Motorhome and car outfits. Perverse or a necessity in the UK.

ChasB

trooper - 2010-04-28 5:12 PM

As has been said, we too take the car when we need it and leave it at home when we feel we dont, ie in france.

when we were caravaners we had a job to leave the car at home. :->

Good idea Don - which is kind of what I was getting at when I said (above):

Faced with a regular need to leave the "home" on site and travel around, the vast majority would probably go for a caravan, but some may have reasons for doing it the other way round - maybe because they also enjoy the more "nomadic" thing, and do that on other trips.

But hey, WHO CARES? We can all do whatever we want to. WE don't need to justify our decisions to anyone except ourselves

(and possibly our other halves!)

(and God of course!) :-D

(I don't often slip those in, do I?)

Enjoy your trips - all of you, however you do them.

ChasB - 2010-04-26 8:17 PM ........ What do the experienced / experts do when they visit a town / attraction and find that they are not able to park. Do they drive on and miss what they wanted to see? Do they find a site as close as possible to the attraction where they can catch public transport / cycle / walk / or wish they had a motorscooter or small car in tow? ...............

Sorry if my post caused some misunderstanding.  I've re-read it and I think (hope :-)) it was clear that I was speaking for myself, and not implying I think anyone else should share my views.  However, in case it wasn't, I was!  :-D

However, Charles asks a good question above and, since I seem to have caused at least some of the commotion, I will try to answer for myself, (meaning, of course, ourselves :-)).

We have tried caravaning over the years, always with small caravans that could be towed with small(ish) cars.  Two things never seemed satisfactory.  First, I was never really happy towing.  The caravans were fine, and sometimes I even forgot they were there - most notably when I was a bit pushed, and taking a small liberty with the French speed limit on minor roads, and saw a sign for a "null priority" crossroads, and then remembered the lump on the back.  In the event, I abated our progress sharply, and no one came from the right, but I drove rather more slowly on minor roads thereafter!  But, I digress! 

Second flaw with caravaning was the sheer mileage we'd cover on an average holiday.  Park the van on a site somewhere, and then set off to explore.  You travel thither and yon visiting this and that, frequently passing and re-passing the same road (especially if in the mountains - roads run along valleys in the mountains, so choice of routes is very limited), extending your range as days pass and you seek out fresh places to visit, but always ending back in the same old spot.  Alternatively, you pick a few likely spots to stop, but then you need to re-site the van, and small vans need awnings, or at least sun canopies, to compensate for the limited interior space, so those have to be erected each time, and if you're lucky with the weather, it is hot when you arrive (16:00 is invariably the hottest time of day), and knocking 20 tent pegs into rock hard ground is not what you really want to do when the temperature is in the 90's (Fahrenheit, that is :-)), so that didn't really work either! 

The prospect of retirement opened new horizons, and we decided on a motorhome.  It was to be just big enough inside to survive up to three months away on the trot, because that is what we intended, but small enough to get to the places we like, and to park at, for example, supermarkets, without needing four bays, and definitely no more than 6 metres long because that would a) fit our drive and b) would guarantee the minimum fare on any channel crossing as we intended to travel mainly in Europe.  Our first van was fine, but I found it too fat.  That is to say it was 2.3 metres wide and, when trying to travel off major roads, I found that width inconvenient.  It necessitated slowing for trucks, buses, and any other larger vehicles including motorhomes.  I also found I could not overtake other motorhomes that were almost invariably being driven more slowly than I prefer to travel.  So we got the present van which is only 2.07 metres wide, and does just what I want it to.

So, now we have our (almost :-)) ideal van.  It will get to most places.  We can park it in most places.  When we can't, we can invariably get close enough to walk or cycle to where we want to go, so no, we don't miss out or pass on by: we stop where we can, and then visit.  The only places I won't take it is major cities, because leaving a motorhome parked in the street, or a car park, in an unknown city is, in my opinion, inviting disaster.  So, we sniff out the nearest  campsite, leave the van there a day or four, and use whatever public transport is available.

Our van is compact, quick, and manoeuvrable.  I do not nail it to the ground with safari rooms: that, to me is another perversion.  It is a get up and go van, here today and gone tomorrow, and that, to me, is the essence of a motorhome.  It is what we got it for, and it works admirably used in that way.  We seldom spend more than four days anywhere, so we just keep trucking on, like the tumbleweed, stopping here and there as we go, gardens here, palaces there, and the odd city and its buses, trams, or local trains thrown in along the way. 

