Air Ride Suspension

Are the company that is based in Poole the only suppliers of m/h air suspension? I understand they fit kits at the shows, but are there any other suppliers that should be considered? I'm looking to have this fitted to the rear only and I'm located in the East Mids.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marvin,

I'm considering exactly the same thing and have been doing a bit of research and come up with several options.

First try Googling 'Motorhome air suspension' and you'll find a lot of links to other companies such as Dunlop in Coventry and Marcle leisure who sell the Firestone kit.

Does anyone have any pro's or con's to Dunlop, Firestone or Airide please?

Hope my request helps you as well Marvin.

Keith.

rupert123 - 2010-05-02 6:42 PM

The best is probably AS air suspension. They are at www.as-airsuspension.co.uk

Can I ask why you think they are probably the best? have you used them? are they likely to be the most cost effective choice?

many thanks

Rupert,

Thanks for the link to AS, it looks a pretty good system but only seems to be available with am on-board compressor and as such is very expensive.

I would guess that Marvin will be looking for the same as me and will be happy with a separate inflation valve and gauge.

The Airide seems favourite to me. What are other peoples comments?

Keith.

Keithl - 2010-05-02 7:33 PM

Rupert,

Thanks for the link to AS, it looks a pretty good system but only seems to be available with am on-board compressor and as such is very expensive.

I would guess that Marvin will be looking for the same as me and will be happy with a separate inflation valve and gauge.

The Airide seems favourite to me. What are other peoples comments?

Keith.

Keith, you're dead right, I'm looking for a simple solution that adds as little weight and complication to the vehicle, which should keep the cost down.

Are these suppliers based in Poole?

Regards

We had air ride suspection assistance fitted to our then motorhome, a Rimor Sailer 645TC, at the York show in September 2007 by the Poole gang. It took them quite a while to fit (about twice as long) as ours was a twin RWD Transit Mk6, more complicated to do that a FWD vehicle ... they weren't cursing it but weren't that far off!!! :D

As the Rimor was a long vehicle (7.14m) with a very long rear overhang, we found it was wallowy, hence the decisoin to have it fitted. It made a heck of a difference, much more pleasant to drive, less tiring, cornering was greatly improved, especially round the (endless) roundabouts on French roads! :-D

We had a manual system fitted with a single gauge and 2 separate taps so we could pump up each side independently if we required (to balance the load side to side if needed - we never had to though).

You can get kits to fit it yourself but to be honest for the small cost of fitting, if you can get to a place where they will be so you can get them to do it (ie at a show), I would recommend letting them do it.

starvin marvin - 2010-05-02 7:19 PM

rupert123 - 2010-05-02 6:42 PM

The best is probably AS air suspension. They are at www.as-airsuspension.co.uk

Can I ask why you think they are probably the best? have you used them? are they likely to be the most cost effective choice?

many thanks

Yes have used them. They are a little more expensive but it is a complete system. You have a built in compressor which is operated from your seat so if you want more than just a suspension assist this is the system. For example with a long rear overhang which can catch on things like ferry ramps you can just quickly pump the rear up. Leveling up your van on site is easy with the system. It is also to my knowledge the only one that can be used with Alko chassis. Personally I could not be bothered with messing around with a footpump.

Hi Marvin

We had the AiRide air suspension system fitted to our Motorhome at the recent Peterborough show.

Fitting took less than 45minutes.

I'm pleased with the result. Neatly fitted and on the drive home the improvement in ride quality was noticeable.

Best regards

Derek

Hi I fitted air rides to the hymer, it took me around an hour, tools needed hammer and chisel to get the bump stops off and a spanner to fit the air rides a small drill to get the pipes into the cab and all done, I picked up a small 12 vott compressor for £5 all sorted. mounted the valve unit just behind the drivers seat.

terry

For cost comparison purposes my AirRides fitted by the people in Poole a couple of weeks ago cost £515. The Company also goes under the name of Solar Solutions which have a good reputation according to a few threads I have read.

AirRides can be fitted at most motorhome shows; they were recently at Shepton Mallet and Peterborough and they will also be at the other shows coming up over the summer..

Fitting took two men about 30 minutes and was done in the car park while my wife and I sat in the vehicle. The job was done very neatly and the AirRides are very easy to inflate.

I appreciate that Poole is not convenient for everyone but there are some good campsites in the area and the job could be combined with a short break.

This site here is about 1 mile away -

http://www.southlytchettmanor.co.uk/

Guest JudgeMental

I bought a couple of kits from these in Dublin as they worked out cheaper then anything I could find in the UK (at the time 2000 and again 2004) including the postage

http://www.driveriteltd.com/

while the full compressor kits are nice and convenient, moi being mean:-S I went for cheap basic kit and levelled with a pump...worked fine for me. :-D

I fitted myself and did not have right tools so took a few hours, second time was easier as I knew what i needed, primarily correct size rachet spanners.

An alternative to consider is extra rear coil springs.

Grayston has for many years done kits of extra coil springs with all necessary fittings for a wide range of vans/motorhomes.

Excellent products (I've fitted them on both of the two motorhomes I've owned).

They fit, in a similar way to air-rides, between the top face of the rear axle and the bottom face of the chassis above, on each side of the vehicle, in mountings that are simple bolt-ons to the two faces.

Advantages:

Cheap (maybe 150 quid, delivered).

Easy-peasy to self fit or get fitted by any garage.

Fit and forget.

Never liable to leaking or deflation.

Body roll virtually eliminated. Suspension much stiffer and "perky" under weight-load.

On old vans, "saggy bottom" syndrome eliminated.

Disadvantages:

Ride height/suspension stiffness is not driver-regulatable.

