France 1st timer

tom rocks

Some are, some are not. It is best to get an adaptor from a caravan / motohome dealer before you go. In addition, a good idea to either buy, or make a 'reverse polarity' adaptor and to buy a 'polarity checker', as continental sites are often wired with live and neutral reversed.

Another good idea, which will answer many of your questions would be to buy a copy of Caravan Europe Vol 1 from the Caravan Club, as this lists over 4500 sites in France and has a large section giving practical advice on touring in that fair country.

Something else to consider. A lot of French campsites have very low amperage on their electric hook up ,some as low as 2 amp. Which (please correct me if I'm wrong) is just about enough to run your fridge and maybe a couple of lights. Often the amount of amps are stated on the price board, so if it is of concern to you best look first

Another thing to consider on Foreign hook ups is crossed polarity, where the live is neutral and the neutral is live and often no earth, you can buy a gadget which can detect this from camping outlets and also a connection to correct this, or you can make up a corrector cable by simply wiring one up wrong way round.crossed Polarity is potentialy dangerous and can damage some electrical items.

tom rocks - 2010-05-03 7:03 PM

Hi can anyone tell me are the electric hook ups the same in France as they are in the UK Tom Rocks

In the main they are but some have a two pin connector and I would buy one of these in case. Forget reverse polarity it is yet another M/H thing that does not matter, some like to carry a lot of 'bits, around that have no real use, no wonder their vans are overweight.

I do not agree with Ruperts view. Without going into it all again as there are several threads discussing this I know the arguments for and against but as far as I and many of others are concerned I believe it is important to correct reverse polarity.

You must make your own judgement based on the arguments but ignoring it is at your risk (and of course anyone else entering your van).

Bas

Re the two pin sockets, on my experience, I would say around 30% of French sites still have these.  However, they are gradually being replaced by the blue CEE type weatherproof sockets now universal in UK, so expect to find both, sometimes even on the same site! 

Do be warned that the blue socket seldom means 13/16A will be available.  5/6A is commonest in France, sometimes less, meaning you can reasonably connect up to about 1kW.  Older installations are prone to "tired" circuit breakers, that may trip below the stated load, so don't "push the envelope"!  Some trips are readily accessible, but most, especially on municipals, are not, and may even be locked in the office.  If you trip one of these when the office is shut, especially if it is a site where the supply cabinet is locked with your plug inside, you (or at least you electrical supply) are dead!!  :-) 

Make sure you know what you are connecting, and definitely leave that 3kW electric kettle at home!

Archived