Use Of A 125cc Motorscooter In FRANCE.

Frank McAuley

Hi Folks

Once again looking for help! What do I need to do LEGALLY to ride a 125cc mscooter in France. I currently hold a full licence with provisional entitlement in the UK.

It's the old story I've now purchased the scooter,towbar and scooter rack but I haven't considered the "Primary" pts!

If you intend to take the test do allow some time before you travel to France. The motorcycle test has become a lot more complicated and there are not that many test sites now. Depending on where you live it could easily be 50 or more miles to the nearest test centre. There were also a lot of cancelled tests in the bad weather and this might still be causing delays. I would contact a training centre and speak to them.

If you do ride the scooter in France, take care to KEEP RIGHT at all times. It sounds obvious, but after a refreshment stop it is so easy to set off on the left hand side of the road. In the motorhome, you have the steering wheel on the 'wrong side' to help remind you.

In the top box on my motorbike I have a large 'KEEP RIGHT' sign stuck to the inside lid. When I get my crash helmet out I'm reminded to concentrate.

I do agree that you should really take your test first, and ideally have a course of lessons from a motorcycling training school. 

In France you have this 'priority from the right' business to contend with as well. I was nearly wiped out in the back streets of Calais while riding my bike.

I have been driving in France for the last 23 years and I have never seen a British vehicle; whether car of motorcycle with L-plates.

I am sure I have read that you are not allowed to drive in France on a UK Provisional licence. I would suggest that you make calls to both your insurer and the DVLA to confirm the facts.

If you take a chance and something happens when you are illegal your insurer will invalidate your insurance. That’s besides to any prosecutions by the French authorities.

In the UK you have a full car driving licence which would give you a provisional licence to ride a motorcycle up to 125cc. I would assume that your licence entitlement is also a full licence for a moped. If your trip is imminent have you also considered changing to a moped until you have passed your test for a motorcycle?

I have just done a Google search for you, This extract is taking about cars but I would assume Rule 1 must also apply to M/Cs.

http://francofiles.org/tour/motoring-living-in-france/driving-in-france/

10 VITAL RULES TO REMEMBER

Ignoring these could lead to hefty “on-the-spot” fines – or worse.

1. No-one may drive in France on a provisional licence.

2. Minimum age to drive is 18.

3. Seatbelts must be worn by the driver and front and back seat passengers.

4. Children under 10yrs may not travel in the front seat, unless the child is in a specially approved fitted seat facing backwards.

5. Stop signs mean Stop. Creeping slowly in gear is not allowed… you must come to a complete STOP.

6. If you have to stop on the open road, the car must be driven off the road.

7. Overtaking and crossing a solid single centre line is heavily penalised.

8. A red warning triangle and a prescribed yellow vest must be carried in case of breakdown.

9. Illuminate full or dipped headlights in poor visibility and at night. Sidelights are only sufficient when the car is stationary. It is strongly advisable to have a complete spare-bulb kit as it is illegal to drive with faulty lights. If a driver flashes his headlights in France, he is generally indicating that he has priority and you should give way, although it may be to indicate a hazard (or gendarme) ahead. Headlight beams must be adjusted for right-hand drive. Yellow-tinted beams are no longer compulsory for tourist vehicles.

10. You must also have with you: a current passport(s); driving licence; a current vehicle insurance certificate; vehicle registration documents (the original), a country of residence plate or sticker (e.g. GB, IE), a first-aid kit and a fire extinguisher. If you are driving a rented car, you must have the rental agreement and rental insurance details.

The laws in France are the same as anywhere else in EU now re driving with a full licence. -If it's legal in your own country it's legal in EU. However it is not legal to drive or ride anywhere on a provisional except for a resident of that country and conforming with local L driver regulations. If you have a 125 cc scooter you must have a full UK motorcycle license. If you have a 49cc scooter (Moped) then you can ride that on a full car licence providing you took your test pre 1997. As long as it states on your insurance that pillion passengers are allowed you can also carry a passenger. Crash helmets are compulsory throughout the EU regardless of the fact you will see local youths without them-police do tend to turn a blind eye to locals but not to GB plates!

Finally you must carry your insurance certificate with the vehicle-suggest you get a copy, laminate it and keep it under the seat. If you get stopped and you don't have it on you they have the power to take your vehicle

Mike

Archived