Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen transmission defect (6)

Mel B

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Henry, I'm sorry it's raining in France, but please don't spread it to this string!  :-) 

No one is claiming Renault/Vauxhall/Opel are paragons, and I acknowledged the product is as yet untried, but it is a highly viable looking alternative to the SEVEL vans at all levels. 

That head to head competition (Ford apparently having terminally blotted their copy book with the converters by failing to meet delivery commitments), may be just what is needed to sharpen the responses of the SEVEL duo.

Before the introduction of the SEVEL X2/50, the earlier Master was judged by many superior to the then competition.  So, there is at least hope.

Brambles - 2010-06-19 9:01 AM You might, only just a might, have better luck contacting Renault Conversions 0845 0500546 or by emailling conversions@renault.co.uk. Renault approved convertors certainly have access to detailed drawings but whether they will supply to individuals I do not know. Seems crazy if they do not as so many customers need detailed dimensions for a a number of reasons.

Thanks Jon, I'll try them.

JudgeMental - 2010-06-19 11:26 AM
Brian Kirby - 2010-06-18 11:55 PM

Because I put in enquiries to both Renault commercial and Vauxhall, to see if I could have sight of some decent scaled drawings to evaluate its suitability for a panel van conversion idea I'm kicking around. p>

Intersting...will this be a home build? or will you sub out the work. I want to downsize and may be interested :-D

No, NOT a home build!  I built the kitchen, and I re-wired and re-plumbed the house.  However, we have only a drive, and chopping girt great holes in a shiny new van on the drive, with our weather, seems a recipe for disaster!  Also, it would take me, working alone, with limited resources, far too long - especially if I am to achieve the kind of finish I would find satisfying.  Perfectionist, you see!  :-)  So, if it happens, it will be either the nearest thing to my preferred layout I can buy at a reasonable price, or a commissioned build by a reliable and recommended builder.  I have seen both Andy Stothert's, and Dave Hurrell's, vans in the round, and they look about the right quality to me, so it may be their builder I talk to.  So, if only for that reason, I sincerely hope he survives this recession!  Selfish sod!  :-)  However, I'll await first impressions on the van before getting too carried away.  Henry's right, it is an as yet unknown quantity!

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-19 2:16 PM

I have seen both Andy Stothert's, and Dave Hurrell's, vans in the round, and they look about the right quality to me, so it may be their builder I talk to. 

Good luck with that, I could not get any enthusiasum from them to build my van, but have since found(and ordered) a production van that meets most of my needs except the SLD is on the 'wrong' side for UK, just have to see how that works out :-S

Oh dear, maybe it's because we have strayed off subject ,but, the thread started by madmaggot shows us that the info's still not sinking in, even with members of this forum.

THERE IS NO 100% GARRENTEE THAT A NEW (OR MODDED) VAN WILL NOT JUDDER, WHEN YOU BUY A SEVEL VAN YOU ARE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE.

When I contacted Fiat over 3 months ago re the fix I was told that the parts would be sent to my dealer of choice (Chelston) "within 2 to 4 weeks". Chelston tell me they are still waiting for the actual reverse gear part - "We have lots of kits with all the other parts but not the reverse gear" They say repeated calls to Fiat have failed to produce results and that there seems to be a manufacturing delay. Has anyone else run into this problem? Could it be that Fiat are reconsidering the actual part they have been using or that there is some other hidden problem we don't know about? Has anyone any more info re this?

Doug

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2010-06-19 3:02 PM

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-19 2:16 PM

I have seen both Andy Stothert's, and Dave Hurrell's, vans in the round, and they look about the right quality to me, so it may be their builder I talk to. 

Good luck with that, I could not get any enthusiasum from them to build my van, but have since found(and ordered) a production van that meets most of my needs except the SLD is on the 'wrong' side for UK, just have to see how that works out :-S

Colin what van did you get in the end plse?

plus what company did Andy and Dave use?

Having just made my first post to the forum and in the throws of buying my first motorhome (Transit/Home-Car avdvice) Thanks to Brian and judge Mental for your comments

I had always thought that the Fiat/Peguot would have been the ideal base vehicle but after reading of the transmission problems I think I would rather have an under powered transit than one of these, at least I stand a better chance of getting home.

So as Fiat uk seem to monitor this thread please note that this is one chassis you will not be selling.

Also do the earlier pre 2007 chassis suffer from this problem

Having just made my first post to the forum and in the throws of buying my first motorhome (Transit/Home-Car avdvice) Thanks to Brian and judge Mental for your comments

I had always thought that the Fiat/Peguot would have been the ideal base vehicle but after reading of the transmission problems I think I would rather have an under powered transit than one of these, at least I stand a better chance of getting home.

So as Fiat uk seem to monitor this thread please note that this is one chassis you will not be selling.

