driving and manouvering safely and I just wondered why you are going to the expense and mither of fitting something that isn't really nesessary.

But like solar panels, inverters, satellite dishes, none of which are "vital" is it something you "want" rather than "need"! :-)

I agree with Dave Newell. Swift replaced the original dash mounted monitor under warranty with a "rear view mirror" type. It is prone to vibration on bumpy roads, can be difficult to see in bright sunlight and blocks out a significant area of the windscreen. Some time this year I will refit a dashtop 5 or 7" monitor.

On my Ford Transit (fitted with long mirror arms) it is impossible to see what is behind unless the one behind starts to pull out.

There is no rear window hence I have fitted a rear view camera and mounted the monitor in place of the rear view mirror to see what is behind. When reversing the camera will switch to a view downwards immediately behind the MH.

It looks as though Brian has fitted a similar system to his Hobby (on Ford) for the same reason.

Agreed John, if something is right behind you it and within a few feet of your van it will be out of vision. As it says on the lorries, "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you!".

However, if you use a good driving "defensive" technique and check your mirrors every 30-45 seconds, using a quick scan of the eyes, then nothing is able to "sneak up" on you anyway because you'll see it coming. My van has a camera and monitor on it and I can only think of 3 times when I've even been bothered to use it. Once when it was shown to me, once when I was showing off the new van to a mate and another when I couldn't get the drop down telly to work and was playing with the remote and it came on! Apart from that I've never not known what's behind me, either going forwards or backwards.

I'm just fascinated by the way we, and I include myself in this, see something on another van, whether it is a camera, solar panel, sat. dish or whatever and we then start a thought process that concludes with us convincing ourselves it will "improve our van", "make our lives easier", "add to our security" or just be based on simple "van envy"! Many things do fulfill a requirement within the three examples, but I bet, if we're honest, some also fit into the fourth!

Tomo3090 - 2010-04-12 9:38 AM Agreed John, if something is right behind you it and within a few feet of your van it will be out of vision. As it says on the lorries, "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you!". ..........

So, what do you do when reversing out of a parking bay in a crowded supermarket car park with children and pets running around?  Especially if that supermarket car park is not in UK, and the locals do not have the same concept of whose is the liability for looking after whose safety and well being?  I like to see exactly what is behind me when reversing, folk don't stop because your reversing lights go on, they just accelerate a bit to get past, and that includes drivers as well as pedestrians!

Brian, in the case you were suggesting I would get out to see where I was going to reverse to, get Ann to watch for other vehicles and using my reversing mirrors and her directions move out of the place and into the traffic stream. I have actually been in that situation you describe in Ragusa in Sicily, in Morrisons in Gibraltar and in a car park in the ASDA in the UK and on all three occassions it worked. Infact in Ragusa and in the UK other drivers stopped and let me carry out the manouvre safely.

I have been driving HGVs for over 25 years now so I suppose I am confident in my abilities to drive the van safely where ever I get to. I do realise that a lot of people do use them and many people are convinced they can't live without them, and I'm not knocking them in any way. I was just interested in Mels' need for them because they have had their van for a while and wondered why they decided they wanted one, and then broadened my curiosity to others.

Brian, are you suggesting that it is hazardous not to have a rear view monitor?

How many drivers actually walk around or look UNDER their vehicle before moving off, a child might be hiding there, a cat or dog or an obstacle. In dodgy places there may be a nail in a piece of wood placed conveniently. Don’t say never, I’ve seen them all.

If in difficult places it's very easy to ascertain who and what is around you before making any manoeuvre by simply looking. It's easy to calculate how long it will take those loading three cars up to move.

Its also easy to spot a car just arriving, also it's easy to see mothers with push chairs who may have a loose todler on a lead. If there's a chance of life becoming complicated then just wait awhile.

If as you imply every one will be safer when a rear view monitor is being used I very much doubt it, can a young person running with a dog be spotted by a monitor?

Dependency on a monitor is not an excuse to ignore one’s surroundings. The key to all this close manoeuvring is never stop looking EVERYWHERE.

Remember well, gadgets may be some good for some people, they ARE good for business, and business is what counts, not people.

My personal thought is that I would hate to have one as it may deflect me from being a responsible driver.

TD

Archived