Double Skillet

J9withdogs

I can't find the thread where we were discussing Double Skillets recently, so please excuse me starting a new one.

I found a much cheaper version in my local branch of Towsure yesterday.

It's called 'Twice as good pan set' and, at £11.95, is considerably cheaper than the £35/40 ones available at the shows.

It comprises of two 10" diameter non-stick pans with detachable handles and a steaming rack that fits inside.

The pans can be used separately or joined together as pan and lid with a combined depth of about 4".

No glass lid and the pans don't stack, but, hey, it's worth a try for that price.

LINK to Towsure

I'll let you know how the road-test goes after this weekend :-)

In edit: If you think the spelling is bad on the Towsure site, you should see what is says on the box (lol)

malc d - 2010-04-14 10:55 AM

Can we order our meals now - or will it be alright if we just turn up for the test ?

;-)

Ha, Malc, you'll have to find me first...which won't be difficult at CC Cheltenham Racecourse...oops..given it away, haven't I? :$ :D :D

My advice would be DO NOT waste your money on the cheaper one ... I was stupid enough to buy one from Brownhills a few years or so ago and they are very inferior indeed!!!

The aluminium is so thin that you can't really use them as frying pans, so you're stuck to just having them as large flat saucepans (which can burn the contents very easily!), or a sort of oven ... but even that doesn't work very well either.

Mine has been languishing in the workshop for years and has only just been rescued (as we've been having a clear out again) and nearly ended up going to the charity shop (for some poor s*d to buy and suffer the consequences!), but I've decided to keep it and see how it is for use in the oven for a small joint of meat etc ... not holding out much hope but might as well try!

We were looking for one for a long time but wanted something better than those sold on show stalls.

In the end we found what we wanted in a Spanish market for about £18. The Spanish use them for the traditional Spanish Omlette as it can be turned into the upper half. Sorry but this is probable not a lot of help unless you are going to Spain

For anyone going to France I picked up this, see photo, at the the Intermarche supermarket in Capbreton a couple of weeks ago.

It cost Euro 19.99, the quality is excellent, it's 24 centimetres diameter by 17 centimetres tall with removable handles and takes a 4lb chicken with space to spare, cooks beautifully too, I am going to replace the plastic handle on the separator with a simple metal eye so I can do the roast potatoes at the same time.

Regards PKC.

skillet2.jpg.896f7c1564471f83e87e1b70739c4242.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jean

It's fine and, I agree, enough to pay for what it is. I haven't tried anything like a whole chicken (but it would have to be quite a small one in depth) but I used it to braise vegetables, putting beansprouts on the steaming rack, and traditional fry-up with good results.

It hasn't distorted or lost any of it non-stickiness, so I'm happy with it.

Only downside for me is the size, and where to store it within easy reach even with the handles removed.

Guest peter
J9withdogs - 2010-04-14 6:02 PM

Not sure if this is the same as the one you bought, Mel, but it's not too thin.

I did some jacket potatoes in it at lunchtime with pretty good results.

Mel probably got conned into buying a couple of foil baking trays, bless her. :D

peter - 2010-04-29 10:32 PM

J9withdogs - 2010-04-14 6:02 PM

Not sure if this is the same as the one you bought, Mel, but it's not too thin.

I did some jacket potatoes in it at lunchtime with pretty good results.

Mel probably got conned into buying a couple of foil baking trays, bless her. :D

It was from the Brownstuff shop ... I tell you what Peter ... you stand still and I'll hit you with them, like cymbals, with your head between them, and you can then tell me how hard they are and what they're made of once you've recovered! (lol)

Archived