beam benders

snudgy

I have a new peugeot boxer autoquest has anyone any ideas in fitting beam benders,peugeot say, point van at a wall from the light display on wall apply benders??????? sound a bit Heath Robinson to me. there must be an easyer way than that, fat lot of good when waiting at the docks to cross over to europe. Best joke of the day Paul

Pauline's quite right on this. All the trial and error stuff, pointing at garage door etc, can be done at home, at your leisure, leaving just a simple clip-on job at the ferryport.

Somewhere on another thread I've described how I fitted mine on the INSIDE of a pair of protectors. I'll find it if you're interested.

Yes please. thanks for your help folks. Ive just ordered my protectors from an ad in our mag these come with blanking out patches as well its a trade ad in lincs I will post when they arrive and let you all know how I get on

On the subject of beam benders, I use a pair of the circular 'anti dazzle' yellow clip on plastic jobs. I must have had them for 40 years or so. As the clips don't fit, I stick them on with a thin strip of gaffer tape.......top and bottom.

I'm not absolutely sure that they're still legal in Europe, never been pulled though.

What with overloading the axles / towing / gas attacks / Footpads & Highway men.........its all a bit of a worry.

Tony Jones - 2010-04-22 5:54 PM

Pauline's quite right on this. All the trial and error stuff, pointing at garage door etc, can be done at home, at your leisure, leaving just a simple clip-on job at the ferryport.

Somewhere on another thread I've described how I fitted mine on the INSIDE of a pair of protectors. I'll find it if you're interested.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19376&posts=10

Thanks John, but there was another thread where I explained my weird idea.

From some motor spares shops, you can buy "universal" beam-benders which will work either RHD>LHD or LHD>RHD, depending which way round you fit them. You still do the thing about pointing the lights at a wall or garage, and identifying where the "benders" need to go to deflect the high bit of light to the left. But you use them the "wrong" way round, and stick them on the INSIDE of the protectors, which gives you a smooth surface to keep clean, and also makes it less likely they'll peel off. Mine have now done 5 European trips with no problems.

If that needs clarifying, I'll try!

Tony Jones - 2010-04-22 10:29 PM

From some motor spares shops, you can buy "universal" beam-benders which will work either RHD>LHD or LHD>RHD, depending which way round you fit them. You still do the thing about pointing the lights at a wall or garage, and identifying where the "benders" need to go to deflect the high bit of light to the left. But you use them the "wrong" way round, and stick them on the INSIDE of the protectors, which gives you a smooth surface to keep clean, and also makes it less likely they'll peel off. Mine have now done 5 European trips with no problems.

Hi Tony

Possibly not the same site, but if I remember correctly this is the type of Deflectors on some earlier post.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEADLAMP-BEAM-DEFLECTORS-HEAD-LIGHT-CONVERTERS-ADAPTOR_W0QQitemZ160391444399QQcategoryZ9885QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9024885970991848725

Very interested in all the above, but there is an article in this month's MMM that says it takes a couple of hours to fit headlamp protectors. I've got two left hands when it comes to the technical stuff, so the idea of beam benders permanently fitted to protectors, that can just be clipped on in seconds, really appeals. Are there different kinds of protectors? If so, which ones should i go for please? (2009 Bessacarr E520 on latest Ducato).

First post, but you look like a helpful lot!!!

Tony Jones - 2010-04-22 10:29 PM

Hi, have just tried search it works if you put in "HEADLIGHTPROTECTORS" author "DaveH" limit your search to 1 year it shows a photo of the beambenders fitted and details of an E-bay site to purhase them from

:->

Poult - 2010-04-24 9:54 AM

Very interested in all the above, but there is an article in this month's MMM that says it takes a couple of hours to fit headlamp protectors. I've got two left hands when it comes to the technical stuff, so the idea of beam benders permanently fitted to protectors, that can just be clipped on in seconds, really appeals. Are there different kinds of protectors? If so, which ones should i go for please? (2009 Bessacarr E520 on latest Ducato).

First post, but you look like a helpful lot!!!

Think their may be a bit of confusion here. I have Fiat headlight protectors, but they are the same, and they took about fifteen minutes to fit, if someone took two hours they must have three left hands. They cannot be just clipped on and of so I leave mine on all the time and just peel the black bits off. These can be reused if carefull, you get a couple of sets with the protectors. Oh welcome to the forum.

Hi Poult & welcome to the forum.

I hope the following info will help.

We have 2 pair of Headlamp Protectors (I was fortunate to get some clearance stock @ £10 per pair) Unfortunately the Company we purchased from do not have any left & are not restocking.

Most of the aftermarket Protectors appear to originate from Australia & are in the mid to upper £40/£50 price bracket.

Ours are designated for the Fait Ducato 2006 onwards & I had no problems fitting them to our Peugeot Boxer.

First fitting time was around 10 minutes per deflector. They are left in position all the time except when I wash the Van. It only takes 2/3 minutes to remove the Protectors and the same to fit them back. It is a simple task as long as you dont try to force the issue.

Our 2nd pair are fitted with Deflectors as I was unsure if the tape would a) damage the plastic or be difficult to remove.) Ours do not have any markings for Deflectors & that job took longer than fitting the Protectors.

Poult.

The ones on formula 4x4 are for the new Ducato. I bought a pair last month. They take about 15 minutes to fit, removing the plastic moulding by the bonnet is a bit daunting with the first one as you dont know how much force to use to get it off. I leave them on permanent just remove the black deflectors. They are marked Fiat.

If you leave them on they hopeful do what they are supposed to do Protect the Headlamps.

Archived