Mattress Toppers

phantom

Hi all

found this season that our Elddis cushions just aren't as spongy and comfy as last year or we have got heavier.

We were thinking that a memory foam mattress topper might help.

Does anyone have any experience of these in a van and how easy are they to store?

Thanks Apparition

Hi Phantom

I have a back problem and so bought a Memory foam mattress, from Argos, and found it a boon,comfortable to sleep on ,cold when you first hit it but soon warms up it has made a great difference to my comfort in bed,we have a fixed bed so dont have the problem of storage,they are quite bulky even when rolled up,my brother stores his in the shower room of his Motorhome in the day time.  make sure you get at least a two to three inch thick mattress,otherwise you get no benefit from it, hope this is of some help ,  Dennis

J9

I have never had a memory foam bed in a van, but we have one at home and you would never need an all night electric blanket with it.

Memory foam is noticibly hotter than other forms of mattress once it has warmed-up. It can be as cold as any other bed (except for a water bed) when you first get in, but then they certainly heat up!

J9withdogs - 2010-04-21 4:58 PM

Can you use an all-night electric blanket with memory foam?

I do like to be warm (lol)

Well don't be so picky then :D

gf loves her memory foam topper, I can't get on with them, so we have memory foam one side and 'eggbox' on other.

J9withdogs - 2010-04-21 4:58 PM Can you use an all-night electric blanket with memory foam? I do like to be warm (lol)
Janine we have been using an all night Over electric blanket with our Memory foam mattress at home and never had any problems in the past two years , now you made me think about carrying one in the M/H,gets really cold in the highlands some nights.

We have the Rakself mattress topper and it is superb-had it probably 3 years now and is still as good as new. However we have a fixed bed and feel it would be quite a nuisance to have to roll it up and store it as it is quite bulky.

Maybe if you have a twin bed van you could store two singles under the cushions during the day?

Comfort wise you can't beat them though

Mike & Jackie

Hi Phantom

We have a Tempur Memoryfoam double bed topper at home.

Memory foam toppers are useful if you need them, but they can be VERY hot to sleep on.

(bt that can be a bonus taking this last winter into consideration)

There are also a lot of poor quality Memory foam toppers on the market. (been there, done that & replaced after 15 months.) They also tend to take up a lot of space when not laid out over the bed & good quality one's can be heavy.

A good quality 2" topper (Tempur or similar) will cost upto £400 & difficult to handle (size & weight)

If you consider the cost, you could get the existing cushions replaced with good quality foam for less money than a Memory foam topper & you don't need the additional storage space for a topper during the day.

Various Foam companies can incorporate Memory foam into their cushion manufacture, so this IMHO would be better option.

We found the memory foam topper too hot, especially in the summer and warmer climates. We changed to a feather topper and - BRILLIANT! Although we have used a waterbed at home for nearly 30 years (my arthritis) we now sleep really well on the new topper. Worth a try? :-D

Archived