How to attach an awning to our motorhome

Mel B

We bought a Quest Base Camp Panorama Family 260 lightweight awning from a car boot sale at the weekend as we thought it might be an easy way of putting up something a bit more substantial than the wind blocker net curtain thingies I was considering making, so we could us it more, but light and easy enough to put up and take down quickly if we need to go off site. It's not a 'free standing' structure but I'm not bothered about that as we rarely stay on sites so wouldn't generally want to leave it 'up' whilst we tootle about and then return to the same site. Our intention is to use the awning when at motorhome shows and the like when the van stays 'static' for the duration.

Now the thing is that the 'corded' bit is too fat to go in the front of our Fiamma awning where there is a purpose made slot for attaching awnings, sun blockers etc. Can someone please tell me what I need to get to be able to attach it to the motorhome. I think I need some of the 'figure of 8 channel stuff', and also the double edged beaded tape (one bead larger than the other) but never having seen it 'in the flesh' I'm not sure if it is what I need. Or is there some other way of attaching it?

1073347793_QuestPanoramaFamily260awning.jpg.8af874f136a78ed1be16e40b9a146338.jpg

HI Nel b,

What you need is a length of transitional tape with a 4mm bolt rope sewn in one edge ( for the fiamma/omnistor front edge) and 5mm bolt rope in the other edge. You then purchase some plastic figure of eight channel to go onto the 5mm rope and then onto your lightwieght awning. These are often for sale at motorhome shows and you buy it by the metre. We got ours from Harrison awnings in Bristol. Just google them up.

The guy I spoke to new exactly what I wanted and sent it off. 4metre length £25 I think. But it was three years ago.

Hope this helps....................... Ned

I stripped off the 6mm beading tape from my awning and sewed on a 4mm bead tape. The awning now fits the Fiamma front rail. I went down this route because the figure of eight strip was something else to carry.

Ideally you need an industrial sewing machine to do this.

Try tour local upholsterer - explain that it is only straight stitching.

I tried to post this 2 days ago and the forum had a hissy fit and wouldn't let me back in ... so here goes again ... :-S

Hi JohnP

I've been thinking of doing the same as you ... I have an old sewing machine (Singer) which is quite robust so would probably do the job. If the worst comes to the worst I could always hand stitch it (I've done dafter things! :$ ). Rather than remove the old beading tape though, I thought I'd put an extra one on, that way if we decide it's not what we want and I want to sell it, it can still be used for a caravan. I've already got some 'tape' which would be suitable so all I need is some cord to form the middle of the 'sausage' roll. :-S

We have a new caravan porch awning which we picked up (you don't want to know why ... but I'm selling it now :D ) and it has 2 lots of beading tape on - 4mm and 6mm - so I thought I'd copy it.

I'll let you know how I get on and if I've got any fingers left!!! *-)

Mel

If you are going to sew a cord into the tape using your sewing machine you really need a presser-foot where the needle goes through it right at the edge.

This will enable you to get the stitching tight up against the cord. Make up a strip of beading tape first and then sew it to the awning.

You can probably get a suitable piece of cord from a chandlers or diy store.

Thanks John, I've got the correct foot already (loads of different sized ones in fact as I've had the machine for about 27 years and collected them from jumble sales/carboot sales and the like when I saw them ... you simply can't have enough feet!!! :D ). Will have a play at some point when I get a minute. :-D

We had an awning rail bolted onto the bottom of our Fiamma (small countersunk bolt/nuts at approx 1ft apart, pretty much invisible unless you're looking for it). Has the advantage that it's pretty flush against the MH wall, versus being on the front of the Fiamma would mean it stands 3 inches proud.

Incidentally, don't know if our Fiamma is of a different generation, but prior to having the rail fitted I did find that the slot on the front of ours was big enough to take our porch awning...the ones in the shop were not, so have they narrowed the channel on more recent Fiammas?

Paul

Guest peter
If you nail it on, use galvanised nails as steel ones will rust, and stain the side of your van. :D

Archived