Getting copies

John J Thompson

I now find buying these magazines very difficult. Not having a permanent accessible address each month being on the road full time. I did suggest to the publishers that they make the mags available on-line by subscription but they showed no interest and many corespondents claimed it would be open to fraudulent copying and distribution. I have checked newsagents, Large stores and supermarkets and very few have copies even on or just after publication days.

PJay - 2010-04-28 9:15 AM

John

you don't say were you are "on the road" If in Uk can't see why you have a problem. Always available in my local shop (Martins) and also in WH Smith and Tesco, and probably in other supermarkets

PJ

ley

It seems that they only stock them if there is a demand for them by placing a regular order.

I am in the UK at present.

None available in Millom or Haverigg in Cumbria.

None available in ASDA Stanley Co. Durham Tesco in Annfield Plain, Co. Durham or any of the local newsagents.

Sainsburiy's in Darlington have one or two copies that go on the day of publication.

Smaller newsagents in Darlington do not have any copies for sale.

Smiths in Darlington have some but that is not in a convenient location unless you are shopping in the pedestrianised town centre shopping mall

Guest Tracker

Probably not much help but we found that only the larger independent newsagents and sometimes chains like Martins or McColls (are they still trading?) stock a wide enough range to include MMM, and most of the others!an

Before we subscribed it was often a case of keeping our eyes peeled for a potentially suitable newsagent whilst travelling through towns and suburbs - which is where the larger shops tend to be located because of their need for lots of houses to generate the turnover needed to justify a wide range.

PS If anyone is in, or likely to soon be in, Pembrokeshire I have a full set of 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 MMM if anyone would like them?

Tracker - 2010-04-28 1:32 PM

Probably not much help but we found that only the larger independent newsagents and sometimes chains like Martins or McColls (are they still trading?) stock a wide enough range to include MMM, and most of the others!an

Before we subscribed it was often a case of keeping our eyes peeled for a potentially suitable newsagent whilst travelling through towns and suburbs - which is where the larger shops tend to be located because of their need for lots of houses to generate the turnover needed to justify a wide range.

PS If anyone is in, or likely to soon be in, Pembrokeshire I have a full set of 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 MMM if anyone would like them?

This is the whole issue. Trying to locate copies in areas out of large conurbations is almost impossible. The publishers are loosing potential income by not going electronic as well. I am not talking free, I am willing to pay to view/download online. The download could be limited to one copy per subscription.

Thanks 747 I can get in touch if I need too.

Hi John

I can understand your frustration but have you thought about the size of the download? Even if it was done in low resolution, it would still gobble up a heck of a lot of your allowance.

What about arranging for someone else to get it by post and then to forward it on to wherever you are likely to be (assuming you at some point stay on campsites etc)? Not cheap, but a possible solution. :-S

i'm sure you must have considered this, but isnt it possible to subscribe, using a friend or relative's address? they could then post it on to your current campsite or post office (if they still do that). would only be a day or two delay, which shouldnt matter if you are living the good (laid back) life! B-)

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2010-04-29 9:12 PM

Thought I was having a case of de-ja-vu then!!! 8-) :-D

I didn't know that you could get deja-vu by the case Mel - what a good idea for always being one jump ahead - or is that something else that you can buy by the case - does it work out cheaper that way with deja-vu - or are you unable to see that far ahead?

A lot of motorcaravaners buy MMM, but a lot still do not.  Motorcaravaning is not a majority interest pastime in UK.  I seem to remember somewhere around 300,000 circulation for MMM being mentioned somewhere, so if you allow for the fact that by far the greatest proportion of people live in cities, it is not difficult to see why newsagents in smaller places will stock very few, if any, copies for casual buyers, especially at a cover price of £3.50.  I think you are, in reality, be a little unrealistic in expecting such wide coverage, and I doubt Warners are losing more then a small handful of sales as a consequence.  You'll know the publication date each month, so I think you'll just have to make a little pilgrimage into what passes for civilisation (larger railway stations, Tescos,  W H Smiths etc, where they keep a wide range of mags) once per month at the right time for your fix.  :-)

I think someone here thought they were being funny when they were setting up my account for me. I don't mind.

Actually my parent's nickname for me when i was a kid was Raggy (as in Raggy Knickers) as I was incredibly flukey at things like card games. I still think it was pure skill...

R

Archived