wifi @ mcdonalds in germany ?

berti

hi everyone

info needed on the procedure ..

we were told a couple of years ago ..that you need to provide staff with a mobile phone no ...and they text a login number to you..

is this still the case ...or can you just connect directly now ?

cheers

berti

I used it once and I just sat in the car park and connected with not much problem. However I would much prefer to use WiFi on a campsite even if I have to pay for it. Another option in Germany, and one found on quite a few German campsites is a T-Mobile hotspot. You can buy a monthly pass, online, for about €30.

David

Klyne - 2010-04-30 7:04 AM

I used it once and I just sat in the car park and connected with not much problem. However I would much prefer to use WiFi on a campsite even if I have to pay for it. Another option in Germany, and one found on quite a few German campsites is a T-Mobile hotspot. You can buy a monthly pass, online, for about €30.

David

I had the T-Mobile pass last year & found it quite good.

McDonald's in Germany were T-Mobile Hotspots - that's actually where I signed up - I was unaware that there was a "free mechanism" a la France at McD's in Germany.

The T-Mobile pass is country-specific - once you cross the border from Germany to an adjacent country, the pass doesn't give you access at the non-German T-Mobile hotspot.

Here is the McDonald's web page for their wifi offering in Germany http://www.mcdonalds.de/unternehmen/restaurants/wlan.html .

Their words translated by Google .......

'Relax, enjoy surfing: in all restaurants and McCafés there is a Wi-Fi hotspot at T-Mobile, with the laptop, iPhone or any other wireless-enabled devices can be taken - the first hour is always free.

Your free "Happy Hour" in the W-LAN Lounge *

1st The wireless network "tmobile" in the Select device

2nd Any Internet address in the browser enter

3rd The HotSpot portal will open automatically

4th Fill the form, then we send an SMS to your mobile phone access PIN number (valid number of a German mobile operator). After the first hour, the course can be further used to offer tariff.

Have fun!

* Only at participating restaurants.'

And from experience....

UK, Netherlands and France are free, or at least were during the Easter weekend this year.

JeffersonCampervan - 2010-04-30 9:57 AM

I had the T-Mobile pass last year & found it quite good.

McDonald's in Germany were T-Mobile Hotspots - that's actually where I signed up - I was unaware that there was a "free mechanism" a la France at McD's in Germany.

>>Fill the form, then we send an SMS to your mobile phone access PIN number (valid number of a German mobile operator).

Aha! - I guess there is no free mechanism when you have a CDN cell phone # ! >:-)

• 2 weeks later...
I ran into the same problem in Italy.  At the time, I was in too much of a hurry to follow it up, but when I got home I emailed McDs in Italy and they said that in actual fact it didn't really have to be an Italian number!  I haven't yet been back to try, but it might be worth doing the 0044 thing, it may just work.  Germany too.

Rod_vw - 2010-04-30 3:28 PM ...UK, Netherlands and France are free, or at least were during the Easter weekend this year.

Austria and Australia also hastle free. 

So... easy connections in UK, Netherlands, France, Austria and Australia. 

Need to give mobile phone number to get a pin in Germany and Italy, though the Italians say it doesn't have to be an Italian number.

hi mom

thanks for that ....

the information last sept/oct was that 'BY LAW' it had to be an ITALIAN number....

so i will certainly give your suggestion a try...

we should be in turin on monday17th /tuesday 18th...

the next problem is to find an accessible mcd with lots of parking ....that may prove to be quite a challenge (lol)

cheers

berti

Hi, Not sure but didn't all European mobile numbers (SIM Cards) have to be registered to an address recently, seem to remember reading about it on here possible last year, if I'm not dreaming that could be the reason they require a country specific number.

Archived