Travel to Canaries

Lilias Hill

Has anyone experience of taking a Motorhome to the Canary Islands (we know it is a long ferry. We are thinking of spending a few months there this winter, and wondered about such things as Gas (is it the same cylinders as Spain for example), campsites, or lack of, if not "aires" where to get information on this sort of thing.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lilias

Hi Kikas

Welcome to the forum

We go to Tenerife every year, have done for more than 20 years now. (Not in a MH) I have never seen a camp site anywere. The only Mh we have ever seen there are usually parked on waste ground. Have also been to all (except Fueterventura) other islands, and again never seen sites or even camper vans. i think the cost of transport there would be a lot of money. You can get good accomadation long term at reasonable prices, and I would not want to drive a MH on the roads in Tenerife, apart from the motorways.

Guest Tracker

We too have been to the Canaries and have seen the odd small campsite on some islands - can't remember which ones though - sorry!

Driving a van on the islands would hold no fear for us because although the roads can be narrow and convoluted at times this is no different to any other remote area in mainland Europe.

The units we saw on sites were mainly caravans but we did see the occasional motorhome on our travels - mainly locals or Spanish or German.

We also saw several motorhomes as well as cars with caravans using the inter island ferries.

When you consider that large tour buses in their hundreds ply the islands with ease it puts driving a 20' van by a competent driver into better context - just get out the way when they come at you round a blind bend - much like the Highlands of Scotland then?

On the other hand I don't doubt it would be expensive and maybe self catering and a hire car would be an easier way of exploring?

Hi Lilias Hill,

I seem to remember there was an article in the MMM some time ago by someone who had done just that, perhaps someone out there can point you to the right edition?

I will try and find it myself, but don't hold your breath, I'm a little busy at the moment.

Regards, PKC.

We, too have been going to the Canaries (and have visited all 7 islands)over the last 20 years or so, but not in a 'van. We have seen many campervans and small motorhomes, particularly on Tenerinfe and Gran Canaria and I imagine that it is possible to "wild" camp all over the islands.

There is a new camp site west of El Medano on Tenerife, and there is a site on Gran Canaria at Tauro - west of the new beach at Amadores (near Puerto Rico). I am sure there are others, and personally I would like to take a van out to the Canaries, sometime, for the winter - but we don't have the time. For 3 months + I am sure that the ferry fare would be worth it. I do know, however,t hat ferries between islands are not cheap, particularly for non residents, so it might be worth restricting your visit to only one or two islands.

There is a lot ot do on the larger islands, and unless you are into the nightlife I would keep clear of the large resorts. Like Spain, itself I imagine there might be a security issue. The mountain areas are wonderful and in late January the almond blossom is amazing, and on the coast there are small bays and "Barancos" that are unspoilt. If you are thinking of one of the smaller islands I would recommend La Palma which is like a miniature version of the larger islands.

Depending on the size of your motorhome I would not be put off driving on the roads in the Canaries. As long as you are used to driving on the right and careful on the corners, most tarmac roads are reasonable. Be more careful on the unmade roads, of which there are quite a few! The other thing to watch is that in winter the sun is low and it can be blinding going from sun to shade.

If you do go and want any particuluar information, particularly on Tenerife or Gran Canaria, I would be happy to help if I can.

Have seen vans on some Islands, many years ago there was quite a large wild camping area at south of Lanzarotte, but I think this is more built up now, mainly seems to be Germans who take their vans.

Have only ever seen one 'proper' campsite, which was on La Gomera, but seemed to be for tents only, seen a few 'camp grounds' which I guess are set aside for tents.

I think Don Madge has been there in a van, at least it was some one who posts on here.

I was in Gran Canaria in November last year visiting friends. As I pulled up outside their home, a huge convoy of motorhomes (300+) drove slowly past. All honking their horns in protest.

My friends told me that they were all Canarians protesting that the government were stopping them camping on their favourite wild sites on the coast by developing them for tourism and such. My pal told me to go and have a look at the 'protest site' when they all left on Sunday for home. Apparently, most of them just dump their litter and waste where they camp.

The point is, that there are hundreds of motorhomes in Garn Canaria, so there much be plenty of places to pitch up. Also I've seen some locally hired motorhomes around the island over the years.

Hi

We have been to Tenerife on a number of occasions in the last few years, again, never by motorhome. I did look at it earlier this year when the weather was so bad in Southern Spain. We considered catching the ferry from cadiz to Los cristianos but the fare was something like 700€ return and the crossing 48 hours. I do not know if there are cheaper ferries- I did not look any more! We have seen motorhomes of all nationalities wild camping in Los Cristianos and also down in Golf del Sur beside the Golf course beyond the marina.

