Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen transmission defect (6)

Mel B

Geoff Tuckley - 2010-07-07 12:52 PM

Then I read on the forums that the vehicles which have been repaired are guzzling diesel.

The referances to fuel consumption that I have read relate to the indicated fuel consumption shown by the computor and not actual figures, IMO the modded vans do not guzzle fuel, but I have no hard facts to prove this.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colin are you saying that the fuel consumption shown by the computer are  not actual figures .this is very interesting .i have thought for a log time that my higher  fuel figures were different to the computer .were can i read about this thanks

Hi, re fuel consumption (after mods on Stargazer 2.2 boxer base) actual calculation on return from holiday works out at 28.26mpg. On board trip reading suggests 32 mpg over 2500 miles on vehicle which has now done 8500 miles since new.

This at cruising speed around 55 mph

tonyg3nwl

dshague - 2010-07-07 7:51 PM colin are you saying that the fuel consumption shown by the computer are  not actual figures .this is very interesting .i have thought for a log time that my higher  fuel figures were different to the computer .were can i read about this thanks

Nothing any of us can achieve will give perfect accuracy.  Even if you do as I do, and record every litre of fuel put in the tank since owning the vehicle, and divide that by the number of miles covered over the same period, the result will be subject to very small inaccuracies in fuel pump gauges (though these probably more or less cancel out over time) and slightly greater inaccuracies in odometers.  The trip computer has no way of knowing how much fuel is actually put into the tank, and can only approximate the rate of consumption by trying to measure flow dynamically in real time so, being subject to the same odometer inaccuracies as any other measure, cannot achieve the same level of accuracy. 

The odd thing is that I don't think I have read, or heard, any comment to the effect that the trip computer shows worse economy than manually calculated (though that may just be my cynical memory playing tricks! :-)), so I am inclined to the view they all, somehow, manage to err on the side that flatters the vehicle.  Why that should be I cannot imagine: surely it could not be because manufacturers' merely want happy customers, could it?  No, perish the thought.  Naughty me!  :-D

It appears mpg & mph figures indicated on the new Fiat Ducato & Peugeot Boxer odometers are better that those calculated by quite a few owners, myself included.

In my case odometer shows 60mph when Sat Nav shows 56mph.

This variation is common & Sat Nav calculated speed has never been has high as the van.

I had assumed that the better mpg figure on the odometer than my calculated figure, was due to the mph reading higher than that calculated by the Sat Nav.

Do "Camping tyres" have a different rolling radius to standard commercial vehicle tyres fitted to "standard" vans. (?) If so could that be the cause.

If Euroserv is still checking this thread, maybe he could comment if he sees this on their fleet.

[>The odd thing is that I don't think I have read, or heard, any comment to the effect that the trip computer shows worse economy than manually calculated (though that may just be my cynical memory playing tricks! :-)), so I am inclined to the view they all, somehow, manage to err on the side that flatters the vehicle.  Why that should be I cannot imagine: surely it could not be because manufacturers' merely want happy customers, could it?  No, perish the thought.  Naughty me!  :-D

surely not Brian :D

you cant manipulate onboard computers like that (lol)

Reported reverse judder to Fiat Uk on May 10th. Was contacted by Camper UK Lincoln while on holiday in France saying can we take M/Home in. Made a date on our return for this Monday gone 5th July. Phone call next day all done. Has the judder gone? Not quite but its ok and i can live with it. Camper UK were very good to deal with. No flashy salemen around, they just got on with it and did a good job. Fiat UK again spot on as well. So if i had not been on France my B fix would have been done in 4 to 5 weeks.

I found no difference in forward gears as to fuel econony and rev counter just the same so i am happy enough

Vicwo

tonyg3nwl - 2010-07-09 8:22 AM

The alleged judder fixes are reported to alter final drive ratios , hence affecting fuel consumption figures.

tony

Fair enough but it is diluting out the original thread

PSHORT - 2010-07-09 7:21 PM

The alleged judder fixes are reported to alter final drive ratios , hence affecting fuel consumption figures.

tony

To some extent you are correct, but I see you have been member of this forum since near the begining of this debarcle, you may recall at one time we kept earlier threads on page one by posting a 'bump', if we where to keep strictly to fixs and non-fixs we would have a tread consisting of the odd relavent post and pages of bumps, I would personnaly prefer it to be made a sticky but that ain't going to happen, so anything that generates a bit of interest is fine by me.

