France and Italy August

topaz

Hi all, we purchased our first motorhome last year and will be taking it abroad this August. Not the best time we know but unavoidable as we wish to join our son in a chalet in France as well.

I would be very grateful to know whether we need to book ahead on sites or will there still be available pitches. We like small sites if possible.

I have the Europe 1 and 2 books from the caravan club and will be picking up All The Aires from the show at Peterborough. What are your thoughts on the France Passion scheme and how well does it work?

My gut feeling, having been in France looking for B&B in August is that boooking will be required but does the same apply to sites.

Just echoing Henry's advice, but adding that you will increase you choices if you avoid the traditional holiday areas, largely along the coast, or near main attractions (Disneyland, Futuroscope, Parc Asterix etc).  A lot of sites close their barriers (and mow the vacant pitches and even clean the facilities :-)) between 12:00 and 14:00, so if you arrive too early you may have to wait outside.  Almost all sites will charge an extra day if you aren't off-site by 12:00, so the departers tend to go before lunch, leaving you the pick of the vacant pitches if you arrive as soon after the barriers re-open as possible.

If considering aires, unless there is a daily charge, many have lunch before leaving, so arriving around 15:00 is probably better.  I don't think the pressure on France passion sites is so extreme, so unless there is a local event that draws the crowds, you should be pretty much OK. 

As with all things, it will probably pay to have a reserve up you sleeve whatever type of stopover you choose.

Thanks for that. We are away from the coast as we are heading towards mont Blanc tunnel. Looking at the possibility of stopping around or in Langres ( I see there is a municiple within the walls). Also on the possible list are Annecy and Aosta in Italy. If anyone has any suggestions in these or other areas close by all appreciated.

thanks

Colin

If you want to stay in the Chamonix area before using the tunnel, I can recommend Camping du Glacier at Argentiere, a little way further up the valley towards the Swiss border. Superb setting, and quieter and greener than the sites closer in. We were there in August a couple of years ago, and though it was relatively busy we found ourselves a good, flat spot. One thing to note is that (though there may be a minimum stay period of a couple of nights, and you may need to ask at reception) the Chamonix valley offers free bus/train travel passes to all registered guests, and as this site is near the railway, they are most useful (free from the bottom of the valley to the Swiss border - great for walking the 'balcony' routes and then returning by train).

We found that Italy was somewhat more difficult to get a site in August without booking, though we still managed. Some years ago we dropped into Aosta over the Little St Bernard Pass, and stayed up the side valley beyond Cogne, at Valnontey in the Gran Paradiso national park. Absolutely wonderful scenery, and though the site was full when we arrived, they booked us onto a pitch where someone was leaving, and let us wait.

There was a large Aire (Sosta) on the way up the valley, from memory in Cogne, but this was also very busy (I guess we could have got on it, but compared to the great campsite we eventually used, the surroundings were less than attractive).

Never booked a site in France or Italy & never had a problem as Brian says Annecy can be busy but if one site is full there's usually space on the next one.

After Assumption day 15th August French sites tend to quieten down (end of French Holidays) & buy the end of the week only Germans, Dutch & English left.

lennyhb - 2010-04-24 4:31 PM

After Assumption day 15th August French sites tend to quieten down (end of French Holidays)

..although somewhat true that the French tend to wind down and return from mid August their school holidays do not end till the end of August. Traffic forecasts (from bison fute see http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/en/) still show that the roads will be busy at the weekends.

topaz - 2010-04-25 1:42 PM

We are actually going mid August to the end so hopefully will be a bit quieter then if holidays finished. Fingers crossed.

Yes, we usually do that, just as the sites in France begin to clear a bit, and that was when we were at Argentiere.

As I say, we weren't offered the travel passes by default, but I had read about it before going, so we went and asked at reception when we wanted them. Got cards for all the family, for free.

Details at http://www.chamonix.com/page.php?page=13&r=transport_in_the_valley&ling=en

Guest JudgeMental
If you want the best sites in the best areas, particularly if near the sea or a lake you need to book IMO. if not bothered where you stay you will all ways find something :-D

Have been travelling France in August for last 10 years and never book now. Any time we did book (return to port nights etc) we have regretted it.

Be aware of" Black weekend" which is first weekend in August as all French seem to be on road then and also bank holiday is usually 15th August.

Enjoy

Chris

Archived