Filling lpg abroad

breakaleg

Hi All,

This may be a daft question, but I will ask it anyway:

I have a couple of gaslows fitted, and a remote filling point, but I have never filled up abroad.

I bought the two adapters, the question is: do the adapters have to be fitted to my filler or their hose?

Pete

starvin marvin - 2010-05-03 4:05 PM

Remember to also turn off your gas bottle isolator valve before filling up.

I have just bought a new Motorhome and got 2 x 11Kg bottles fitted with auto-exchanger but as the bottles came ready filled have not yet had to fill them. Got the European adaptors as well. I have got an account with Countrywide and they sent me instructions on filling but made no mention of turning off the gas bottle isolator, is this absolutely necessary or just a safety precaution that you like to follow ?

Hi

If you are going to Spain you will need the new Euro adaptor in some new installations, so to cover the whole of Europe you need a total of three adaptors plus your UK/Spain bayonet fitting. All three adaptors screw into your UK fitting.

In my view you should always isolate the bottles when travelling, so this should never be a problem when filling - though I do sometimes forget!

Peter

Peter Highe - 2010-05-11 3:49 PM

In my view you should always isolate the bottles when travelling, so this should never be a problem when filling - though I do sometimes forget!

Peter

just for clarity, which isolator are we talking about ? I always turn off my gas bottles prior to driving by screwing down the taps on the cylinders themselves but I do not turn off the red isolator switch. It seems to me that if you had the Gaslow refill point on the outside of the van (like the vehicles fuel refill tank) you would not expect to also have to unlock the locker where the cylinders are to turn off the isolators, or would you :-(

Big Momma - 2010-05-11 11:28 PM

Peter

just for clarity, which isolator are we talking about ? I always turn off my gas bottles prior to driving by screwing down the taps on the cylinders themselves but I do not turn off the red isolator switch. It seems to me that if you had the Gaslow refill point on the outside of the van (like the vehicles fuel refill tank) you would not expect to also have to unlock the locker where the cylinders are to turn off the isolators, or would you :-(

You just need to turn off at the cylinders

If you are going to Spain you will need the new Euro adaptor in some new installations, so to cover the whole of Europe you need a total of three adaptors plus your UK/Spain bayonet fitting. All three adaptors screw into your UK fitting.

Peter

What is the new Euro adaptor? Finding Gas in Spain is difficult I have some web sites, but some of their co-ordinates were not that reliable(lol)

Hi

What you need are these:

01-4300 *

French/Italian Travel Adapter No1

For France/Italy/Spain/Portugal/Austria/Greece etc

£14.95

01-4305 *

New European Quick Release Travel Fill Adapter

For New Installations anywhere in Europe incl Spain & UK. Also known as Euronozzel. (Available May)

£19.95

01-4310 *

Euro Travel Adapter No2

For N. Europe - Holland/Germany/Belgium/Ireland

£10.95

The middle one is the 'new' one.

These are taken from the 'www.motorcaravanning.co.uk' website, from where I got my adaptor, though there may well be other sources.

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/gaslow_refillables.htm

Hope this helps

Peter

Hi

I really should think before I post! The guide to Aires in Spain and Portugal (from Vicarious Books) includes the most comprehensive list but even that is not up to date as Spain, in particular, has a policy of increasing the number of outlets and they are growing all the time.

Peter

Peter Highe - 2010-05-12 2:47 PM

Hi

I really should think before I post! The guide to Aires in Spain and Portugal (from Vicarious Books) includes the most comprehensive list but even that is not up to date as Spain, in particular, has a policy of increasing the number of outlets and they are growing all the time.

Peter

Pete,

I would agree with this comment particularly for Portugal, where the listing in the Aires guide is pretty sparse, whereas on the ground there are loads of filling stations selling GPL

• 11 months later...
Peter Highe - 2010-05-12 2:42 PMHiWhat you need are these:

01-4300 * French/Italian Travel Adapter No1 For France/Italy/Spain/Portugal/Austria/Greece etc £14.95

01-4305 * New European Quick Release Travel Fill Adapter For New Installations anywhere in Europe incl Spain & UK. Also known as Euronozzel. (Available May) £19.95

01-4310 * Euro Travel Adapter No2 For N. Europe - Holland/Germany/Belgium/Ireland £10.95

The middle one is the 'new' one.These are taken from the 'www.motorcaravanning.co.uk' website, from where I got my adaptor, though there may well be other sources.http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/gaslow_refillables.htmHope this helpsPeter

I was just about to order Gas-low adaptor(s) but I will only be filling in Spain and then probably only at a Motorway Service station close to our site. Looking at this, 1 Year old thread, the information would suggest I need to purchase two adaptors, can anyone update me on how widely available facilities are that require the "new" adaptor, do I still need to purchase the older version?

terryW - 2011-04-25 4:33 PM
Peter Highe - 2010-05-12 2:42 PMHiWhat you need are these:

01-4300 * French/Italian Travel Adapter No1 For France/Italy/Spain/Portugal/Austria/Greece etc £14.95

01-4305 * New European Quick Release Travel Fill Adapter For New Installations anywhere in Europe incl Spain & UK. Also known as Euronozzel. (Available May) £19.95

01-4310 * Euro Travel Adapter No2 For N. Europe - Holland/Germany/Belgium/Ireland £10.95

The middle one is the 'new' one.These are taken from the 'www.motorcaravanning.co.uk' website, from where I got my adaptor, though there may well be other sources.http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/gaslow_refillables.htmHope this helpsPeter

I was just about to order Gas-low adaptor(s) but I will only be filling in Spain and then probably only at a Motorway Service station close to our site. Looking at this, 1 Year old thread, the information would suggest I need to purchase two adaptors, can anyone update me on how widely available facilities are that require the "new" adaptor, do I still need to purchase the older version?

This last winter I filled up twice while in Spain, the first was at Benavente, which had the new "gun" however the lady attendant had a box of all types of adaptors and she lent me the latest one. Weeks later we were in Alicante and went to the Repsol depot and of the two pumps there, only one had the new "gun". So we waited and used the old type, the attendant there is not the most helpful.Later we tried to buy a new adaptor from the Repsol shop in Denia, however they didn't stock it because there are no lpg refilling places nearby. I'm looking to buy a new adaptor, however the current prices seem stupid.

I have never turned off my isolator tap when filling BUT I have always made sure that the fridge is turned off before filling. A little while ago Countrywide sent a warning not to fill cylinders at their depots with a nice colour photo of (if memory serves) a Hymer with very severe fire damage. To me it looked as if the majority of the damage was located round the fridge vent.

Up to date map of autogas in Spain, I think all of the stations can be seen in Google satview, so are about as accurate as you can get. But I can't guarantee they haven't closed since Google took the pictures. Repsol have opened 3 new stations since xmas 2010 and are promising more.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=218062938126361983489.00045c0c2ec92a3f46ca4&t=h&z=5

This next map includes the UK, Scandinavia, Switzerland, Austria, Greece. Google does not do satview for all these countries so some may be wrong. Its on two pages, scroll down to select the second page.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&oe=UTF8&start=0&num=200&msa=0&msid=218062938126361983489.000482dd938c5fab21b29&ll=47.635784,7.910156&spn=46.541068,73.652344&z=3

Ian

Archived