The General Election

LordThornber

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martyn

All I want from the election is a decisive result; a 'hung' parliament will not be good for anyone.

Look at Italy, or Ireland where they have had narrow margins for ages and see what a load of compromises that result from that!

We need some action to sort out the debt problem and a strong government to do it, not a bunch of compromisers.

Michael

Guest Tracker
Perhaps we are all p*ssed off with the continual bitching, lying, misquoting, out of context quoting, deliberately misleading, lying, misinforming, scaremongering load of b*****ks that we are being fed - oh and did I mention the lies, damned lies and statistics!

Hi Martyn
             I see that your MP the Right Horrible Jack (backbone made of) Straw as apologised to the muslim community in Blackburn for his comments on muslim women wearing the full face veil.

How does a shop keeper tell if she is under age to buy a packet of fags or a bottle of cider?

Don't know what the country is coming to.!! *-)

Dave

I may well be in a minority of one on here but I mainly blame cowboy bankers for our financial situation.

I'm still an 'undecided' as I look at policies rather than personalities and I can't say I'm too keen on any of the three main parties. Or any others for that matter.

I'll just have to decide on the 'least worst' party !

I believe there are other European countries that get on o.k with coalition governments so it doesn't worry me too much.

:-(

Guest Tracker

I don't think so Dave - we are too far in for that - who will we trade with on better terms? USA?, China?, EU?, Non EU, Commonwealth? I don't think so - not any more?

HOWEVER I would be very much in favour of the EU being something revolutionary where all countries ran their own show and all traded fairly and equally amongst themselves - well all bar the French anyway - I believe it used to be called something like................

"A Common Market?"

Don't forget also that most European countries in the EU have been better run and more prosperous with better rights than us in recent years and also remember that successive UK governments have been pretty duplicitous and secretive about 'freedom of information' which without Brussels intervention would probably be getting worse not better - albeit slowly I grant you!

So on Balance is the EU such a bad thing?

It ain't perfect but to get perfection you would need to live in China where state control is absolute and all decisions are made for you because average citizens are incapable of running their own lives?

See what I mean?

I would have to agree with you Richard if we were tied up with the Euro, but we are not. There are still lot's of countries who would want to trade with us including the 'common market' We need to get out before they suck the last bit of blood out of us. When you say better run countries, do you mean Norway, Denmark, Switzerland.

Just to add. I know two of the above countries are not in the EU but apart from Germany, Sweden, and Holland which other countries would you say are better run (not counting that other place you mentioned)

Had to edit twice :-D 

Dave 

Tracker - 2010-04-27 8:49 PM

I don't think so Dave - we are too far in for that - who will we trade with on better terms? USA?, China?, EU?, Non EU, Commonwealth? I don't think so - not any more?

HOWEVER I would be very much in favour of the EU being something revolutionary where all countries ran their own show and all traded fairly and equally amongst themselves - well all bar the French anyway - I believe it used to be called something like................

"A Common Market?"

Don't forget also that most European countries in the EU have been better run and more prosperous with better rights than us in recent years and also remember that successive UK governments have been pretty duplicitous and secretive about 'freedom of information' which without Brussels intervention would probably be getting worse not better - albeit slowly I grant you!

So on Balance is the EU such a bad thing?

It ain't perfect but to get perfection you would need to live in China where state control is absolute and all decisions are made for you because average citizens are incapable of running their own lives?

See what I mean?

Don't quite understand your connection between Brussels and freedom of information.

Can you enlighten me ?

Well we got a bunch of leaflets throu the door today.

Conservative- Most likely to get in here as usual, but I won't be voting for her, nasty bit of work if you ask me, even Dave keeps her at arms lenght nowadays.

Labour- The local candidate has served in Iraq and seems not to bad, but I look at Labour front bench and think the've been there to long and we need a change.

UKIP- Know nothing of local candidate, but not at all impressed with leadership.

BNP- One look at front of leaflet tells me all I need to know, a picture of Nick Griffin superimposed next to Churchill, anyone trying to take piss out of me like that ought to be shot.

Greens- As they oppose shooting, they can go take a running jump.

