Drive Away Awnings

forest-gump

Sorry guys, a few questions on this.

1. We have a coachbuilt motorhome with a raingutter. Is this where we attach a drive away awning using the figure 8 fixing? (We are not going for a movelite xl awning where I think you attach by securing over the other side of motorhome).

2. Does anybody have a Royal Kensington awning and if so, would you recommend it? Any comments on it?

3. Does anybody have a Mobil 300 awning and again if so, would you recommend it? Any comments on it?

4. If my assumption at question 1 is correct, how many Figure 8 fixings would we need to buy, do you just buy the 1 as that is how many is in the pack, or do you measure the gutter and buy appropriate number?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mrs Gump

We have a 'Harrison High Top Deluxe' drive away awning.

We also have a Fiamma 'wind out' canopy fitted to the side of our van.

We have a 'J' rail fitted just below the Fiamma 'wind out' and this is used to 'connect' the 'drive away' to the van.

With this arrangement we have a choice as to whether we use the 'drive away' for longer stays or simply use the 'wind out' for touring etc. (weather permitting of course!! )

Don't know anything about the awnings you have mentioned, sorry !

But I would recommend the 'Harrison' as it is very robust, but not exactly a lightweight!!

We also hava a Movelite and a Harrison Awnings.

The downside of the Harrison is that is heavy to carry and to put up, but other wise excellent.

The movelite, although the same size, has curved sides that means you start to loose space about table height as the tables have to be moved in, Even further if you have gas stove or electric rings.

Also the movelite moves in the wind.

If you have a Fiamma awning, you can buy a "sideways 8 "" strip that slides into the channel at the front of the awning. This has a number of advantages, the biggest being that you can have the Fiamma awing extended with the stand alone awning on the end of it.

It gives a nice large useable area, especially if you have the sun blocker sides from Lillypad suppliers.

Rgds

PS Without looking in the bag, I think 3 sections of 8 channel will more than do the job.

tonyishuk - 2010-05-02 12:16 PM

If you have a Fiamma awning, you can buy a "sideways 8 "" strip that slides into the channel at the front of the awning. This has a number of advantages, the biggest being that you can have the Fiamma awing extended with the stand alone awning on the end of it.

It gives a nice large useable area, especially if you have the sun blocker sides from Lillypad suppliers.

Does attaching the drive-away awning to a wound-out Fiamma awning mean that you can safely leave the Fiamma out in windy conditions?

We have a 'J' rail fitted just below the Fiamma 'wind out' and this is used to 'connect' the 'drive away' to the van.

Bob - is the 'J' rail another name for a standard type awning rail, or not? I ask the question as, after a chilly wind in Spain over the winter, I have been pondering on attaching a Kampa 260 type awning in this way

Ron

I would suggest (others may differ) that:

The J rail is standard for a motor home not usually fitted as original equipment.

Whilst the "standard awing rail" is akin to the rail used on caravans, a totally different fixing.

Rgds

Archived