WAECO Fridge Noise

Mike88

Has anyone got a Waeco Coolmatic fridge? Mine is fitted to a 2010 Swift Mondial. It works efficiently but is very noisy necessitating me to switch it off when inside the van. The thermostat works as the noise only happens when the motor is running. Is this normal?

The Dometic fridge on my previous van was completely inaudible so are Waeco fridges noisy or is there likely to be something wrong with it such as a stuck fan.

We have 6 year old Coolmatic MDC-110, it's quiet, but not silent, when running, I can hear the motor running if I listen for it. Does yours have a fan fitted? Ours doesn't, but I'm thinking of fitting one as it is supposed to make them more efficient and I could do with cutting down the power consumption.

Andy

Yes it has a fan. In the troubleshooting part of the handbook one of the reasons for noise is a stuck fan but it is not excessively noisy - more like a drone but annoying nevertheless.

But I think Colin has produced the answer. It is an absorption fridge and by definition is noisier than other types. I'll just have to get used to it.

Mike88 - 2010-04-21 7:49 PM

Yes it has a fan. In the troubleshooting part of the handbook one of the reasons for noise is a stuck fan but it is not excessively noisy - more like a drone but annoying nevertheless.

But I think Colin has produced the answer. It is an absorption fridge and by definition is noisier than other types. I'll just have to get used to it.

One option might be to change the fan for one of the 'ultra quiet' computer case fans that are available. My guess is that it's going to be a standard sized 12vdc fan so should be a direct swap.

Andy

Mike88 - 2010-04-21 7:49 PM ....... It is an absorption fridge and by definition is noisier than other types. I'll just have to get used to it.

Because I'm a pedant :-)  It is a compressor fridge: it is the absorption ones that are silent, because they have no moving parts.

Mike - I've had 12v compressor fridges in my previous boating life and none of them have been what I would consider to be noisy, just a quiet hum. On my last boat the galley was shared with the saloon and I sometimes I slept with the fridge just feet away from my head and it didn't bother me, and I'm a light sleeper.

If it's more than a very quiet hum I would suggest that something is amiss. Maybe a fault with the unit but perhaps a vibration caused by something in contact with it.

Maybe worth a chat with Eddie Vanbitz as I think he supplies Waeco equipment and could advise on the noise level of that particular model.

Roly

I run a self build camper on a VW T5. My fridge is a Waeco CR65 with a fan as original. Yes there is some noise from both the compressor and the fan but it is minimal.

As you can guess wherever we sleep in a T5 it cannot be far from the fridge! It has never disturbed us.

If the noise persists, it may be worthwhile checking that the flexible mounts are indeed flexible, sometimes on pumps they are over tightened and go solid. Maybe worth a look to see if the unit is catching on any of the surrounding structure, possibly only when the van is inclined one way?

Rgds

Stuart

Archived