Hope this helps

Bojitoes

good afternoon lilias

i seem to remember some articles by mary tisdall ...if my memory is correct with the spelling...a lone lady vanner...but they were several years ago....

i don't know if she is still m/homing...the last article i read by her was about her romahome van ...again quite a while ago...

are you the same lilias hill who ventured to cyprus via turkey and were featured in mmm ?

it is a very unusual name and it stuck in my memory...

i think i still have the article somewhere...

you certainly are intrepid...

cheers

berti

Hi Lilias

The last time we were in Tenerife we even had a german motorhome parked in the street outside the complex where we were staying, it changed position every few days but by no more than 10 parking spaces. This was in March last year, not sure whether that's winter or summer. we have a roller team 500, so would be the same length as yours. If we had decided to go to the canaries we would have left the van on the site nearest Faro airport for 7-10 days and flown over from there. we are insured with Saga who allow you to do that, as long as it is part of your overall holiday.

Hope this helps

Bojitoes

Yes, that's me. In Sardinia at the moment, MMM don't seem interested in article on this though!

We are not sure whether to go Canary or Tunisia and Morocco for the winter, hangs on the price a bit really!

I am only intrepid as there are two of us!

Lilias

Thanks again, however, having spent a lengthy time checking out ferry prices to the Canaries (going for the closest port), I can only get down to €2,900 for the van and 2 passengers. This is in May/June (as they don’t do dates after Sept yet). Could you let me know who you got your quote for €700 from and was it for the van and 2 people – going from where to where, and what time of year (maybe the time of year is the big factor)? I thought they only went from Cadiz, perhaps I am missing something. You help appreciated.

Lilias

• 3 years later...

hey,

i just want to share our experiences in renting a motorhome on the canaries.

This spring we've rented one with the company "Autocaravanas Canarias" / "Motorhome Canaria".

Although the Websites (two! but same company) look pretty professional,

we had a LOT of trouble with these guys.

They're from lettland and the Caravans have numberplates from there.

We unfortunately lost the front one on our trip through the island and so they didnt give us

back one cent from the 500 Euro deposit.

(Which seems to be a common practice here on the canaries to extend the rental fees)

In Addition to that, we had to wait for the guys 1 hour at the airport (arrival), the Motorhome

was not properly cleaned (f.e. we found old cheese in the cupboards) and we had not enough

beddings, the fridge was damaged etc etc.

We can instead recommend the company on fuerteventura: we tried it 2012,

and we had great friendly service and a good car with a properly introduction.

cheers

udo

• 2 weeks later...

I normally go to Gran Canaria a couple of times a year and do like the island. I fly there and wouldn't fancy staying on the two campsites I discovered.....they look a bit like shanty towns to me and everybody is packed in. The other thing is that if the Canarians aren't making a mess......they're making a noise!

You will often see motorhomes at beautiful places on the coast during the day, but as I understand it, you are no longer permitted to wild camp and you must return to a campsite at night. That said, some motorhomers do stopover in out of the way places.

I attach a couple of photos taken of the campsite at Arguiguin. An attractive spot adjacent to the cement works.

612557488_GranCanariacampsite1.jpg.dd195841212ffd79da615281798a4653.jpg

Why would you want to rent a Motorhome in the canaries? Must be cheaper to go self catering and rent a car, I would have thought. All the islands are so small, you can drive round them in a day

Note this thread was started in 2010.

I have noticed recently that new posters seem to be raising "old" threads. Do thay look at the dates?

PJay

• 2 years later...

Hi joined the forum to help out with Canaries so far.

travelled from Huelva to Aricife Lanzarote, about 600eur on boxing day, 6.5 ft camper, me, my wife and our collie...28 hours on Armas Ferry very comfortable, but cabins are another 200eur...so kipper on a sofa in one of the lounges.

Been on Lanza and Fv for 2 months now...no camp sites anywhere so wild camping is both welcomed and friendly...we are at this moment parked on the beach by the Smurf houses on the edge of Cortillo, just fantastic everywhere for campers...not many anywhere we have found, just a few Germans, and French but only one other GB ( my brother in his who came with us).

There is lots of fresh water in the garages and a number of places to empty your waste in sceptic tanks one here near the arroz resteraunt.

Lanza is the same but for me not so beautiful, more touristy but still very easy to park on the edge of towns in nice beach side car parks or coast road pullovers....no one bothers you..quite the opposite with many asking how you get on with getting here.

BTW...nice lot of Internet to be had, passwords easily found on Android using Wifi Map app.

As for the weather, nice and warm with lots of people swimming in the Bays, and not too shocking when you get in...Here in Cortillo lots of Nudists, but doesn't bother me, even join them on occasion.

Roads are first class all over the east coast of the Island down to Morra H.

Just a wonderful if a little windy place to pass the winter months.

• 2 months later...

This is something we're very interested in, but notice no one has answered the last part of the question on gas.

When we were last in the Caneries on a fly drive hol. I did not notice any Repsol filling stations and I can recall seeing different gas bottles stacked up, certainly not branded Repsol or Cepsa. We carry enough gas for 6 weeks but would want to stay for a min of 2 months to get the ferry to cost in.

Archived