Help with electrics please

avongas

Probably been asked before, but I can't cope with 'search'!!

When I park up and switch to leisure, I get no power to any of the appliances, although the pump light flickers then goes out. Everything works fine on vehicle battery, or when I am on hook up. Checked battery levels from control panel, all looks OK. Vehicle 2006 swift lifestyle 530LP, Control Panel Sargent AC85

Any clues??

Guest Tracker

When you press the test button for each battery what does the dial read?

If the battery is flat because it is not holding charge from the mains hook up it may be that the battery is knackered and you would need a volt meter to check it properly prior to taking it off and bench charging it as a means of isolating whether it is a battery or a wiring issue. Is it the original battery do you know - if so it may well be dead or dying?

If the battery is flat because it is not getting any charge from the engine I would first suspect the split charge relay fuses under the bonnet as these are always prone to dirt and corrosion.

That said, my hunch would be to suspect and check out the leisure battery first?

Hi Rich,

Both batteries are reading in the green segments - there is no actual numerical values on scale. When I switch to leisure, and press the pump switch, the green light momentarily comes on then dies. I suspect either wire or loose connection somewhere.

Guest Tracker

Sorry John but I am unfamiliar with that Sargent unit and with how Swift set it all up so I am struggling to think of what to do next.

I'm still not quite convinced that it is not a battery issue and if you have a voltmeter to check what happens to the actual battery voltage at the terminals when you switch the battery on, and again when you test the voltage on the display, then again when you activate a light or the pump and compare these to what the control panel says that ought - no guarantees I'm afraid - help to eliminate either the battery or the panel as the issue.

The only other thought at the moment is the possibility of an internally broken wire or a very bad connection - possibly a fuse - where just enough current can pass to light the volt meter but not enough to pass sufficient current to make anything work. A bad earth could cause the same problem but I assume that the leisure system is dual wired and does not use a common ground/earth?

With a volt meter you can trace the power though the system but maybe start with thoroughly checking all joints and maybe replacing the fuses with known good ones?

It is also possible that the fault only registers when there is a load on the battery in which case you might need to leave the pump switched on while you test - in fact not a bad idea even if I do say so myself because if you wiggle a wire and it works you will hear the pump run and know that you have found it!

Have you worked on the van recently and could you have disturbed or damaged a cable whilst loading or summat?

Not much help today I know but Sargent are usually helpful if you can speak to the right person so it might be worth a phone call to their techy dept. next week?

Sorry but until an expert comes along I'm clutching at straws here!

I spud, yep I would agree along the lines Tracker is on, you have a high resistance somewhere, either a connection which could be one of the battery connectors, or more likely a high resistance battery which is my guess. 2006 , getting on a bit for the battery age and if you have never topped it up then I would also expect it to to be very low on acid.

Has has been mentioned, always start by measuring the battery voltage off load and with a load connected.

Jon.

Archived