Is it part of the MOT?

Stew

I have a 1999 Fiat Ducato based Autotrail. 2.8idTD

Is the front lower crossmember, that the rad sits on subject to MOT conditions? Mine has been attacked by the mighty rust worm, and I just wondered if it was testable.

It could be salvageable, but would just like to know before I start playing around with it,

Cheers

Stew :-D

Yes it is easy to remove, I've already taken it off once today to give it a good rub down and then I was going to paint it, but thats when I found the dreaded rust worm.

There's only 6 bolts holding the crossmember on, 3 holding the offside inner wheel arch cover and thats about it, I've seen them ebay for @£72, but like I said I don't know if the item is testable or not. Is it isn't then it could be worth a little DIY project.

Thanks for the reply though Brian.

Stew :-)

My understanding (from a friendly MOT tester) is that it is not structural and is not part of the suspension mountings therefore it is niether covered or a failure for MOT purposes. However if the MOT tester so desired he could put it on list as an Advisory problem but that would not make an MOT failure. In practise he said that he would in all probability verbally advise someone unless it was so bad that there was iminent danger of it becoming detatched from the vehicle and so a possible danger to other road users.

As an aside they are available for around £52 so the making good of an old one that may well have severe 'thinning' of the metal due to the rust inside may make a DIY repair a waste of time.

Also I would be looking to see what has caused the corrosion as it is normally due to either water having flooded the battery which has in turn drained into the crossmember or a leaking radiator, ours had both problems!

Bas

Thanks for that, looks like I'll be looking for the best place to buy a new one!

I think it has just gone with age, I don't appear to have a problem with the rad of battery as suggested.

Regards

Stew :-(

Eventually bits of rusty cross might fall of on the road perhaps justifying an MOT failure but not the radiator as the hoses would keep it more or less in place.

Most of the vehicle is galvanised but this non structural cross member is not and barely gets a lick of paint. This is common practice, My VW based vehicles would have had similar localised problems but for the generous coating of wax oil I always apply.

FWIW my MH just passed its first MOT with no problems - I drove it for one mile to get home and looked underneath for something unrelated - only to find that mr rear right leaf spring was cracked right through near the hanger..... IMHO MOTs aren't really worth the paper their written on. You'll probably get away with it

ChasB - 2010-04-17 5:51 PM

I would say that the front cross member would not pass an MOT if it has excessive corrosion. Don’t waste your time replace it before the MOT.

I have sent a PM to you re some instructions for help

The front cross member on these is NOT part of the MOT, and yours will pass no matter how corroded,this I know from personal experience and not just an opinion.

Thanks to all for replies, I will look at all options for repair/replacement. I don't like things that are not "right" on the m/home, so I will update the post with the result of what I finally did with cost etc(hopefully!), maybe a couple of pictures as well if I can master that.

The weather's changed at the moment (Rain,typical) so it will just have to wait for a bit.

Regards

Stew. :->

Archived