Liberals- Usualy got on well with the old local candidate, but couple of years ago a 'new boy' took over and heard very little since.

This leaves me for the first time ever with no idea who I'll vote for :-(

Guest JudgeMental

I have not voted recently in protest because of the sensless wars and loss of civilian life. While stuck in Thailand Al Jazeera TV (what a great station) had news on the amount of money Blair had made in 2 recent oill deals. 2 million on one and 10 million on another.

if it was not the fact that Brown was his chancellor through out all this I would vote labour...But now I dont know what to do but feel I must vote :-S

Tracker - 2010-04-27 8:49 PM

to get perfection you would need to live in China where state control is absolute and all decisions are made for you because average citizens are incapable of running their own lives?

See what I mean?

I fail to see any difference in the above statement and to the way this country has become.

colin - 2010-04-27 11:27 PM

Well we got a bunch of leaflets throu the door today.

Conservative- Most likely to get in here as usual, but I won't be voting for her, nasty bit of work if you ask me, even Dave keeps her at arms lenght nowadays.

Labour- The local candidate has served in Iraq and seems not to bad, but I look at Labour front bench and think the've been there to long and we need a change.

UKIP- Know nothing of local candidate, but not at all impressed with leadership.

BNP- One look at front of leaflet tells me all I need to know, a picture of Nick Griffin superimposed next to Churchill, anyone trying to take piss out of me like that ought to be shot.

Greens- As they oppose shooting, they can go take a running jump.

Liberals- Usualy got on well with the old local candidate, but couple of years ago a 'new boy' took over and heard very little since.

This leaves me for the first time ever with no idea who I'll vote for :-(

Hi Colin

Interesting that the only policy you mention (and don't like) is the Greens.

So why not just go for the least worst policies, whatever you think they are ?

I reckon that's what I will end up doing.

A hung parliament is almost as bad as no parliament. Better a poor government that has a mandate to govern than no government (which is what we will get with no overall majority).

We need leadership, so we need a leader, not a bunch of compromisers.

Note: I have not recommended any party above, all I recommend is that you vote and to be realistic, vote the way you did last time if you cant decide this time (to avoid a hung result).

I'm not so sure that a hung parliament ( some call it a balanced parliament ) would such a bad thing.

If 'men of goodwill' from different parties could work together in a crisis situation, surely that would be a good thing.

Worked o.k. during the war.

Or am I expecting too much of our politicians ?

Guest pelmetman

Is there an election going on (?)

I thought it was some kind of contest for who can talk for the longest without telling us the truth about their policies (lol)

malc d - 2010-04-28 9:28 AM

Hi Colin

Interesting that the only policy you mention (and don't like) is the Greens.

That list only had a small part of my thoughts included, if I went into detail on my likes/dislikes of the policies it might clog up the servers *-)

spospe - 2010-04-28 10:21 AM

A hung parliament is almost as bad as no parliament. Better a poor government that has a mandate to govern than no government (which is what we will get with no overall majority).

We need leadership, so we need a leader, not a bunch of compromisers.

Note: I have not recommended any party above, all I recommend is that you vote and to be realistic, vote the way you did last time if you cant decide this time (to avoid a hung result).

Spospe

That infers there is a leader amongst them, I can't see one.

IMO today's news item on Brown, is the way they all view the electorate.

(distain & necessary evil to endue so they can then do as they like.)

A result of a single party having overall majority.

At least a hung parliament MAY bring some semblence of order & ensure they all behave themselves, knowing that they could all be Out at anytime & not having a 5 year tenure.

Compromise is not such a bad thing, eliminating radical reform that impacts on a particular area of society, whilst another area gets off relatively lightly & no expensive reversal of previous policies.

Guest pelmetman

Its official (!) If you have any legitimate concerns over imigration your a bigot (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

I think Mr Brown has a bad case of foot in the mouth disease (lol) (lol) (lol)

B-) B-) B-)

It is unbeleivable - heard it on the Jeremy Vine show whilst travelling. The record played after broadcast of the "private conversation" was the Mamas and the Papas song that starts:-

"All the leaves are brown"

Has to be a joke there somewhere (lol)

But cannot see it just now. Any thoughts????

Archived