Also do the earlier pre 2007 chassis suffer from this problem

Optare - 2010-06-25 10:45 PM ..............., at least I stand a better chance of getting home. So as Fiat uk seem to monitor this thread please note that this is one chassis you will not be selling. Also do the earlier pre 2007 chassis suffer from this problem

Re getting home: you would be OK, so long as you kept moving forwards.  :-)

Do the pre 2007 version suffer?  No. 

But you need to stick to the "facelifted" versions with the larger headlamps, because the pre-facelift versions had trouble with fifth gear wear, due to it being a bit of a bodged addition to a 4 speed gearbox.  It was broadly OK if you did 100,000 miles per year, but the oil drained from the bearings if it was left standing for long periods - as many vans are - resulting in accelerated wear when first starting from cold.

I would suggest the reson motorhome manufacturers are still putting their bodies onto FIATS is due to the cost they pay for the chassis. It's probably this factor that is going to be the deciding factor too as to whether Ford, Renault or even a Honda would compete in volume sales.

If 70% of motorhomes are on some sort of FIAT chassis, (which is what is claimed), and engine system that's an awful lot of motorhomes throughout Europe and with the best will in the World it can't be claimed they ALL judder. Just as it can't be claimed they have ALL been sorted out in the new models.

The point could also be made that if there were the large volumes of other makes perhaps some type of fault might turn up there too.

We thought our 58 reg Peugeot Boxer panel van 100 bhp 5 speed box had no reversing problem.

However after 19 months and about 19000 miles we found that we had! When reversing up a very steep but short hill the burning clutch smell was awful but NO JUDDER.

We reported this to Peugeot Customer Care on Friday 18th June (along with some other issues) It was duly arranged that the local Peugeot dealer would have the van on Thursday 24th to deal with the problems. By Monday28th Peugeot had authorised fitting of :

input shaft

reverse sliding gear

1st and 2nd gear synchro hub sleeve

new clutch.

Parts ordered were at the dealer on Wednesday 30th and we were phoned by the dealer to arrange to have our van for two days for the work to be done.

This will take place on Monday and Tuesday 5th and 6th July.

In our opinion this is good support (but of course a pity it is needed).

Symbol Owner - 2010-07-01 10:44 PM

The service is impressive, Mel, but how much are you going to have to pay for it? Surely the clutch isn't going to be fixed under warranty?

best of luck,

Colin.

As far as I'm aware everything is being done under warranty.

Does anyone out there know if the Fiat Scudo/ Pug Expert / Citroen Dispatch suffer from the same problem.

I've tried reading quickly through all the posts on this topic - but gave up - so apologies in advance if it has already been covered.

Plus I'm not techy enough to be able to follow some of the more detailed posts

ray

B-)

WanderingAlbatross - 2010-06-22 10:04 AM

When I contacted Fiat over 3 months ago re the fix I was told that the parts would be sent to my dealer of choice (Chelston) "within 2 to 4 weeks". Chelston tell me they are still waiting for the actual reverse gear part - "We have lots of kits with all the other parts but not the reverse gear" They say repeated calls to Fiat have failed to produce results and that there seems to be a manufacturing delay. Has anyone else run into this problem? Could it be that Fiat are reconsidering the actual part they have been using or that there is some other hidden problem we don't know about? Has anyone any more info re this?

Doug

Let you know shortly. Contacted Fiat and a couple of days later came back with details of the fix (lower ratio final drive). Local dealer phoned a couple of days later to fix date for repair. Week after next.

Waiting to see what actualy happens.

(2.3 6 speed Fiat 2008/9 build)

Rgds

My Rapido 7090 is in at Chelston today. We had intervention A done last autumn and booked in for intervention B a few months back when I was also told there would be a 2-3 month wait.

Tony; we only have a slight judder as the clutch is 2/3rds engaged which I always drive straight through. One fully engaged I can reverse up 1in4 ok (on tarmac), if a little fast, Does your 7090 behave similarly?

mel wood - 2010-07-02 11:37 AM

Symbol Owner - 2010-07-01 10:44 PM

The service is impressive, Mel, but how much are you going to have to pay for it? Surely the clutch isn't going to be fixed under warranty?

best of luck,

Colin.

As far as I'm aware everything is being done under warranty.

Collected the van today - EVERYTHING REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY.

Hello again, Folks,

Not been on this thread for a while because I am discusted at the attitude of FIAT to us all. To be brief, I bought a new 2.2 in 2008 and went through all of the available channels to try to get the judder removed. After 2 "examinations" an a technical assessment by my FIAT agent, Stoneacre they agreed that on every occasion there was judder which they reported to FIAT. FIAT then tell me that there is nothing wrong with the van. I wrote to FIAT UK and heard nothing. Then I read on the forums that the vehicles which have been repaired are guzzling diesel. Decided to grin and bear the problem because of not being able to get anywhere. I would gladly sell or change the vehicle but I would lose a lot of money and some other poor beggar would inherit the judder. (Oh sorry, FIAT say there isn't one)

Archived