swift reversing judder

kay

Scothchjock,

We have a 2.3 that is jumping out of 5th gear. We have recently fitted a 5th/6th synchromesh to cure a 'crunching' into 5th problem. We have changed the selector cables (which have no adjustment at all) to no avail and will now have to remove the box again.

The 3.0 box is similar in design, so I would say that this will certainly be a synchro or selector problem and would recommend that you leave it well alone if it is not fixed completely to your satisfaction. Make sure you test it on a bumpy road.

We have experienced no faults of any kind whatsoever on any of our 3.0 ducato's, so this should not cause wide-spread panic. Just treat this issue as you would a defect on any car, van or camper that you are trying with a view to purchasing. If it ain't right; Walk away. There will be another.

By the way, shame on the dealer for offering a vehicle in that condition!

Nick

PS To answer your other question; there have been reports of the dreaded judder on all configurations of 3.0 base vehicle whether they be panel van conversions, or 2 or 3 axle coachbuilts with the same result; No fix available, and no acknowledgement of the problem from Fiat or Peugeot. If it judders going backwards I should hope that all you left behind at the dealer were tyre tracks and dust. Unless you run a sanctuary for lame motorhomes this one is not for you.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick wrote:

"PS To answer your other question; there have been reports of the dreaded judder on all configurations of 3.0 base vehicle whether they be panel van conversions, or 2 or 3 axle coachbuilts with the same result; No fix available, and no acknowledgement of the problem from Fiat or Peugeot. If it judders going backwards I should hope that all you left behind at the dealer were tyre tracks and dust. Unless you run a sanctuary for lame motorhomes this one is not for you."

Nick - I presume (and hope) you are excluding the Comfortmatic from this statement. I still don't understand why the Comfortmatic fails to judder but mine doesn't despite the fact I have to reverse up a steep hill and do some reverse manoeuvering just to get out of my drive. No clutch smell and no judder - its amazing and a minor miracle.

Mike,

There was one report of a comfort-matic going bang on the Motorhome Matters forum. I have just looked at that again and there has been no update since. I expect it was repaired under warranty, and suspect that it was a hydraulic failure rather than a gearbox internal failure.

To my knowledge there have been no reports of any judder issues in reverse. This is still a very pleasant surprise to all concerned. I drive one a lot and it is brilliant. I cannot imagine a more perfect drivetrain for a camper.

Nick

When I was 17 years of age, I bought a brand new Yamaha motorcycle and it was nothing but trouble.- even main engine bearings failed after 18 months. The dealer was totally unhelpful.

I'm now in my 50s. I have never bought another Yamaha product and I never will.

I don't suppose Yamaha have suffered in any noticable way from this. Neither do I care - they have never had another penny from me. That's what matters to me.

The only other brand new vehicle I have ever bought was a Fiat Punto in 2000.

It was dreadful.

A catalogue of problems. Even wrecked the engine at 28.000 miles. Power steering failed after 2 years etc, etc. I paid for all the repairs myself.

I can't see me buying another Fiat.

Why do people not make their own small protest, even if they think it has no effect? Some day, it will all add up.

I admire those who have made a protest on the "juddergate" issue.

scotchjock - 2010-05-10 10:04 AM

Has there been any postings on tag axle motorhomes having judder problems? My proposed purchase has a 3.0l fiat engine and is 5 ton loaded.

To follow on from my previous posting, I had an email reply to a direct question, from one of the country's largest dealers, which was :

‘There is a vibration in reverse at low revs. due to the weight of the vehicle. This is on all tandem axle vehicles not just Burstner. We do advise all prospective purchasers of tandem axle motor caravans of this fact. Fiat has looked into this in detail and state that the problem is resolved by using increased revs. when reversing. Recent discussions with Fiat lead us to believe there is not to be any change to the gear ratios. Fiat state that due to the size and weight of these vehicles, they cannot be reversed at low engine revs with the 3.0 ltr. engine. When manoeuvering any of these vehicles in restricted areas there is going to be a certain amount of clutch slippage required.'

I then phoned Fiat in Italy. Customer service did acknowledge that some 3.0l variants had a 'judder' in reverse, and although it was being investigated, there were no plans to make any modifications.

Was there any vibration on tandem axle vehicles with the previous 2.8l engine?

scotchjock - 2010-05-18 9:52 AM

scotchjock - 2010-05-10 10:04 AM

Has there been any postings on tag axle motorhomes having judder problems? My proposed purchase has a 3.0l fiat engine and is 5 ton loaded.

To follow on from my previous posting, I had an email reply to a direct question, from one of the country's largest dealers, which was :

‘There is a vibration in reverse at low revs. due to the weight of the vehicle. This is on all tandem axle vehicles not just Burstner. We do advise all prospective purchasers of tandem axle motor caravans of this fact. Fiat has looked into this in detail and state that the problem is resolved by using increased revs. when reversing. Recent discussions with Fiat lead us to believe there is not to be any change to the gear ratios. Fiat state that due to the size and weight of these vehicles, they cannot be reversed at low engine revs with the 3.0 ltr. engine. When manoeuvering any of these vehicles in restricted areas there is going to be a certain amount of clutch slippage required.'

I then phoned Fiat in Italy. Customer service did acknowledge that some 3.0l variants had a 'judder' in reverse, and although it was being investigated, there were no plans to make any modifications.

Was there any vibration on tandem axle vehicles with the previous 2.8l engine?

My goodness what a mess ! According to Fiat's widely printed advert,this chassis was made with Motorhomes in mind ? supposedly that includes Large tandem axle one's ?? obviously not. And No warranty cover for the Clutch which WILL burn out early after following their advice. The Comfortamatic is the ONLY way to go, Large or Small van.

The later/last of the older style were at the peak of their developement,

not as comfortable as the X250 but mainly mechanically 'sorted'.

;-)

Archived