Unlocked Dongles

Lilias Hill

Can anyone give advice on where to get an “Orange” Internet SIM card for my computer dongle which is “unlocked”.

Orange won’t supply one although I was told they would.

I have recently been able to use the unlocked dongle with other SIM cards abroad but would like to use Orange in UK as it has better coverage in the area I require. Obviously I don’t see why I should have to buy another dongle when a SIM card will do. As people may not realise it is far cheaper to use local SIM cards in unlocked dongles when in other countries, than roaming.

I am aware they occasionally appear on Ebay.

Thanks Lilias (on behalf of husband - it's nothing to do with me!)

Are you an Orange customer? I was only looking the other day for a dongle, and if you log on to the Orange website they have a dongle and card on offer if you are a Customer , it comes with the sim card for £5 a month.

Lilias Hill - 2010-05-02 2:23 PM

Can anyone give advice on where to get an “Orange” Internet SIM card for my computer dongle which is “unlocked”.

I have recently been able to use the unlocked dongle with other SIM cards abroad but would like to use Orange in UK as it has better coverage in the area I require. Obviously I don’t see why I should have to buy another dongle when a SIM card will do. As people may not realise it is far cheaper to use local SIM cards in unlocked dongles when in other countries, than roaming.

Lilias I am afraid I cannot help you with Orange - I wrote to them over a month ago to try to buy a SIM for an unlocked dongle but still awaiting a reply!

However, your comment about obtaining SIM cards abroad interests me. Have you ever managed it in France or Spain and if so who was the supplier please?

Sorry I forgot to say welcome.

duffers - 2010-05-03 9:08 AM

Orange have

excellent coverage

rubbish customer services

and recently came out as one of the worst Broadband providers

but you can get cinema tickets I believe *-)

Ray, I respect your view about Orange, but certainly don't share it.

Great coverage as you say, but bad customer service?

Not for me, that said, I suspect I've only had to contact them 2 or 3 times in 13 years, which says it all for me.

Dodgy broadband? I've only used Orange broadband, and it's been down once in 2 years and that was only for an hour.

Speak as you find I guess.

Martyn

No, this is the first time we've done it in Europe. We used TIM in Italy. We also know it can be done in Thailand and Australia. We'll find out about other European places as we go - will keep you posted (but it won't be until autumn0.

Lilias

Has anyone bought a P.A.Y.G. dongle abroad? as in this country the top up only seem to last for one month!! I was thinking in that case I might as well wait and buy one in Germany, if possible! and why do you need this storage card?

Lilias Hill - 2010-05-02 2:23 PM

This on ebay any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-FREE-Orange-Sim-Card-/140401111962?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item20b08ef39a

I don't think the sim card has to be specifically 'internet'

I can use my Movistar (Spanish) sim out of my Pay As You Go phone when in Spain in my unlocked dongle and it connects ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived