Connecting a generator to the motorhome

slackhouse

Hi - I am thinking of getting a generator due to poor battery performance.

Is it a simple case of plugging a lead from the generator into the EHU socket and this will power the 240v and charge the batteries for use later without the generator?

What cables are required and should there be some additional fuse or protection between the generator and van over the on board Sargent control unit?

Thanks

Pete

The most important thing is to ensure you get a inverter type genny so that you do not damage the electronics in your M/H, I burnt out my charger using the wrong type, as for cable just use your normal hook up cable.

Cheers

I agree a good four stroke generator with inverter is a must, they produce a better electrical quality So it can be used with computers and tv equipement.plus they are quiet. Two stroke cheap ones are a waste of time and dont last as long buy a good one which will lasts forever.

Normal hook up into the HM all you need to make up is a short lead with a 3 pin plug on one end and a female blue hook up plug the other. allowing you to connect up to your normal hook up lead. the control box charger sorts the batteries out with charge.

Depending what you want to use it for depends on the output.

Microwaves need a big output as they consume a lot of current particulary on start up, so do electric kettles. fires etc. A 2000 watt unit will cope easily.

The honda unit is a really good one.

A 1000 watt unit has problems with kettles and M/waves but will charge your batteries run a toaster, Tv Sky but not all at once.

I use a smaller Honda ex 650 i have own it for 10 yrs it easily charges the batteries a 6 amps and charges Phones ,razors, rechargeable batteries runs the TV and SKY box. running time 5 hours on a small tank of petrol at 79 decibels.

Pete

Guest peter
If you only want to charge your battries, get a 350 Watt one like the Honda Ex 350 Four Stroke. If anything else get a bigger one. I've got a Kipor 3000 (2600 Watts) because I'v got a small oven and electric kettle, plus the wife's hairdryer.

just been to oultan park, for the british super bikes, get what they were using... DRAX POWER STATION 8-) whats all that about (!) (!) i used an 110 amp battery for the whole weekend no probs B-) no solar no genny no hairdryer!! and kept me up till 3am!!!

jonathan

Guest peter
sooty10 - 2010-05-05 1:51 PM

Better still get a decent solar panel and save our bears.

Sooty

:D

If you have poor battery performance you probably have a poor battery. Tell us what electrical items you typically run, the amp hour capacity of the battery, how long it currently lasts between charges and the age of the battery. Our experts Trackers and Brambles will no doubt prescribe the necessary remedy. It could be as simple as a new, or uprated battery.

Thanks for all the comments - (We are new to the motorhome world so lacking knowledge)

I have two 100 Amph batteries and have been running my own test.

The on board amp meter shows no current when everything is switched off. (Once left the reversing camera on which drained the battery)

I have run the lights over 3 days (14.0 hrs total) - at between 3.4 amp and 1.0 amp for 4 hrs per day to try and assimulate evening use. With a fully charged battery setting off at 13.1v the power fell to poor after this period.

After each session the battery appeared to improve itself with a higher voltage than at the end of each session. We have had the van just less than a year - second hand but I feel that the batteries are not the original ones. The van is Aug 07.

I have changed the spot lights to LED to give us more usage the test was using the 12v strip lights.

If I got a generator would the batteries still require replacement or is there still use in them?

Thanks Pete

With 200Ah installed, on the test you have run, as you have described it, I don't think you should have had any problem at all.  Whether the battery installation is poor, one battery has failed, or both are knackered, I couldn't say, but I'm fairly sure the problem won't be cured by a genny.  Disguised, maybe, but not cured.  The starting charge seems a little low, so I'm a bit inclined to think one battery has a problem and may, by now (depending on when the fault developed), have damaged the other.  As a start, I would suggest disconnecting one battery at a time, leaving the other to charge on mains for 24 hours, and then repeating your test with the lights.  After that, repeat with the other battery.  Tedious, but it should tell you whether a, and which, battery is duff.

I have carried out another test on the individual batteries:

A - Starting at 13.7v

6amp for 1.5hrs, 8.5amp for 1.0hr, battery now at 12.2v,rest for 12hrs, 2.4amp for 1.0hr battery now at 11.1v so stopped.

B -Starting at 13.3v - been left standing no charging.

1.2amp for 5hrs, 2.7amp for 2hrs, 6.3 amp for 2hr battery now 9.5V (oops!)

This gives battery A - approx 20Amphr and B 24Amphr. So I assume both batteries require repalcement.

Does it cause major damage letting the volts drop too low?

Advice welcomed.

Thanks

Pete

Archived