help..route to turin..need to arrive 2nd week in may

berti

an early good morning everyone

any suggestions for a route to turin...

leave calais on 3rd may ....need to be there in the week 12th-20th may..

hoping to follow our route through france to annecy....as this avoids any probs with swiss and austrian regulations...

it appears the little st bernard pass will be still closed ..as will the mt cenis pass..

ski-ing info suggests more snow in italy for a couple more weeks

i am having problems trying to get the correct info on the toll for using the frejus tunnel.....see separate thread...

also.. will we need to have snow chains (?)

this is becoming rather complicated (lol)

cheers

berti

Hi

I would suggest to keep costs down you go down via Paris, Langres, Besancon, Pontarlier, Martigny and over the Grand St Bernard pass (or rather tunnel as pass will still be closed in May) Bourge St Pierre would be a nice place to take a break then drop down to Aosta. From Aosta there is a motorway direct to Turin but is is quite pricey-The old road runs alongside it but is a bit slow-your choice pay or meander. Going this way there is some superb scenery including the Matterhorn and against a clear blue sky is stunning. If you have time to travel, would suggest the Besancon and Aosta for overnight stops.

Turin is a nightmare unless you know where you're going and remember the one who has the right of way is the one who gets there first! If there is a gap in the traffic the Italian will go for it-if he makes it or not is immaterial but he will go for it!!

On saying that it is a lovely city and well worth a visit-enjoy yourself

Mike & Jackie

good morning mike

thanks for the info..i will have a look at that route this evening...

have you stayed in turin...i have tried a couple of posts asking for info but got no replies...maybe not a popular m/homing destination ?

we are going specifically to see the shroud....and have a booking for each day 12-20th...which gives us plenty of leeway (we hope ) *-)

nearest campsite appears to be villa rey....

any further info would be a great help

cheers

berti

Archived