LED Bulbs

zaria123

Hi All

I was thinking of replacing the existing interior light bulbs in my motorhome with LED replacements, as they appear to offer considerable enegry savings.

In all there are 15 lights inside the vehicle:

4 x Ceiling Flourescent style (two small and two larger circular semi flush with slightly domed cover)

8 x Halogen MR Style (Bathroom and reading lights)

3 x Internal Cupboard Lights G4 Style

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the flourescent syle bulbs to LED without changing the light fitting?

Has anyone else fitted these bulbs? If so what is the light quality like, and is there much difference between the options of Cool White and Warm White?

Cheers

Alan

zaria123 - 2010-04-21 1:30 PM

Hi All

I was thinking of replacing the existing interior light bulbs in my motorhome with LED replacements, as they appear to offer considerable enegry savings.

In all there are 15 lights inside the vehicle:

4 x Ceiling Flourescent style (two small and two larger circular semi flush with slightly domed cover)

8 x Halogen MR Style (Bathroom and reading lights)

3 x Internal Cupboard Lights G4 Style

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the flourescent syle bulbs to LED without changing the light fitting?

Has anyone else fitted these bulbs? If so what is the light quality like, and is there much difference between the options of Cool White and Warm White?

Cheers

Alan

I think you can get a strip of LEDs that you might be able to fit inside a fluorescent light fitting after having removed the tube and circuit board, need some electrical skills though...

Regarding the difference between cool and warm white, it really down to personal taste, you have to try them out and see which you prefer, you might like cool white for a reading lamp and the bathroom, and warm white for 'ambient' lighting.

If you go to a show, Aten Lighting usually have a stand and they are often willing for you to swap types so that you end up with what you want. I did this last year, I bought a couple of their square LED lights to replace the bulbs in our awning lights, I thought that cool white would be best, but didn't like them. Aten swapped them for warm white the next day with no quibble.

Andy

I am in the process of changing over to LED`s. I bought 4 G4`s, 2 bright white and 2 warm white.

The warm white seem about the same as the original 10 watt Halogens. If I buy any more, I will go for warm white with a slightly higher output eg; 12 or 13 watt, instead of straight 10 watt equivalents.

The bright white, I fitted in the kitchen area and the boss likes the light they give off. They shine directly on to the Hob and work surface.

The warm white are rated slightly lower than the bright white in Lumens.

The problem I am having is replacing the MR 16 35 watt Halogen. I can get LED`s of a lower wattage eg 20 watts but the higher wattage types will probably foul the light fitting. So if anyone knows where I can get a replacement, I would be grateful. The ones I have found so far are about 10 mm longer overall. It was a fiddle to get the Halogen out and I doubt if the bigger LED will go in.

I was thinking of changing the eight Halogen bulbs but at £7 each for a LED bulb that’s £56 to change and as we don’t have all eight on at once we find that the two 110 amp leisure batteries can cope fine and we seldom have an electric hook-up. So we decided against it. But each to there own if you do have a look at this site.

http://www.ledbulbs4u.co.uk/

If your ceiling lights are the Crown type similar to This One you need to change the full fitting. Having changed the tungsten filament lamps in our spotlights and the G4 halogen one in the shower with LEDs from Aten Lighting I asked about the crown fittings and was advised that I wasn't really worth it because of the cost and they don't use that much juice. As it is we hardly ever use them anyway, preferring to use the spotlights most of the time.

Graham.

We changed six lights in our van to L E D s and the difference is fantastic, we bought the white light variety as we like bright light, the LEDs give more light than the Halogen original, and are supposed to use less power and probably do.I bought ours at the Malvern show last year,I was amazed that no matter what your original bulb is there is an LED to match the fitting.I was given to understand that changing fluoresent lights for LED is no gain, is that correct?

Archived