Geoff Tuckley - 2010-07-07 12:52 PM

Hello again, Folks,

Not been on this thread for a while because I am discusted at the attitude of FIAT to us all. To be brief, I bought a new 2.2 in 2008 and went through all of the available channels to try to get the judder removed. After 2 "examinations" an a technical assessment by my FIAT agent, Stoneacre they agreed that on every occasion there was judder which they reported to FIAT. FIAT then tell me that there is nothing wrong with the van. I wrote to FIAT UK and heard nothing. Then I read on the forums that the vehicles which have been repaired are guzzling diesel. Decided to grin and bear the problem because of not being able to get anywhere. I would gladly sell or change the vehicle but I would lose a lot of money and some other poor beggar would inherit the judder. (Oh sorry, FIAT say there isn't one)

Exactly !! and this is the reason that I will NOT be buying a second hand X250 based vehicle (or a new one come to that !) It makes it difficult, but I would rather spend longer looking for one on a Ford/Renault/Mercedes/Iveco than get stuck with a Fiat with this 'not a Fault' poor reversing trait. Ray

colin - 2010-07-09 8:03 PM

PSHORT - 2010-07-09 7:21 PM

tony

To some extent you are correct, but I see you have been member of this forum since near the begining of this debarcle, you may recall at one time we kept earlier threads on page one by posting a 'bump', if we where to keep strictly to fixs and non-fixs we would have a tread consisting of the odd relavent post and pages of bumps, I would personnaly prefer it to be made a sticky but that ain't going to happen, so anything that generates a bit of interest is fine by me.

This is what I mean, had to bump it from halfway down second page.

My local garage owner had got the transmssion problems on his Fiat motor home.He rung Fiat first annd then went to the local Fiat dealer(Platts S-O-T) An appointment was made for the following week Tues day 10 am by Wednesday 3pm the job was done.A lower gear new clutch etc .He told someone else and they had no trouble getting there's done at the same garage both at no cost to themselves. there vans now reverse with no judder . It looks like things are getting regarding this problem. (lol)

My local garage owner had got the transmssion problems on his Fiat motor home.He rung Fiat first annd then went to the local Fiat dealer(Platts S-O-T) An appointment was made for the following week Tues day 10 am by Wednesday 3pm the job was done.A lower gear new clutch etc .He told someone else and they had no trouble getting there's done at the same garage both at no cost to themselves. there vans now reverse with no judder . It looks like things are getting regarding this problem. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

So are vans coming out of the factory this year still in need of the fix?

are they still only changing the ratio if people complain?

I want to downsize to a van conversion but they all seem to be on a Fiat so a little nervous :-S

JudgeMental - 2010-07-16 12:00 PM

So are vans coming out of the factory this year still in need of the fix?

are they still only changing the ratio if people complain?

I want to downsize to a van conversion but they all seem to be on a Fiat so a little nervous :-S

Roy Wood Transits at Winnersh Berkshire sell a range of Westfallia and Horizon Unlimited panel van conversions.

Devon Conversions construct panel van conversions on a number of different base vehiicles. However, bearing in mind your location, it is a long way to their factory in Ferryhill County Durham and, as far as I am aware, their only other dealer is in Banbury.

If a VW is not too small Bilbo's may be an option.

Hope this post is of some use.

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks Mel but problem with the transit is that it is not wide enough for rear bed across the width....V dub to small.

Hey Judge,

What about a Mercedes Murvi Morello?

They are far down in this part of the South-West, (Devon) however, and do take 6 months to make them to your personal specification, I believe.

This month's MMM has an article on p.164, about long-term living with one, which I found very interesting.

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. the excellent Nick (Mr. Euroserv ) might be able to answer your question about whether or not 'unfixed' vans are still coming out of the Seval fgactory.

Archived