route from turin ...via pavia, cremona, mantua, to vicenza...info needed...anyone been

berti

hi everyone

anyone visited anywhere along this route

info needed on ...

where to stay....public transport to centre...

will have 2/3 days at each ....so best places to see ..etc ...

mbh particularly wishes to visit vicenza.....palladian villas...

cheers

berti

Hi Berti,

The only place we have visited from your list (so far) is Vicenza . We stayed on a camping cheque site about a 30 minute bus ride from the city centre - the bus stopped at the campsite gateway - and glad we did.... our friends drove in with a hire car and picked up a hefty fine - they are not sure if it was emmissions or congestion charge....

Beautiful sites in that area and you will love it - can't wait to follow your thread on this one! ;-)

By the way, if you like terracotta garden statues / ornaments etc. we know just the place near the camp site - I can let you have the details if you need them (we bought "Angelo" (beautiful water feature angel) back in our MH - much admired and not overly expensive either) B-)

We had one night at Cremona in 2008. It was just a stopover and we didn't go into the city. The camping ground facilities were very tired but worked OK. Once dusk came we were descended upon by hoards of biting insects, mainly mosquitoes. We've never been anywhere so bad. Italian friends said that area around the Po river is notorious for mosquitoes so go prepared! We didn't and suffered the consequences.

Alistair

good morning catinou and alistair

thanks for replying.....it's all these little bits of info that are so useful...

would never have even thought of mossi problems !!

always better to get 'the low-down' ...personally... from one of us...we think

if it isn't any trouble catinou...site and water feature shop info would come in handy...

we will probably be fed up of sightseeing by that time....

that sounds a nice change...mbh has calculated the space available for any purchase (lol)

just noticed that you are in NZ alistair.....are you holidaying there ?

it's on our wish list to visit....WHEN i retire...or should that be... IF I WILL BE ABLE to retire :-(

cheers

berti

Hi Berti. I'm a born and bred Kiwi. We lived in the UK during the second half of the 1970s and acquired a taste for motorhoming then as we clocked up 30,000 UK & European miles in our VW Dormobile D4/6 (great vehicle!) in two years. We're now semi-retired and have spent the last 3 northern summers in our middle-aged Autosleeper Duetto travelling around your part of the world in more leisurely fashion than we did in the VW. Our fourth season starts at the end of May. Our van is in storage in Dorset at present.

There have been a few threads on this forum about touring in NZ, and I've made a few comments on some of them. We've never motorhomed here but have camped for decades and we know the South Island very well. Always happy to assist with advice should you find a way to get here! We had friends from Scotland here recently. They toured by car for 3 weeks in the North Island and hired a motorhome for 3 weeks touring here in the South. They started out regarding it as the trip of a lifetime and ended up thinking of it as a reconnaissance mission for their next visit!

Good luck with the wish list!

Alistair

Archived