Carrying Offensive Weapons

RoyH

When I was in the police force, the wording of the law the defining an offensive weapon was if the item was made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon.

Can't see how this falls into any of those categories unless he threatened to use it against the policeman?

Perhaps the law's changed.

I've read several reports on this case having done a Google search and none of them actually gives a detailed description of the knife.

Given that the defendant's solicitor is quoted as saying 'He accepts it was in his car and the law is very clear,' he said. He admits possession of it and he had no good reason for having it.' the assumption has to be that the knife in question (unlike the prop in the Daily Mail photo) breached the Criminal Justice Act (1988), which says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding - and if you wish to carry a larger knife then you must have 'reasonable cause'.

Looks like yet another case of the press printing half truths to stir up trouble.

Graham

GJH - 2010-04-15 5:44 PM ............ Looks like yet another case of the press printing half truths to stir up trouble. Graham

Oh, does the Daily Mail actually do that?  Surely, it is an august organ of the establishment, of totally unimpeachable reliability and veracity.  Isn't it?  Well!  :-D

GJH - 2010-04-15 5:44 PM

I've read several reports on this case having done a Google search and none of them actually gives a detailed description of the knife.

Given that the defendant's solicitor is quoted as saying 'He accepts it was in his car and the law is very clear,' he said. He admits possession of it and he had no good reason for having it.' the assumption has to be that the knife in question (unlike the prop in the Daily Mail photo) breached the Criminal Justice Act (1988), which says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding - and if you wish to carry a larger knife then you must have 'reasonable cause'.

Looks like yet another case of the press printing half truths to stir up trouble.

Graham

Like yourself I am suspect of the knife in photo as it appears to be less than 3" and the knife would have been used as evidence and unlikly to be returned.

Note that the law also stipulates that not only must the knifes be caperble of folding but nonlocking also.

I can't help but think that either it was a real jobs worth copper or he was less than helpfull when stopped.

RoyH - 2010-04-15 4:54 PM

Well, it would appear that we are all guilty. What knives have you got in your van drawers.

The country has definitely lost it's marbles. The Law is an ASS. See:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266170/Disabled-caravanner-prosecuted-keeping-penknife-car-use-picnics.html

Words now fail me. >:-)

I have been stopped at Portsmouth a couple of times when crossing to France and asked if I was carrying any knives. I just said cutlery and kitchen knives and was told they were acceptable.

Brian Kirby - 2010-04-15 7:00 PM
GJH - 2010-04-15 5:44 PM ............ Looks like yet another case of the press printing half truths to stir up trouble. Graham

Oh, does the Daily Mail actually do that?  Surely, it is an august organ of the establishment, of totally unimpeachable reliability and veracity.  Isn't it?  Well!  :-D

Only when the porcine air display team is performing Brian :-D

A bit worrying, i have been carrying a swiss army knife on my belt for the last 30 years, it was a present from my Daughter, i consider it my 'third' hand and have lost count how many times it has got me out of a problem, with two screwdrivers, a wood saw, scissors, bradawl Oh yes, and two Knife blades...... does that make it an offensive weapon ??? of course it doesn't. It's a tool. And I WILL continue to carry it. Restriction of personal liberty has gone far enough, in the vain pursuit of trying to stop criminal types from doing what they do.

Did you know that Victronox knives have a life time warranty ? i didn't until a blade on mine broke, i took it in to the dealer and he sent it away for a complete 'overhaul' new blade, new side plates all free. Great. Ray

Brian Kirby - 2010-04-15 11:37 PM
GJH - 2010-04-15 8:35 PM Only when the porcine air display team is performing Brian :-D

Wot, you mean like Dumbo - only with more grunt?  :-)

Doesn't "Dumbo" suggest a higher intelligence than that possessed by the popular press? (lol)

About 5 years ago we were stopped at customs at Portsmouth, travelling with a motorbike and sidecar with full camping equipment, and asked if we had 'offensive weapons'. Thinking guns etc I replied 'no' and was prompted by the officer 'not even for camping?' so of course I had to change to 'yes'. He grinned and sent us on our way. Never been asked before nor since.

PS Just don't try to take your Swiss Army knife or Leatherman through airport security!

sounds to me more to the story than first seems.

I've been stopped a few times , mostly by roadside checks late at night as I often get called out to work at unearthly hours when I'm on call.

One occassion I had a whole load of tools in my boot (I'd been helping a friend do some DIY the previous day and hadn't got round to taking them out - dont need them for my work).

I got called out and subsequently stopped by a roadside check point aimed at targetting burglars as there had been a spate in my area.

So here's me 3am in the morning car full of tools!!! Luckily I had all my required paperwork (i.e licence and insurance) I also had my works ID , sms messages on my mobile and messages on my pager to somewhat verify my activity.

Police were fine and I guess not least because I was co-operative , polite and helpfull. Not so much for the guy stopped just after me - he kicked off about harrassment , being late for work etc etc etc and found himself cuffed and on his way to pokey.

So my point , despite the legal issue of the pocket knife , did this guy bring it on himself?

I got asked by customs as I was taken to the bad boys room at the dock and asked what knives I had got. I told him butchers knives boning and skinning knives bread knives both types with 11 inch blades a full set of super sharp steak knives various saws and an axe. He just seemed puzzled but as I said this is a house and that was that.

I did not tell him about the gas pistol crossbow and comp. catapult. Well he will no doubt be waiting for me on sunday when we depart.

I have remembered that I have a Swiss knife under my dashboard (it belonged to my late husband) and I have never given it a thought about it being a dangerous weapon. I keep it there because it has a tiny screwdriver which I can use if my glasses break. I also carry loads of other knives, lots of tools and at least two mallets. However, I cannot look very dangerous as I have never been asked about knives etc. although I have been searched for immigrants and illegal substances!

Am I  the only one who is mildly irritated that the customs people happily strip you of any defensive weaponry before you travel abroad ?

It's not as if we're going on a crime spree, just wanting to keep footpads and the like at bay, and have a bimble around Europe.

I have carried a pocket knife since Adam was a lad and no-one has ever bothered me about it. I have one now that was bought for me as a present by my grandson, it has a few tools,a blade and converts into a pair of pliers. I have no intention of not carrying it in the future. What do these idiots think we are? It would make more sense if they targeted the criminals and put them where they belong instead of dishing out community service orders and avoiding the real issues. 8o|

Hi Bigal

It's known as easy & soft targets which does wonders in keeping the statistics sweet for the quango's league tables.

Abolish the quango's, put the money into the frontline services & let the police do their jobs without interference.

Then there would be more common sense applied, also saving money on daft cases being brought before the courts.

Haven't we heard all this before, maybe 6th May will bring some change.

Living in hope.

Archived