Toilet help

yeti

Firstly My motorhome has the Thetford C250 loo,the one with the waste tank on wheels.

It is an 18 litre tank. Is it interchangeable with the tank on the C200? I am looking at ways to extend loo use when wilding.

I am going to Glastonbury this year and would like to extend use then. Because of my years I have to pee 3 to 4 times per night,would a bucket with some type of water absorbing granules be of use? maybe cat litter? I would use a bucket in the shower.

I would be relieved to hear your suggestions and comments

We regularly go away for long weekends kite flying on fields with limited facilities. We have a 17 litre max cassette.

Our solution is to have a second cassette available. The reassurance this provides makes camping stress free.

I have also seen a fitment to go under the van which carries the spare cassette if you have the space and finance.

Regards

Joyce

I would guess that the amount of water you produce is no more than anyone one else, but have less bladder capacity, therefore you might consider not flushing as often but just opening valve. But failing that if you otherwise healthy and drink enough fluid then urine should not become too smelly overnight so as you say you could try a bucket.

You have our sympathies! As there will be a lot of people camping at Glastonbury, maybe there will be emptying facilities like we have at the shows. There are bound to be Portaloos and we have emptied our cassette into a Portaloo at outdoor events before now. Good luck.

As Coilin has said, you might just need to ration your water more than anything else.

Our toilet fresh water comes from the main tank. If we are wilding and low on water then I have a cunning plan.

I still have plenty of the pink additive for flush water left over from my last van. I bought a cheap spray bottle from the pound shop and I make up a stronger than recommended solution. Instead of flushing, I spray the bowl and blade in the Thetford. The full bottle lasts a very long time if necessary and you can flush maybe every 2nd or 3rd time.

By not peeing into the loo we have noticed that it never gets smelly, even if there is a minimum of Elsan Blue. When used for pees we have to keep the Elsan Blue topped up or it will smell.

So we pee in a bucket and dispose of it seperately, ( "bucket and chuckit" )we actually use a bucket with a screw on lid (Spain) and a drop of pine disinfectant, the cassette lasts for twice as long!

Urine is not polluting and is a liquid fertiliser to most hedgerow plants, anyway have you ever watched a cow have a pee? It must be about 2 gallons!

Hallii

My experience of Glastonbury (many years ago) was very much "bucket and chuckit" often by-passing the use of the bucket!

I think things may have improved, certainly from the newsreel footage it seems that actual working toilets are now installed.

Happy days.

Hallii

Archived