Fridge Faults

JohnP

Over Easter I ran a rally for 75 units, a mix of caravans and motorhomes.

Five or six caravans (not motorhomes) had problems with their fridge (all the same make of fridge, but various makes of caravan)

Some vans were badly stained above the top vent and it appears that there may be something wrong with the burner and the baffle plate.

Because of poor sealing some owners had to turn their fridge off because they were worried about the fumes overcoming them in their sleep.

This combination of unclean combustion, a badly fitted or ineffective baffle plate and poor sealing of the fridge in its housing leads to fumes entering the habitation area.

I told any member who had a problem to contact their dealer. Whether they have done this I do not know.

Such a high percentage of problems is serious and very worrying.

Not that unusual to get this sort of problem after a longish period of non-use.

Most likely poor combustion caused by debris (rust, spiders, etc) getting into the burner.

It is certainly a wise precaution not to use the fridge on gas until the problem is fixed, most fridges are not fully sealed from the van interior so there is always a chance of carbon monoxide entering the living space, the consequences of which could be fatal.

Andy

What Andy sez is quite right, most common problem. Could try sucking out the soot and other debri, or there is a possibility that the burner unit is rusted out even at three years old. Some jets are only made of steel not brass, so rust and cause this type of problem. Your local work shop can fix it for less than £100 including vat and labour for a new burner unit. Very hard to get into to clean it all up. What did we do before vans had fridges???????Remember taking your freezer blocks to the camp shop/office every morning to exchange from thier freezer, to replace them in the top of the chill box????? My van then was an Austin straight six three litre, that is going back a bit. I tell my Great Grand Son about it..................

Guest peter
We had his problem on our last van. Had to remove the burner box and clean it out and the jet. But be carefull as the jet is held in place by the pipe, so could easily be lost on the floor.

Archived