Hymer tyres

snail

Hi all, van due for first MOT, need new front tyres at 18,000 miles! they should be better than this shouldn't they? inside edges worn told this is due to the power steering/common on A class vans, anyone else getting short life on A class vans, my last van was a coachbuilt and they were still ok at 30,000 miles, should i stay with the xc camping at a cost of £265.00 the pair fitted, is that a fair price or change to something else? whats your experience of them?

thanks Brian

Hi. I do not see how being an A class could cause the tyres to wear any differently than a coachbuilt. Our A class Hymer has done 20000miles, the treads are wearing evenly, with plenty of tread left. I would suspect that your tracking is out. Good replacements would be :- " Michelin AGILIS camping, they are also rated as mud and snow tyres.

Regards. Brian B.

Hi

"inside edges worn told this is due to the power steering/common on A class vans, "

Worn edges on tyres generally indicate the tracking is out.

Or sometimes shot Shock Absorbers, but at 18k I would not expect prime culprit is tracking.

If it was the power steering it would affect all types, Coachbuilt, Low Profile, Panel Vans, etc.. Not just on "A" classvans.

This apppears to be a common problem with tracking being out on new motorhome vehicles. Probably Fiat set it up with the front unloaded and being a basic chassis is very light at front end so suspension rides high when setting. The motorhome builder should reset the tracking and not all do.

My van when new was pointing out 5mm more than it should be.

I have known some owners with 2.8L engines on 02/06 ducato chassis only get 8K miles.

It would be interesting to know who said this was the case, and who has been doing the servicing.  If it was a Fiat commercial service centre in both cases, I suggest you find another!

Power steering doesn't alter steering geometry.  Wear on the inside edges is indicative of excess toe-out, or of more serious front suspension mis-alignment.  I'm a little surprised you haven't noticed your van wandering and tram-lining on straights, as the tyres fight for supremacy over direction.  A little toe-out is normal for FWD vehicles, because transmitting power causes the front wheels to toe-in, and the intention is to keep the wheels approximately parallel when under power.  RWD vehicles will normally be set neutral, or slightly toed-in.  It may be the geometry was not re-set by Hymer, nor checked during PDI, or it may be the van has been "kerbed" and the geometry knocked out of line.

When a vehicle is serviced it should be lifted, and the service activities should include visual inspection of the tyres, usually at the same time as the pressures are checked and re-set.  The abnormal wear should have been visible over the past two services, and should have been pointed out to you, with the suggestion the tracking be checked and adjusted.  This failure to spot the defect indicates either something of a dereliction of duty by the technician, or that the van has been kerbed since its last service, presumably about a year ago.

Yes, I would stick with the XC campings, they usually wear very well, at the expense of some loss of grip, because they have a slightly harder tread mix to resist development of "flats" when standing for long periods.

I'm at 28,000 miles on my Hymer 544 05 plate. Plenty of tread left front (5mm) and rear (7mm). I'm on Michelin camping tyres. If it wasn't for the age of the tyres (04$, I reckon I'll get 40,000 miles from the front pair.

Brian is right, at each service, Fiat has noted the depth of tread and it is consistent across the tyre. I've always run on the recommended tyre pressure of 5 bar, about 78 psi? Under inflation can cause tyre wear but I doubt they would have caused all your problems.

I've always run on Michelin camping tyres for the 15 years I've had a motorhome.

hello and thanks for all the replies, no my van has never been kerbed whilst I have been driving it, no it has never been pointed out to me at any service, brownhills swindon have done all the services, and the power steering/A class was talking to other owners at sites, maybe they have had the same problem with the steering not set up correctly after conversion, which is where I am going with my and your conclusions, there is absolutely no play or wear in the front end at all, so just down to poor service from brownhills again, still now I am over the three year warranty period I can find somewhere else and just have the hymer damp test done there, thanks again Brian

A little bird told me tracking is not checked on the Sevel production line but should be done at 1500 miles when steering bushes etc have settled in. This info may be tucked away in the owners handbook.

I seem to remember that tracking is no longer checked during routine servicing. Word fail me.

Fleet managers choose vehicles on the basis of projected servicing costs as provided by the manufacturers and the less there is to check the cheaper the costs. Well at least most of the time.

I'm puzzled by your comments re the three year's warranty period.  I assume the period in question is the Fiat warranty?  If so, it is given by Fiat and any Fiat authorised repairer can carry out warranty work on the Fiat elements.  Any bona fide garage is entitled to carry out servicing activities, provided they use Fiat parts or certified equivalents, and the correct spec oils, and properly complete the service record.  You were never beholden to Brownhills for these tasks and, so far as I am aware, if they tried to tie you in exclusively to them, they did so in contravention of Sale of Goods, Unfair Contract Terms, legislation. 

I'd suggest you get the van to a "proper" Fiat commercial dealership as quickly as possible, and get them to check it over.  It will be pointless trying to get satisfaction from Bh over the tyres, because they will be bound to claim it was OK when they last had it, so it must have been kerbed or damaged since - and you can't prove otherwise.  :-(

Seems they're still working hard on their flawless reputation, and that in the meantime this particular leopard hasn't changed his spots after all, doesn't it?

Archived