London Camp site

RogP

I'm trying to arrange a surprise London Theatre break for my wifes 40th birthday later this year. (dont worry she doesn't use this forum so I haven't let the cat out...yet!!!)

Can anyone give me some pointers for the campsites in and around London.

As my wife cant walk far I need to make sure that either bus or tube is fairly close by that will get us to theatreland in one easy go. I also want to get in some other sightseeing and maybe to the London Eye.

Any good advice welcome as I want to get going on booking tickets and sites etc so I dont miss out.

Depends what you mean by 'fairly close' but you won't do much better than the Caravan Club site at Abbey Wood.

Train (main-line) station is 5 minutes walk away, with trains to/from Central London at all hours (including late return after night out), and all included in a reasonably-priced travelcard which will also do for the tube and buses.

If you want a slower but more scenic journey into London, the bus to Greenwich is even closer, and you can change there for routes into C London, including the Docklands Light Railway, all in same travelcard.

The site itself is very pleasant, with a rural feel even though it is surrounded by built-up areas. Not bad to reach either off the M25 S of the Dartford Crossing.

It is in the London Low Emission Zone (LEZ) but not the Congestion Charge Zone, so a check on current LEZ status of your vehicle would be appropriate.

Robinhood - 2010-04-23 2:49 PM

Depends what you mean by 'fairly close' but you won't do much better than the Caravan Club site at Abbey Wood.

Train (main-line) station is 5 minutes walk away, with trains to/from Central London at all hours (including late return after night out), and all included in a reasonably-priced travelcard which will also do for the tube and buses.

If you want a slower but more scenic journey into London, the bus to Greenwich is even closer, and you can change there for routes into C London, including the Docklands Light Railway, all in same travelcard.

The site itself is very pleasant, with a rural feel even though it is surrounded by built-up areas. Not bad to reach either off the M25 S of the Dartford Crossing.

It is in the London Low Emission Zone (LEZ) but not the Congestion Charge Zone, so a check on current LEZ status of your vehicle would be appropriate.

Abbey Wood is a great location and can be used by non members of the Caravan Club. if you decide to stay on this one for a while you can join the Caravan club there and you will save a lot of money on the fees as members get cheaper rates. Another great site is Crystal Palace Easy access to central London and the same advice applies, Have fun, Malc.

I'm sure a similar request has been on this forum from someone else in the West Midlands but the search link may not be working. We also live in the West Midlands and we use the CC site at Crystal Palace. It is a flat walk of a few minutes to the bus stop from the site. The number 3 bus goes to Oxford Circus via Trafalgar Square. It also stops opposite Brixton tube station so you could transfer onto tube there if you so wish. The bus service is very frequent - between 4 and 12 minutes depending on time of day. There is also a night service.

Combined bus/tube tickets are sometimes available at site reception. They can also be obtained, in advance if required, at the newsagent on Crystal Palace Parade.

Have a good visit.

we tend to stay at CC Abbey Wood, but given your comments about access, would suggest Crystal Palace may be better, as there is a short level walk to the Bus stop for no 3, which will take you direct to Oxford Circus via Trafalgar Square, which is very convenient for many theatres.

The only possible drawback is late night return services (when we last used them some years ago!) end to run in 3s about every 30./40 mins, rather htan one per 20 mins!

You can get a one day travelcard off peak for use after 9.30, whcih is very good value, alhtough I'm not sure if they are still available at the site office, otherwise you do need to find a 'shop' up in the main Crystal Palace area who sells them...you cannot get them once on the bus, and i think you have to buy all tickets for London Buses before you get on them!

Abbey Wood is excellent, but the walk back from the station is mostly uphill,though only about 10mins!

If you are an 'oldie' with a bus pass the excellent service from Crystal Palace to the West End is free (but not the attractions when you get there!) as often as you like.

Sorry, I forgot you were taking your wife - she might not appreciate some of the attractions!

Crystal Palace we thought was the better located site of the two, plenty of resturants a few minutes walk away. No 3 Bus 30mins-50mins into Central London depending on time of day, day bus ticket available from newsagent is £3.90 - unless you have Bus Pass.

Abbey Wood not the best end of town as demonstrated by the electric fence around the site, no problem during the day, a little dubious getting off the train and walking back in the dark, though the site itself is a bit nicer than Crystal Palace. Train connection into London is good.

Archived