Rimor Sailer 748

John Edward

• 3 months later...

Hello Archie's Grandad

This is John, aka Harley's Grandad

Thanks for your reply back in April. Sorry I've only just picked up your reply. We've been a bit busy during the last 3 months. We only bought the van because our flight to the UK was cancelled due to the Atlantic ash. We were kicking our heels, waiting for a flight the next week, when we saw an advert for a motorhome for sale locally. We went to see it and bought it immediately. We're motorhome virgins and worried that we'd made an expensive mistake.

We live in the countryside, accessible by a rough track, and our first expense was widening our entrance and getting the local blacksmith to weld an extra 2 ft to our metal gates.

However, we christened the van during a 4-week trip to the UK in June/July. Initially, we were terrified to move off a site and visit local places of interest but, with the help of TomTom, we ended up driving through town centres. The trip cost 265 euros in tolls because we were worried about using non-toll roads but we've researched the route to Calais for our next trip to the UK in 10 days time and hope to avoid a lot of tolls.

We've had no problems whatsoever with the Rimor. In fact, we asked our local garage to check it out and a mechanic came up to our house today and the only fault was a bulb blown on the rear number plate light - and he wouldn't take any payment!

We're thinking about getting air ride suspension, probably buying a kit in the UK and bringing it back for our very cheap mechanic to fit it. He can't wait to do it as it will make a change from his usual run-of-the-mill jobs. Do you have this on your Rimor? We have a towbar on the back of ours and the only problem I've encountered is bottoming out the towbar when pulling into parking areas.

We can't wait to set off again, this time without the total contents of the kitchen and most of our wardrobes. I've also been warned about loading the garage with 6 fishing rods, fishing chair and all my fishing paraphernalia.

I know we shouldn't be travelling through France in August but we have to be in Surrey for my sister's big birthday. We looked at flights, plus car hire and hotel accommodation and, to be honest, couldn't wait to try out the van again.

Our problem with visiting the UK in July & August is finding sites. Everywhere seems to be booked up months in advance. On this trip we're relying on friends with large drives.

Thank you very much for replying to my query. We live near Nerja and, if you're in this neck of the woods, look us up.

Regards, John

John-Edward, we live in France and don't use Toll Roads, only use motorways here if free. If you use a map book as well as a TomTom then you will get the benefits of not having to drive through big towns and can use by-pass roads. We also live in the 'sticks' and have no problems at all. We went to Spain and Portugal in December/January and came back from Seville on a brilliant new road all the way up to near the French border without paying a Toll.

You will travel slower, but infinitely more pleasantly, if you avoid autoroutes and N roads and select the most direct D roads.

Even in August these tend to remain fairly clear of traffic, and we have often tootled smugly along a clear D road, crossing bridges over motorways and dual carriageways choked with static traffic.  You pass through small towns and villages that seem only to posses inhabitants just before mid day, and again just before 2 PM!  They slow your progress a bit, but there is so little traffic the rest of the time, you can happily drive and admire the scenery as you go.

Just watch five things.  Main roads speed limit is 90KPH, unless otherwise stated (same applies to dual carriageways with no central reservation).  Dual carriageways (with central reservation, and most non-toll autoroutes) speed limit is 110KPH, unless otherwise stated.  Toll autoroute speed limit is 130KPH, unless otherwise stated.  There is an automatic 50KPH (unless otherwise stated) speed limit from any town/village nameboard that extends up to the exit nameboard (the one with a diagonal line through the name).  The French police use radar (as well as roadside gatsos), and they hide!  Oncoming drivers flashing their lights usually means there is a speed check somewhere ahead!  (Following drivers flashing their lights usually means you are driving at 89KPH instead of 90KPH - but could just mean your van is on fire, or they are late for lunch!  :-))

Hi John - welcome to the mad house! :-D

Silverback is nearly right - we used to have a Rimor Sailer 645TC 2007 reg (2006 model on the Mk 6 Ford), it was a lovely van and we didn't have a problem with any of the gubbings except the flipping Dometic fridge. We changed the van in April this year for our new van which is a very similar layout to what we had, just a bit stubbier!

I assume your van is something like this:

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/stock/1193/pixindex.html

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest getting yourself to a weighbridge and checking each of the axle weights and comparing it to the permitted maximum weight for your van and each axle too, then look at your vin plate for the info - the largest figure will be the train (towing) weight (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!). :D You might find that the tow bar gives you little payload on the rear axle so, if you're not going to use it, you might like to get it removed - there's no point in carrying the extra weight especially if it's causing you problems anyway with grounding and you can always get it put back on if you find you want to use it in the future.

Is there anything you particularly want to know about your van? We did get a handbook with our Rimor ... which we still have as hubby forgot to put it with all the other bits and pieces ... must send it off to the dealer for the new owner! :$

Archived