Euro breakdown Ins any vehicle annual

TonyHilary

Hi, Does anyone know if its possible to get personal [ i.e. me driving any car or motorbike or motorhome ] breakdown insurance including Europe on an annual basis...and also possibly covering a French registered vehicle...all on one poilicy. A big 'ask' which may be why I cant find one! How nice it would be to just have it all on one policy. :-S

My wife and I both have jobs where we do a lot of independant travelling either in our own vehicles or with colleagues as well as using each other's vehicles and either of us could be driving our motorhome alone.  So we went for the Caravan Club's 'Mayday' service which uses Green Flag.

We also went for the 'Personal' add-on which means that any vehicle which I or my wife happens to be travelling in is covered.  All for about £90 per year (I think) which is a very competitive cost for what you get.

This doesn't cover European travel unfortunately but as we only go abroad two or three times a year for varying durations it isn't too much of a hassle and we arrange cover on a case by case basis.

I agree that it would be great to have cover for UK and EU use and would certainly sign up to such a system if it was competitively priced.

W2G

The Camping and Caravanning club have an RAC scheme called ARRIVAL, it will cover you and your partner in any vehicle you or partner are driving or are Passengers in, it also covers European driving, but I think the Europe cover is for 90 days only in one session.Any size or length or weight of vehicle, car and caravan also, you have to be a member of the club to get it, but that is great value too. :-) :-)

On other forums people have mentioned the ADAC the German organisation that does pan European breakdown insurance at waht seems a very reaosnable price. There is some information in English on their website but you do have to search but a knowledge of German would, no doubt, be an advantage.

David

Tony+Hilary - 2010-04-21 11:11 PM

Hi, Does anyone know if its possible to get personal [ i.e. me driving any car or motorbike or motorhome ] breakdown insurance including Europe on an annual basis...and also possibly covering a French registered vehicle...all on one poilicy. A big 'ask' which may be why I cant find one! How nice it would be to just have it all on one policy. :-S

ADAC will do it. http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/default.aspx gives a brief introduction in English but the online documentation is in German. When I joined a couple of years ago I asked for details in English and they were able to email me most of it. I joined via email with my credit card details but I understand it's just as easy to do it by phone, you quickly get transferred to and English speaking operator.

Andy

You could try talking to Comfort Insurance, 0208 984 0777, about Horizon Advantage Plus insurance.  This is insurance for the motorhome that can be enhanced through two levels of Europe wide breakdown cover, both provided via the RAC, termed "Advantage", and "Advantage Plus".  The "flyer" I have from Comfort says Advantage Plus gives personal RAC cover for any other vehicle the proposer is driving, or is a passenger in.  Cover is provide within UK and EC.  No restriction on size or age of motorhome.  Vehicles over 10 years old except your own motorhome are exempt.  The insurance is from Aviva, is well and clearly written, and the scope of breakdown cover in written into the policy booklet, scope of applicability as stated on the policy schedule.  The "extra over" cost of the breakdown element is very reasonable compared to most other variants.

I have a feeling you will be unable to insure a foreign registered vehicle in UK.  I believe all vehicle insurances must be with companies licensed to write insurance in the state in which the vehicle is registered.  Cross border licenses are available, but are expensive, so companies generally register to trade only state by state, and not across borders.

My van is insured with Comfort and I have their breakdown insurance, The reason I don't use the CCC club I previously posted about is the 90 day limit for any one trip, Comforts don't have a limit. On our recent trip to Portugal I had occassion to use the breakdown cover as my clutch went, I got myself to a Fiat garage in Beja Portugal and arranged repair myself, but I involved the insurance for Hotel accomodation, the service from the insurance was brilliant, they arranged for us to stay in an Hotel with meals and phoned us regularly to ensure we were OK, and they all spoke English although they were based in France. :-) :-) :-)

We too use Comfort, having changed from Caravan Club as the latter told us their policy does not include "non-camping" holidays, not good as we take the odd Hotel holiday too.

This may or not be a factor to consider.

Stuart

Thanks everyone,

The only sticklers now seem to be motorbike breakdown if

a/. carrying/trailering a scooter from uk and using it in EC or

b/. breakdown of my other French registered bike..

Its a pain to have to have different breakdown insurances starting at different dates.....I can only ride/drive one vehicle at a time!!

There's always added cost when you try to have fun fun fun !!!

Just in process of renewing my motorhome policy currently with Safeguard, and got quote from Comfort (who I have used in the past).

They were a bit cheaper than Safeguard, including UK/Euro breakdown for the motorhome, and I could add any other vehicle in which I am travelling - agian Euro wide, for an extra £57, using their Horizon plus scheme....so may be worthwhile, depending on what the cover would be to include on an existing car policy.

Certainly worthwhile looking at.

Basil - 2010-04-26 12:33 PM

Brittania Rescue (Liverpool Victoria Insurance) with personal cover will cover you in/ on any vehicle of any age anywhere in Europe.

http://www.britanniarescue.com/?cid=breakdown/ppc/google/partners/britanniarescue/Britannia%20rescue/broad

there is discount for some occupations and pensioners as well.

Bas

Thanks Basil, It still doesn't cover motorbikes and seems more expensive than others., so I'll have to have separate policies.

Tony+Hilary - 2010-04-27 1:23 PM

Thanks Basil, It still doesn't cover motorbikes and seems more expensive than others., so I'll have to have separate policies.

Sorry don't know where you got that information but they are definately covered, see section B paragraph 5 which I quote

"Motorcycles – we will offer help at the roadside, but if this fails, we will take you, your motorcycle and any pillion passenger to an acceptable destination dependent on your cover entitlement."

I know this to be correct as I have used it! Also it is one of the cheapest if you have a qualifying occupation or pensionership.

Bas

P.S. Of course Carol Nash give you breakdown cover as a free part of your annual bike insurance, they have been cheapest on their quotes by far for me for the last three years.

I am also covered by Britannia Rescue for my car and motorhome for breakdown recovery in the UK and Europe. They have given me excellent service over the years, none more so than a Sunday afternoon 2 weeks ago in France. Within 1 hour of calling their UK phone number for assistance we were being recovered by a local French agent.

John

hi, If the french car or motorhome has french insurance then breakdown cover is in the insurance, It is the law in france to have breakdown cover.

we have the RAC for european cover on our cars, we had to use it one year and it was very good, all english spreaking and very nice to deal with.

terry

Just out of interest, I've just taken out some Short Term European Breakdown Cover with http://www.cheap4travelcover.com/Breakdown.aspx is it helps anyone.

We're off to Europe for 8 days in June and I looked on the Green Flag web site which would cover me for £40 whilst the AA quoted me £48.  However, when I entered my details into the link above I got it - with Green Flag - for £29.  Bargain.

The policy states . . . . .

"Does not exceed (including any load carried) the following gross vehicle weight

and dimensions: 3,500kg in weight, 8m in length, 3m in height and 2.25m in width."

Archived