Staying near Mons

Way2Go

We're contemplating staying at Camping du Waux-Hall in Mons on our way from the Mosel back to Dunkirk.

Has anyone used this municipal site or can recommend somewhere else approximately 1/2 way between Luxembourg and Dunkirk?

It will be our last night on the way back to Dunkirk so would like electric (to keep the wine and cheese cold) and somewhere to dump the black and grey waste.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

W2G

Yes we used the site in 2001 for the sole purpose of visiting Mons. Its about a 15 minute walk into the town. The site itself is situated in a park the site being separate from the park. I remember the pitch we chose although small was surrounded by rose bushes in bloom the smell was great. Not the same could have been said over the toilet blocks which had seen better days and were dark and dismal. Members of the public not on the site could have had access and most probably did use the facilities. The warden was from Melton Mowbray Leicestershire.

If you only intend to say over night why not drive on to Ieper and stay on the municipal site next to the sports stadium, clean facilities when we were there and within an easy walk to see the evening ceremony at the Meningate at 8.00pm. The old ramparts of the town are nice to walk around.

Thank you both for the valuable information.

We're currently looking at Dunkirk arrival followed by an overnight stay at Bruges, then Aachen, Winningen (for a couple of nights so we can spend some time in Koblenz), then follow the Mosel for a few days before returning via Luxembourg then straight back to Dunkirk for a 16:00 departure.

Mons 'seemed' a logical mid point stop to break the journey as they also have a huge Carrefour but we may look for somewhere else now.

I appreciate your valuable feedback.

W2G

Way2Go - 2010-04-19 6:43 AM

Hmmm, I think that's convinced me to look elsewhere.

I'll check out some Aires somewhere approximately halfway home is good.  I also think there's a campsite near Namur which I'll look at.

W2G

Hi;The nearest French aire is just south at Bavay, not stayed there myself but looks ok, no electric though...Courtesy of cc-infos..>Bavay Aire<English comment..."Stayed here for a night in January - Very cold, very quiet, very pleasant!". Pete

Yeah, I'm gonna sack Mons - although I'm still gonna check out what appears to be a huge Carrefour on the outskirts.

Having done some more research there would appear to be a number of campsite around Namur which should do us a treat.  I'm also gonna check out some aires on the route.

Many thanks for your updates ;-)

W2G

Archived