Is it just me, or is this notice daft?

spospe

Been for a walk in the Peak District today, from Mam Tor to Lose Hill and back. Super weather with good visibility and on the way we passed a notice regarding the flying of hang-gliders. The bit that caught my eye is shown below.

"If you are forced to land". Remember this is a hang-glider, with no engine and what goes up, must come down.

"Pick a field with no sheep in it". Remember the pilot has been "forced to land", so how much choice will he/she have?

"Do not fly low over sheep". Remember that this pilot has been "forced to land" and presumably has little choice.

Perhaps it is just me, but I do think that this notice could have been worded better ;-)

sheepnotice.jpg.318293c7dc3298c4d9917f446859d0ee.jpg

It's not a daft as you might first think.

Hang gliders are not always forced to land, often they will land at will pretty much where they take off from, but if they find themselves too low they have option of choosing a field to land in.

The flying to low over sheep is (could by)a sepperate issue to landing.

Guest Tracker

It is probably in response to actions by some hang glider 'jockeys' (you really can't call most them a pilot now can you?) and reflects the general arrogance, lack of consideration, responsibility for their own actions and stupidity of much of modern UK man(and woman)hood!

Cynial? Me? Of course I am!

Hi,

A few months ago, the was a U-tube (?) film doing the rounds. Camera was obviously mounted on fuselage, pointing backwards, at the pilots' faces. It was a biplane, with open cockpits. Tiger Moth?

Not a lot happened ..... until suddenly ground level scenery appeared in the shot. They had obviously flown very low. Just managed to get a quick glimpse of a cow lying on its back, waving its feet in the air.

Guest Tracker
emmbeedee - 2010-04-14 10:40 AM

Tracker - 2010-04-13 7:52 PM

And you can't spell also (lol) (lol) (lol)

I can spell also?

Tracker - 2010-04-14 10:41 AM

I can spell also?

Yep, A L S O, but you can't spell cynical (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Tracker
emmbeedee - 2010-04-14 11:15 AM

I can spell also?

Let he who is without fault cast the first nasturtions - I'm only human - well almost?

W3526602 - 2010-04-14 6:43 AM

Hi,

A few months ago, the was a U-tube (?) film doing the rounds. Camera was obviously mounted on fuselage, pointing backwards, at the pilots' faces. It was a biplane, with open cockpits. Tiger Moth?

Not a lot happened ..... until suddenly ground level scenery appeared in the shot. They had obviously flown very low. Just managed to get a quick glimpse of a cow lying on its back, waving its feet in the air.

The engine quit on take off, we asked them if they wanted a rebuilt wing but had no contact in return.

Tracker - 2010-04-14 11:44 AM

emmbeedee - 2010-04-14 11:15 AM

I can spell also?

Let he who is without fault cast the first nasturtions - I'm only human - well almost?

Yes, & I shall probably drop a big boo-boo now after pointing it out :D :D :D

Archived