Brilliant service

fred22

The cam-belt broke on Saturday on the way to what was to be a quiet weekend.

Rang Green Flag (Mayday with Caravan Club) and they said they would be out within the hour, they were. They knew the size of the vehicle I was driving so there was no quibble and the recovery truck they sent was big enough for the job. Being Saturday afternoon they transported us to our home address and they have just sent another truck to take it to the garage.

As I say brilliant service and when you most need it.

Credit also to Davies Motors and their staff for an efficient, courteous and professional service.

This is not the first time I have needed the services of Green Flag and I cannot fault them, joining through the Caravan Club they know straight away that you may have a motorhome or caravan in tow and this presents no problem.

Fred,

just thought i'd explain what a 'safe' engine is, to folk who might not know.

It means that when (if) the cambelt breaks, the Pistons which carry on going up and down, do NOT come into contact with the Inlet and Exhaust valves which have stopped moving (because of the broken belt).

I think they are called 'A non-interferance' engines ?

Wish the Manufacturers would state on their Tech Sales info whether they are 'Safe' or not. Ray

Hello,

You guys must be talking about a Transit 2.5Di engine which to my knowledge is the only engine where damage is minimal in the event of a cam belt failure. Every other engine is decidedly unsafe. Even in the Transit 2.5Di there will always be a few bent pushrods but that will be the extent of the damage and it only takes a couple of hours and £100 or so of parts to sort out. Not so much safe as 'safer'.

It must be said though that whether it be a Fiat, Peugeot, Renault or pretty much anything with a cam belt, these are very rare occurances and the specified intervals of 70-100,000 miles and 5 years is well within the likely margins for wear of the belt with the tensioner bearings being more likely to fail. The Ford Di engine is the exception to the rule in that the timing belt will fail at anthing from 10,000 to 50,000 miles so it is just as well that it is a cheap job, just flippin' inconvenient.

Nick

P.S. I had a 2.2 petrol Vauxhall Vectra a few years ago that was described as a 'safe' engine. It even had a timing chain instead of a belt. It failed and cost me £2600 for a replacement engine. I don't think there is any such thing as 'safe'!

My engine is the Ford Pinto 2.0ltr.

Engine is now rebuilt and running fine.

Ford were asked at what mileage the belt should be changed and they gave a figure between 36-40k. There is no indication of this in the hand book, the only reference to a cam belt being changed is a reference to the diesel.

I have only just obtained the vehicle (1990 Auto-sleeper Legend) and, as it came with a stamped service book, and has covered 74000mls I had arranged to have the belt replaced this week anyway, for what I assume would have been the second change.

Archived