Do I therefore expect everyone else to be, or do, the same as we do?  Emphatically not.  But, as they say, all the world is odd, except for thee and me, and even thee's a little odd!  :-D

It seems to me that leaving my large comfy home for 7 months a year to live in a 6 metre tin box where I have to carry water about half the day, is about as perverse as you can get, but I can't seem to stop myself.

Regards, PKC.

Mel B - 2010-04-28 7:19 PM

Seeing as our new van has a 'dangly' bit which appears to be 12N electrics and fitting a towbar would be child's play ... you never know ... we might succumb!!!! :D

They tell me you can get cream for dangly bits at the rear Mel :D

ips - 2010-04-28 12:46 PM

(PS this is meant to be light hearted to explain my reasons , not that I realy have to mind you , each to their own makes the world a whole lot more interesting)

Absolutely agree my friend, no offence intended and I didnt call you "pretentious" I was generalising. I am sure that there are mitigating circumstances for towing a car.....................still not convinced though ;-)

IPS - No offence taken ,

It is each to their own , I could never understand why someone would want to have a MH and tow a dinky car behind it , untill it stacked up for us and fitted what we wanted to do and needed.

We wont need the car every time we head out but we've got the option and that makes a difference to how we get to enjoy a MH again.

Rogp

Unfortunately we cant get away this weekend (work commitments etc) however if you are lucky enough to be going anywere in the MH I hope you have a great time. If like me your stuck at home then I hope you have an enjoyable BH weekend doing whatever you choose.

Kind regards - Ian

jhorsf - 2010-04-28 11:04 PM

Mel B - 2010-04-28 7:19 PM

Seeing as our new van has a 'dangly' bit which appears to be 12N electrics and fitting a towbar would be child's play ... you never know ... we might succumb!!!! :D

They tell me you can get cream for dangly bits at the rear Mel :D

I'd need one heck of a lot of cream for it and I ain't rubbing it on! :$

This question comes up on forums now and again, and it always amuses me how some people are all most passionate about why you shouldn't do it. :-D

Each to their own I say, we tow with the RV, and towed with the Eurovan we had a few years back. For us being able to run around in a dinky little car is better and more convenient, than any other option.

If you prefer to walk, cycle or use public transport, good on you, you won't see me complaining, or scratching my head in puzzlement.

Olley

olley - 2010-04-30 11:18 AM

This question comes up on forums now and again, and it always amuses me how some people are all most passionate about why you shouldn't do it. :-D

Each to their own I say, we tow with the RV, and towed with the Eurovan we had a few years back. For us being able to run around in a dinky little car is better and more convenient, than any other option.

If you prefer to walk, cycle or use public transport, good on you, you won't see me complaining, or scratching my head in puzzlement.

Olley

Ian it is not a case of whether you prefer to walk, cycle etc. Personally I cannot understand why anyone who wishes to tow something should buy an expensive M/H with a crappy small car behind when they could have a good caravan and a decent car to drive around in, its perverse. Now if you wish to do it that is your choice of course but it is still perverse.

rupert123 - 2010-04-30 4:29 PM

Olley

Ian it is not a case of whether you prefer to walk, cycle etc. Personally I cannot understand why anyone who wishes to tow something should buy an expensive M/H with a crappy small car behind when they could have a good caravan and a decent car to drive around in, its perverse. Now if you wish to do it that is your choice of course but it is still perverse.

Have to say that IMHO modern small cars aren't crappy, although our 14 year old Micra probably is in your opinion. :-D

Perverse: Directed away from what is right or good

Interesting that you feel this describes us toaders, perhaps xenophobic describes you? A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign

Olley

olley - 2010-05-01 1:19 PM ........ Have to say that IMHO modern small cars aren't crappy, although our 14 year old Micra probably is in your opinion. :-D Perverse: Directed away from what is right or good Interesting that you feel this describes us toaders, perhaps xenophobic describes you? A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign Olley

Don't ya just love dictionaries?  Such a rich vein of fun!  Mine says:

Perverse: (1) deliberately or stubbornly departing from what is reasonable or required.  (2) persistent in error.  (3) wayward; intractable; peevish.  (4) perverted, wicked.  (5) against the weight of evidence or the judge’s direction.

