!1st Time in France

tom rocks

tom rocks - 2010-04-29 10:19 PM

Hi can you tell me what vehicle docs I need to take with me log book ,mot,insurance,and can I take photo copies or have they got to be the real ones thanks tom rocks

You should have originals. Some take copies but I always take originals and copies plus leave a set of copies at home.

Hi Tom

It has to be the originals as the Police won't accept copies. I'd suggest taking some photocopies too if you want to have a back-up, and storing them somewhere away from the originals so if the worst comes to the worst and you lose the originals, you have the copies to fall back on.

Instead of copies, we scan them all (and any other important documents like holiday insurance, ferry/Eurotunnel confirmations, passports, photos of dogs etc) and put the info on SD cards, which we carry around with us in our bumbags/handbags. If needs be we can then pop into one of the shops etc that prints photos etc and get them printed off in an emergency.

Hi, don,t forget your yellow hi-vis vest or jacket and red triangle these are now law in france, and carry a on the spot fine of around 60 euros, the vest as to be inside the motorhome so you can get to it without getting outside 1st.

terry

Re vis jackets - law only demands one for the driver but it makes sense for everyone to have one. I hang mine round the back of the driving seat so it is very visible to the police.

With regards to papers the advice given above is good but also make sure that your road tax is up to date as you are driving under UK law. I have met several British people who return their tax disc for a refund before laving the UK and of course they are driving illegally. Photocopies are of ten accepted in France. A long time ago I was applying for a French Carte Sejour at the (not so local!) Prefecture. I had loads of original paperwork and waited in a very long queue for ages. When I eventually reached the desk I was told to go and get photocopies so when I eventually returned, after finding a shop to do them, I was at the back of the queue again!

Another tip, which I have never seen mentioned on the forum, is that if you see an injured person on the road and no medical teams are dealing with it, you MUST stop and give assistance and wait for the Fire Brigade or phone them if you are able to.

Archived