Newbie advice please!!

KevC

After a lot of deliberation and looking around for used motorhome i've finnally found a model that suits Elddis / Compass 180 2008 models onwards. BUT i'm anxious to establish how much markup do dealers put on the screen price. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

As much as they can get away with would be my guess, best thing you can do now you know what you want is to troll the internet, check the three Ms magazines and make price comparisons ,don't rush into a purchase until you are happy with the price asked and have done all the necessary checks to confirm the van is pucker.Good luck.

The advice from the last poster is sound in my opinion. Other factors I think you should consider are:

the location of the vehicle: a dealer near to where you live is advisable if you need to return for warranty work

the warranty offered: check just what is covered and for how long

try the vehicle and inspect it well: you probably realise a test drive is essential as is a THOROUGH inspection of the vehicle, including the interior. Ask to be shown how things work.

discount for no part exchange: I'm sure you'll try to get the best deal. Remember there will be a price below which the dealer will not be able to go. You won't know what that is until you negotiate.

Assuming you are happy to purchase the motorhome, when you go to collect it make sure you get a thorough hand over procedure. Spend time being shown how everything works AND that everything does BEFORE you pay.

All the b.est in your search. Hope everything goes well

Hi,Newbie,

As your intended motor home would seem to be on a post-2007 Peugeot x250 Seval chassis, you would be well-advised to have read the lengthy 'postings' on this forum r.e. the serious transmission defect, commonly known as 'judder' which afflicts most of these vehicles.

Best wishes in your search,

Colin.

Symbol Owner - 2010-04-20 11:56 AM

Hi,Newbie,

As your intended motor home would seem to be on a post-2007 Peugeot x250 Seval chassis, you would be well-advised to have read the lengthy 'postings' on this forum r.e. the serious transmission defect, commonly known as 'judder' which afflicts most of these vehicles.

Best wishes in your search,

Colin.

Fair comment. It is important to be aware and to test drive a particular vehicle but MOST of the vehicles with problems have been FIATS (not surprsing given the number of Fiats in comparison to Peugeots used for motorhomes).

We need to keep this thread to the advice asked for but I am not sure of your evidence for stating (suggesting) that the serious transmission defect has affected "most" post 2007 Peugeots. Certainly SOME have been affected but MOST???

Fair comments, but I am quoting Andy Stothert (from memory) and his ( well-informed) opinion is that ALL motorhomes built on the X250 Seval chassis, Fiat Peugot or Citroen, are likely to suffer from this defect if reversed up a steep slope ( say 1 in 5 or so). Some users have also reported this happening on wet grass or reversing with a trailer. I hope that I haven't gone 'off track' too much, I am merely saying: "Buyer Beware!"

cheers,

Colin.

The advice re juddering is well founded.  There is ample evidence in the various juddering strings that Peugeot (and therefore Citroen) badged vehicles are affected in exactly the same way as Fiat vehicles.  It is equally evident that some owners of both marques do not experience the problem, but no-one can categorically say whether that is because their particular vans are immune, or whether they just haven't encountered the conditions that provoke the fault.

The only X2/50 variant that appears immune is the 3.0 litre auto.  Examples of all other variants have exhibited the fault and, since modern vehicles are built to close tolerances incorporating high precision components, there seems little scope for the fault to be due to an unfortunate accumulation of manufacturing tolerances in either direction.  The implication is that all X2/50 variants, except the auto, have the potential to judder, and only unknown circumstances prevent them all reaching their full potential!

Whatever may be the truth of that, it is also quite clear that a large number under both badges do exhibit the fault, that there is no logical reason why certain vehicles are/are not  affected, and therefore no sensible process of elimination that can be used to avoid the judderers.

I would add that there is considerable evidence that the defect most often appears when vehicles are fully laden, so whereas a vehicle that judders when reversed unladen on a test run will be highly likely to judder when laden, a vehicle that does not judder on a test run may well judder when it is laden.

Having said all that, it seems that Peugeot are being a little more constructive in their last resort fix than Fiat, and may be selectively fitting a lower ratio final drive to the worst offenders to lower the overall gearing, and a heavier duty clutch to resist the tendency for it to overheat during awkward reversing manoeuvres.

"Buyer beware" indeed.

For those of short memories.

Peugeot have publicly aknowledged the transmission fault and have done most (it seems) to rectify affected vans. 6 speed vans built (not registered) since early 2009 should have a modded box.

Citreon it seems have followed Peugeot's lead as they use the same engine/box and have told me as much, but they will tell you they have not had any vehicles reported with fault, this is a bit naughty as I have presonaly spoken to a Citreon UK representative about a juddering Dispatch, but as it was a rental van they do not aknowlege this.

I would think that KevC would probably like comments from now onwards to refer to the original request.

(Incidently the Elddis/ Compass 180 has a 100 bhp 5 speed box)

KevC - I hope I haven't been too presumptious but sometimes threads can go off subject and it can become difficult to get back on. I hope you do find information that folks supply helpful to you.

Going back to the original question I think the first post was spot on-as much as possible. And why not? However, one has to take into account the condition, interior condition, extras already fitted and how much you want to pay for what you want. You will never find two identical vans even of the same year and model-one may have been owned by a family of smokers with 4 great danes and a penchent for pitboots where as the other may have been an old lady with a feather duster!

Look at it objectively if possible-you know the model you want, you know your budget-if you like the van you find and feel happy in it, ask for a discount whatever the price or some freebies and you've got a bargain. If a dealer is bid down to the bare bones, the after sales will suffer-they have to make a profit or go out of business.

If you are happy with your purchase, no matter what you pay it is a good deal.

Enjoy your motorhoming

Mike & Jackie

Archived