In the interests of an orderly forum, I'll discount (4) from the outset, as a little too strong, and maybe just slightly out of context - but only insofar as we are considering the act of towing a car with a caravan, and not what else the occupants of either vehicle may be doing.  (5) I felt the judge had already made his sentiments abundantly clear in his submission above: this is a most reprehensible practise.  (3) seems most apposite, especially "intractible" (though I would welcome further direction on whether "intractible" can properly be applied to the well known problem in reverse, esp when coupled with Fiat based vehicles).  (1) starts promisingly, but descends into subjectivity with words like "reasonable", and "required".  Reasonable to who?  Required by who?  Have these people insufficient courage to issue a forthright condemnation when one is so clearly demanded by context?  That just leaves (2).  Ah well, it is an imperfect world so, if that is the best we have on offer - and as there is clear error, and the perpetrators have amply demonstrated persistence - "persistent in error" it is!  :-D

olley - 2010-05-01 1:19 PM

rupert123 - 2010-04-30 4:29 PM

Olley

Have to say that IMHO modern small cars aren't crappy, although our 14 year old Micra probably is in your opinion. :-D

Perverse: Directed away from what is right or good

Interesting that you feel this describes us toaders, perhaps xenophobic describes you? A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign

Olley

You could be right Olley but my dictionary is the same as Brians which seems to sum up towing a car behind a M/H perfectly. A 14 year old Micra should have been scrapped long ago, perfectly good scheme was in place to do this, to late now.

persistent in error, now that I like (lol) makes me a rebel at sixty, unlike most of you conformists, never deviating from the straight and narrow.

You need to widen your outlook, break free, take off those socks when you have sandals on, have a day off from shaving, one life live it, get a toad, you know it makes sense. (lol)

Olley

olley - 2010-05-02 7:42 AM

You need to widen your outlook, break free, take off those socks when you have sandals on, you know it makes sense. (lol)

Olley

Please tell me there are not people out there STILL wearing socks with sandals.

Helloooooooooooo, it's the year 2010!!!!!!!

Get a full length mirror and take a look at yourself..

:D :D :D :D :D

Martyn

LordThornber - 2010-05-02 7:55 AM

Please tell me there are not people out there STILL wearing socks with sandals.

Helloooooooooooo, it's the year 2010!!!!!!!

Get a full length mirror and take a look at yourself..

:D :D :D :D :D

Martyn

Yes - Germans!!!

Now don't start you lot. What is wrong with wearing socks with sandles, I think it is perverse to NOT wear socks. I will continue to wear them and always will despite my offsprings 'noises'!

Bas

olley - 2010-05-02 7:42 AM

persistent in error, now that I like (lol) makes me a rebel at sixty, unlike most of you conformists, never deviating from the straight and narrow.

You need to widen your outlook, break free, take off those socks when you have sandals on, have a day off from shaving, one life live it, get a toad, you know it makes sense. (lol)

Olley

Olley I have a toad, its a sort of frog live's in the pond.

Guest Tracker
Basil - 2010-05-02 11:25 AM

Now don't start you lot. What is wrong with wearing socks with sandles, I think it is perverse to NOT wear socks. I will continue to wear them and always will despite my offsprings 'noises'!

Bas

I'm with you on this Basil - I've always worn socks with sandals and I always will if for no other reason that it irritates the wife - but more importantly I find it more comfortable for walking - except on a sandy beach in which case I sometimes take the sandals off and just wear socks - nothing else - just socks - not a pretty sight I can assure you!

I have an attitude and I am prepared to use it!

olley - 2010-05-02 7:42 AM persistent in error, now that I like (lol) makes me a rebel at sixty, unlike most of you conformists, never deviating from the straight and narrow. You need to widen your outlook, break free, take off those socks when you have sandals on, have a day off from shaving, one life live it, get a toad, you know it makes sense. (lol) Olley

Did you mean this toad, Olley?

Toad, that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Sweltered venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' th' charmèd pot

Still doesn't sound that good to me.  Mind, if you've been dancing in the moonlight without your socks..............!  :-D

Mel B - 2010-05-02 11:35 PM

Just out of interest and for scientific research purposes you understand ... why are towed cars actually called toads? :-S

Cause their towed, and the yanks never could spell.

Olley

Archived