Longleat

wild rover

Hi Wild rover

Caravan Club has a site on the Longleat estate. Not sure if it is open to non-members, but you would probably have to be a member because almost sure you would need to book to get in.

I have never been to see the wild animals, too many outside the fences already.

All the best

Howard

We went a few years ago when we had a caravan and it is the only place that I couldn't wait to go back to. We stayed on the CC site and paid for a 'Passport' that allowed us to visit all the attractions within the park. Wonderful. I can still see the view as we went through the archway and stopped at the top of the hill looking down at the house and park.

We too stayed at the CC site at Longleat several years ago, its not cheap,especially if you're not a member (if I remember correctly we payed about £26 per night as non members 8-) ) but it is perfectly placed for experiencing Longleat which is a real jewel of an attraction in our opinion. Only downside (apart from the cost of staying there) was the sea lions keep barking for most of the night and you can hear them very clearly in the campsite.

D.

I'm booked to stay at CC Longleat week after next. I've been before and it's great! After the park is closed to the public, you can walk around the grounds (not the animal enclosures).

I have got a passport ticket using £6.50 worth of Tesco vouchers and will use the safari bus to go round the animal park as I don't think they'll let me go round with the dogs in the 'van. I will have 3 days to go round the rest of the attractions.

Have a look at it on google earth - the campsite is right next to the lake where the hippos and sealions live!

Hi wild rover,

We went last year in a car but there were a couple of motorhomes driving through no probs. Wouldnt take motorhome through monkey enclosure though, they love wrecking motors. But easy to by pass plenty of signs.

Well worth a vist, and if you get the passport its valid for a year for any of the bits you dont get to see on your first visit.

Cheers Min

Hi Wild Rover

we stayed there the week before Easter (its a Caravan Club site). Excellent site actually within the Longleat estate.

You can walk to the main house , grounds and attractions as its literally a couple of hundred yards.

I dont think you can go around the safari park itself in a MH (may wrong I'd check first) but if you can and have dogs they do have some day kennels at the main enterance.

The Monkey enclosure is currently closed as they have a virus which is dangerous to humans so you shouldn't loose the aerial and wipers!!!

You can find discount vouchers for Longleat at many sources (tescos usually send us some with the points we get , you may also find flyers in the locality). Not sure if its relevant but if you have a disabled member in the party and they have a blue badge (which you have to produce) you can get discount for them and their carer , makes a huge saving.

finally they give you a commentary CD to listen to on your way around , have to say spot on. We go to West Mids Safari Park quite alot and they could take note of this as its very informative.

The CC site is a good one with a fish and chip van calling on at least one evening per week. The black and white striped tour bus is a good way to see the animals and their surroundings. Tickets for the tour bus can be bought as a seperate item from the other facilities, or as an 'inclusive package'

Apart from the payment entertainment there is a vast amount of parkland to walk around.

art

We went last year,decided not to take the motorhome round but caught the safari bus (£5.00p each) bur worth it, we were told all about the animals their names ect how old they were and were allowed to get closer on the bus than in your own car/van.

If you are disabled, the pass is half price or your carer goes free, just ask when you purchase.

Vodafone dongle dosen't work on site.

Pete

The caravan club site there is great and the location ideal. Only problem is that if you are only just thinking of booking you may have a problem as it is very popular. If your thinking of going in the school holiday period forget it as it is already booked solid as are many caravan club sites.

Hi Wild Rover,

Yes you can take a MH round!

We went 18 months ago and drove round the safari, only missing out the monkeys as I'd had a previous bad experience with a borrowed Range Rover at West Mids safari park. At Longleat we sat in the next enclosure and looked down on all the poor people having their cars pulled to pieces and chuckled!

You will probably get a better view in the MH than in a car as you'll be higher up. We certainly had a good time.

Oh and by the way be warned that if it is busy you will travel something like 3 miles in first gear so make sure you have plenty of fuel and a good cooling system! (It was a scorcher the day we did it!).

Keith.

Archived