You then have to find other toys upon which to spend the 400 or so quid that you've saved by fitting them instead of even the cheapest air-ride system........

Just google for grayston spring assiters if you want more info on them.

(I have no connection with the company, other than as a twice-very-satisfied customer)

Thanks for the replies. I want to do a price check with other suppliers/fitters before ordering. Is "Airride" exclusive to the company operating out of Poole?

There surely must be other companies who supply and fit these kits.

The idea of additional coil springs appeals, should be a more cost effective solution.

Having something fitted at a show is ok, so long as I don't have to go in! I really hate trade shows.

There are certainly other companies that are able to supply air suspension kits but not all are able to offer an “in house” fitting service. We were advised by one of these companies to contact another business local to ourselves for fitting. This business said we should budget for one day’s labour charge for fitting. At £515 pounds fitted we considered AiRide to be a fair price. I should mention that I have no connection with AiRide other than as a satisfied customer.

Regards

Derek

starvin marvin - 2010-05-02 6:34 PM

Are the company that is based in Poole the only suppliers of m/h air suspension? I understand they fit kits at the shows, but are there any other suppliers that should be considered? I'm looking to have this fitted to the rear only and I'm located in the East Mids.

Hi stavin Marvin

I am onto my third van with Airide and find it makes for a much better ride and you do not get the buffiting from the big artics on the road. I have had all mine fitted at shows and I think the longest they have taken is an hour.

I few years ago I would have fitted it myself when I was a bit younger and fitter.

I found out at the Peterbourgh show that the original owners have sold out and is now part of the Solar Solutaions group but I noticed that they still have the same chaps fitting the system.

Terry

Hi Starvin Marvin. I fitted the Dunlop system from Marcle Leisure, I went for the manual inflate option, no trouble at all to fit, allthough one unit proved to be faulty, they replaced it and refunded pp no trouble. works well and has improved the ride, particulary the drag effect of other vehicles.

Regards. Brian B.

It depends on what you want your air suspension to do. I have had front air suspension fitted to the front of my Ducato based motor home by AS airsuspension ltd, to up rate the front axle from 1850kg to 2000kg.

As far as I am aware it is the only kit available for the front of the Ducato and was introduced into the UK at the beginning of this year by AS. I understand it is quickly becoming very popular with owners of over cab bed motorhomes where the front end is on its bum stops. One owner I spoke to said it transformed his motorhomes handling and comfort, yes it is more expensive, but it does the job and in my case keep my van legal

I have no connection with this company they just did a good job

John

Once again thanks for the replies. Here the present position

BGD: Rang Grayson Engineering and the cost delivered incl of vat is £270, for coil spring assisters. This comprises 2 springs each side and brackets bolts etc. Garage time 1 hour to fit.

Also rang Jones Springs in West Mids for the cost of replacing/upgrading existing leaf springs, price varies from £90/side for reconditioned to £140/side for new ugraded leaf springs. This is ex vat, but includes delivery. Garage time 1hr+.

Airride is £515 incl vat, fitted at a show.

I'm going to get some advice on the condition of the existing leaf springs before fitting assisters. If the existing springs need "replacing" my current thoughts are get that done first, otherwise it seems I'm just dealing with the symptons and not the root cause of the problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am still pursuing 'Semi-Air' for our Merc based AT but unfortunately not getting very far!

My first choice was Driverite as they mount the air bags outside the chassis on the road springs and this should give better performance than ones closer in. This was the first stumbling block, we have 'Camping car suspension' fitted by Merc from new and the Driverite doesn't appear to fit with it as the 'U' bolts supplied with the kit aren't long enough to cater for the lifting blocks fitted by Merc. I contacted Autovan who are an agent and they had never come across the problem, promised to find an answer and call me back but haven't had the courtesy to ring me after 2 days.

So I rang Driverite in Ireland and got a very rude answer that they don't talk directly to customers and I should call an agent. They gave me the number of Automint who again hadn't experienced the problem!

So my question is - has anyone out there fitted or had fitted a Driverite system on a Merc chassis with camping car suspension?

Next port of call if this enquiry fails will be either Marcle for a Dunlop system or Airide themselves.

Any comments on which system I should go for will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry it's a long ramble but thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice.

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
i fitted a few kits to demountable camper rigs I have had in the past...keep it simple and cheap. the air balls/bags are about as big as two hands clasped together and need little air.... a compressor is overkill IMO

I had the Driverite system fitted but it was not up to the job. Part of it broke off so I had the system removed & replaced with the AS system.

I try not to comment on things until they have had a good test. Earlier this year I did a 5200 mile trip. A lot of miles were on diabolical Portuguese roads and the AS system was excellent and is still intact.

There were less rattles in the van with the AS system. :-)

More rattles have since appeared but that was only after I got new hearing aids (lol)

Sometimes you need to think outside the box! I ordered my rear air system from Air lift in the USA. direct from the makers and shipped it in and had a local company fit it. I even have an on board compressor, although you can buy kits from them that just work from a foot pump. I have a remote control unit that clips to the sun visor and I can walk about with it adjusting the air as I need to. Helps level the camper and gives a good ride. I tried to buy one over here for my Winnibago Aspect B class (24'9") on a Ford E350 chassis - no one wanted to know so I was forced to buy from the USA. The kits can be fitted to most vehicles by just using the templates for the holes. I was lucky that I had holes in the chassis already that lined up and some parts of the kit were not needed at all. It worked out no more expensive to buy and came with the compressor and remote as a part of the deal and still was cheaper than I see charged for those available in the UK. So sometimes it pays to widen the search. Google air lift or go to www.airliftcompany.com I have the 72000 kit but they do many and a quick phone call will get a good deal of help and info.

Archived