We fancy selling up & travelling around in M'home for 2 years

maryloujane

Has anyone done this? This is the perfect time for us to up sticks and take the plunge. We've lived in a caravan in France for 5 months during the last 2 summers so we are not absolute novices but we know it would be different living for 2 years in a motorhome. We would travel around the Uk and also Europe hopefully. Lots of questions obviously but two of the main ones is how to get NHS prescriptions and what do people do about their post? Any help appreciated.

Thankyou for the website, very useful. We were going to sell our house anyway and don't know where we want to live so we thought this would be a good way of touring around to find a good location. I know what you mean though. It's a big step and needs to be thought through properly. Thanks again.

Hi Martyn

Welcome to the forum

There is a lot of information regarding "Full timing" in Motorhome Matters section of the forum, but the search only works when it feels like it.

Here is link for a couple of recent threads, that should be of interest.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19350&posts=25

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19061&posts=10

• 2 weeks later...

We decided to do just what you have decided, 10 years ago, and we are still living in our motorhome, yes, the same one. We have also spent time in Australia during some of the winters (another story) but basically:

We decided it was time to do something different. We toyed with idea of having a house and renting and then decided this would “tie” us, so invested money instead and with my husbands pension we have managed to live at a reasonable standard. The intention was for 2 years of travel, but the bug is still with us! The downside will be when we want to buy a home again, which will happen, so I would not advise selling a house, however that is a personal decision. To go to “Full Timing” issue.

We use my mother as a “mailing” address. We do on-line banking for payment of bills and credit card and managed to reduce our mail to a minimum over the years (no bank statements etc). We insure with Saga who are great for being out of the country for long stretches and cover all of the EU, Turkey, (both sides of the Bosperous) Cyprus (Greek side only), as well as Tunisia and Morocco.

Can’t help you with NHS prescriptions as luckily, so far, we don’t need them. My husband stocks up on hay fever drugs before we leave, but a lot of these things are available (at a price) abroad. We have our E111 and have used it successfully in Germany (for a cut hand) but otherwise have not had to. For the dentist, you have to bite the bullet and pay the price – which you do happily when you have toothache!

We have travelled through a lot of different countries, staying at times on campsites, aires, sostas etc. We “wild camp” where this is accepted to keep the cost down. We use local gas (buy the bottles and regulators) as this works out perfectly cheaply if you are in one country long enough. Some places will refill bottles – sort of thing you learn as you go along (I can give details if you are interested).

Publications I would highly recommend are the Aires book for France, the Stellplatz book for Germany and/or the ones published in English by Vicarious books (website Www.vicarious-shop.co.uk), take a look, their books have a lot of useful information. The Caravan club campsites in Europe books are actually worth having if you want to stay mainly on campsites as they have more than any other publication for each country, so you get more for your money.

If you have other questions – feel free to ask – or if you have not yet set out and want a chat about things, send me a phone number and we’ll call you, very happy to share our experiences and information, but everyone wants something different from their travels.

Lilias

P.S. sorry, have gone on a bit!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hello Lillias, Thanks so much for your reply to my question. Sorry we haven't replied but we've been *doing* the Grand Tour of Europe in our caravan and we're not long back (and champing at the bit to be away again). We still are mad keen to buy the motorhome and rent out the house, in fact, we have the estate agent coming tomorrow, so we are setting it all in motion. There is so much to think about though, as you know, not least the size and type of motorhome. How big is your's? We would like twin beds and a separate shower compartment, plus space to move around in. We reckon it would need to be @ 30' but may have to compromise! Do you mainly tour abroad or are you based in UK? Because of family we would like to visit *home* every few weeks so for the first months at least we will be touring Uk. Can you think of any big problems you have experienced? Ideally we would like to begin our new life in March/April next year.

Make sure you check what your driving licences entitle you to drive.  A van of the size you propose, especially if it to be your home, will definitely have a MAM exceeding 3,500kg.

If you already have categories C1 and C1E because you passed your test/s in UK before 1/1/97 you should have these categories, but will need to pass a medical to maintain them after age 70. 

If you passed your test/s after this date, you will need an HGV licence.  If the vehicle you choose is over 7,500kg MAM, e.g some American RVs, you will need a category C licence whenever you passed your test.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am new to all this, but we have decided to do europe for 12 months, going next May 2011.

To this end we have bought a Fifth Wheel & a Nissan Navarra pick up as we did not want to keep packing things away to go out for the day. We both do paragliding so a 4x4 was decided upon.

I suggest you might take a look at www.fifthwheel.co.uk as an alternative.

Archived