Elecsol battery

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I just bought a new leisure battery for the van, and for a change I read the instructions (lol)

It said to conditition charge after purchase? If I just fit it, and plug in the electrics will the zig unit do the business (?)

Guest Tracker

Probably up to a point but it will only probably charge at under 14.0 volts to not allow the battery to 'gas' off hydrogen.

A battery needs to be charged at over about 14. 6v (I think it's 14.6?) to prevent the plates from sulphating which prevents them absorbing and relaesing their full potential power and whilst this desulphating process goes on the battery gives of hydrogen which the powers that be decided was a no no for a motorhome leisure battery.

Which is partly why we all get so many problems with leisure batteries and partly why some of us feel the need for solar panels which can charge at 14.6v?

Because engine batteries get the benefit of a full charge from the alternator when the engine fires up they tend not to get suphated and thus tend to last infinitely longer than their seemingly less durable leisure battery cousins.

May not be entirely correct with voltages but you get the general idea?

I generally bench charge new batteries at least overnight with an allegedly 'intelligent' mains charger.

I am sorry to disagree with Tracker but car alternators also put out 14 volts, just the same as most inbuilt chargers and many solar regulators. The reason is to minimise maintenance. Some more intelligent chargers and solar regulators do have higher voltages phases in the charging cycle CTEK being just one example. The Sargent EC325 system used in up-market UK motorhomes also does similarly but to protect the van electronics from over-voltage seperates the leisure battery charging function from running the van by providing two independant outputs.

Sterling make a range of black boxes for enhancing the standard vehicle alternator voltage to cause batteries to charge quicker and more fully than can be achieved with a limited 14.0 volt supply from the alternator which typically gets the batteries about 80% charged.

Any system that goes above 14 volts will require that the batteries connected have their electrolyte level checked periodically or recombination caps fitted to convert the hydrogen and oxygen gasses produced back into water.

Special charge settings are required with AGM or GEL batteries and many van chargers have a special setting (switch or link somewhere) for these.

Why has the vehicle industry remained with just 14 volts? Because it provides the longest battery life with minimal maintenance. It does not cost them any warranty.

Solar panels - very good idea but please dont think that because you have a solar panel that a more complete charge will be achieved. It all depends on the type of regulator and a bit of sunshine!

C.

Guest Tracker

No problem Clive - I freely admit to having an inferior knowledge of batteries and electrics to your goodself.

However it is my experience that a vehicle alternator kicks out a bit more than 14.0v - nearer to 14.4 to 14.6 in my experience and similar to many solar regulated charges - but with a lot more amperage of course from the alternator.

My understanding is that it is not possible to fully charge a 12v battery without an input of over 14.0v and this is why so many of us resort to solar panels to get this top up when the van's inbuilt charger is limited to under 13.8v - as is the alternator supply to the leisure battery?

But please correct me if I am wrong!

PS I for one learnt a lot from Clive's techy articles and MMM help pages over the years for which I am very thankful - so thanks Clive!

Archived