Electrics In France

tom rocks

Going to France for the 1st time with the motor home been traveling in France for the last 4 yrs stopping in gites so my question is what can i run of the electric power points ie kettle, hairdryer,fire,microwave ect ect what is the basic ampage on most sites shall i leave the kettle but take the hairdryer it is such a lot to take in confused

6amp seems to be the most common ampage in France although an increasing number of sites offer 10 amps either as the norm or for an additional charge. I think I have only come across one site offering 16amps which is what both the main Clubs here have. Its really a question of adding up the watts of the appliances you use at any one time. 6amp = 1380 watts and 10 amps = 2300 watts. If you intend to take a normal domestic kettle they do pull a lot of power and you would need the minimum of 10 amps. Hairdryers are not usually as powerful but there might be the option of using a power point in the toilet/shower block. For years now we have taken a low wattage kettle with us and it seems to suit most circumstances including one site where we only had, supposedly, 4 amp supply.

David

I have motorhomed in France quite frequently and used sites that have anything from 3A up to 16A. Last year on a campsite at Biarittz we supposedly had only 6A but we used the 230v to power the Air Con, Electric travel kettle, Lighting and Satelite TV with no problems whatsoever.

Take a low wattage kettle, one that is less than 1000watts (typically 900 or so). This will help when on low current supply sites.

As I have said before, get youself a copy of Caravan Europe Vol 1 from the Caravan Club as this will answer many of your questions, including this one ;-)

spospe - 2010-05-04 10:51 PM

Take a low wattage kettle, one that is less than 1000watts (typically 900 or so). This will help when on low current supply sites.

As I have said before, get youself a copy of Caravan Europe Vol 1 from the Caravan Club as this will answer many of your questions, including this one ;-)

You can get the books here with 32% off and free delivery..

Volume 1 (France)

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781857335033/?a_aid=Brambles

Volume 2 (rest of Europe - germany etc)

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781857335040/?a_aid=Brambles

I find them extremely useful, but do not buy the updated guides every year but every other year.

Just wondering if you would also have to watch the start up current of you have a compressor fridge, if only 1 amps supply then might be enough to trip it.

Received my Caravan Club - Caravan Europe Vol 2 book today. Quite a saving on price so well chuffed.

Jon.

The majority of sites only have 6 amp supplies. One problem is over the trip switches. On most sites each hook up has its own trip switch which you can reset yourself so if you do inadvertently trip it. This means you can switch off the offending piece of kit and reset it. It is more of a problem where you cant do it yourself or trips are in blocks as tripping those means you may also cut your neighbours off as well. Also a problem where there is no warden about you may have to wait overnight. Definely need to know what you electric equipment uses and ask on arrival what the current is.

Brambles - 2010-05-07 11:09 PM Just wondering if you would also have to watch the start up current of you have a compressor fridge, if only 1 amps supply then might be enough to trip it. Received my Caravan Club - Caravan Europe Vol 2 book today. Quite a saving on price so well chuffed. Jon.

We have used a lot of sites around France over the years, Jon, and never seen one as low a 1A.  We did encounter one site with 2A in Portugal, but most were 3A or more.  The commonest are 5/6A, with a few going to 10A.  In the mountains higher amperages are common on winter sports sites, say on the French "caravanneige" sites, where 15A is available, usually metered, in winter, but often reduced to unmetered 10A for summer, with more Amps available, at extra cost, if required.

A few sites offer a choice, and plug in the appropriate breaker as required at extra cost.  They also tend to keep all the breakers in the office, so those who don't pay can't filch the juice!  So elegant a solution to the late night "pluggers in", don't you think?  :-D

Sorry, not sure where I got 1 Amp from , think I probably meant 2 or 3 Amps. I also should have been able to answer myself as I know these trips work by a thermal operation at the rated current with an electromagnetic trip at a much higher level to allow for current surges but still limit to a safe amount which wil operate fast, the thermal trip part being delayed.

Our philosophy in France is always use a kettle on gas, for hot water and heating only use the low setting on the dial and if you need to boost this then use electric/gas setting.

if you do trip it and can't access board then you can have a long wait before anyone comes to reset.

Guest JudgeMental
anyone know where to buy a 3 way splitter for use on aires where you may need to piggy back of another lead plse ? *-)

I have no problems with a elec kettle (900w) bought in France some years ago. I also use a toaster,I Just make sure that I don't have the water heater on at the same time, as we go for long periods , the gas may run out if we only used gas for the kettle

It can be a pain if you are unable to access the electric box, but agree with Brian, that it does stop the people ( one i know of) who try to use Elect with out paying , thats why ACSI is a good deal, as includes the electric

PJay

Archived