Chocks

J9withdogs

Okay, I know you 'experts' are going to say I'm having a blonde moment but...

If I park on a very unlevel pitch (as I did at CC Cheltenham Racecourse this weekend) which slopes in two directions, can I put a leveller under just one wheel?

No-one else seemed to have done this, so I wondered whether it would cause any damage to the van.

Don't profess to be an 'expert' but no reason why not, IMO. We often have differing levels on the levellers using two so one wheel is higher than the others) so using one doesn't to me seem any different. Mind you perhaps I am being thick (blonde) but I am just trying to work out a scenario where having the pitch out of level in two directions could be cured using only one leveller!!

Bas

Putting only a single leveller under a wheel is the sensible thing to do in your circumstances. I would have thought that a single leveller puts less strain on the chassis if you have a diagonal slope.

We have also had levellers on same side but one more firmly under than the other.

In general we are not too fussed about being level, but there comes a time when for safety reasons (especially in kitchen) it becomes necessary.

Joyce

J9withdogs - 2010-04-21 1:10 PM

If I park on a very unlevel pitch (as I did at CC Cheltenham Racecourse this weekend) which slopes in two directions, can I put a leveller under just one wheel?

No-one else seemed to have done this, so I wondered whether it would cause any damage to the van.

Bit disappointed.

I thought this was going to be about Cadburys Dairy Milk.

As all four wheels are independantly sprung, one chock under one wheel shouldn't be a problem.

(... and never mind about everyone else - they may not be level ).

;-)

The object is to get the front of the vehicle level across and you can get a situation where one leveller is further under than the opposite one, you can also have two levellers on the same side if this achieves the objective of levelling the van as on a sideways slope for instance. Just make sure the handbrake is firmly applied and/or there are chocks behind the wheels. B-)

bigal - 2010-04-21 3:27 PM

The object is to get the front of the vehicle level across and you can get a situation where one leveller is further under than the opposite one, you can also have two levellers on the same side if this achieves the objective of levelling the van as on a sideways slope for instance. Just make sure the handbrake is firmly applied and/or there are chocks behind the wheels. B-)

... and it's in gear.

;-)

J9withdogs - 2010-04-21 1:10 PM

Janine. I have done this on many occasions over 3 years and had no problems so far. Similarly, no problems encountered with one wheel at the top of a ramp and one part way up another where necessary.

Bob

Archived