Hymer Finish

1. Can anyone settle an argument for me.

What is the finish on the body of a 1992 Hymer S700. It is like a textured finish. I believe it is a plastic coating that is fused to the metal in production and others tell be it is a two pack paint finish.

The fibreglass front and roof come up fine but the main body is proving stubborn to clean.

2. I have been having trouble removing stains that have become ingrained in the finish. ie streaks originating at trim or window edges. Any tips for getting these out.

I have used Autoglym spray cleaner and a fine brush to some with some success but some will not yeald to this process. Trying anything harder just takes the top off the bubbles and leaves the stain in the hollows.

John

We used to have a 'school' for car valeters in Eastleigh. They asked for joe public to bring their vehicles in for the students to take their tests on.

When I took a Granduca coachbuilt in the instructor was very pleased & had just the student in mind (lol) When I rang later to see if it was ready I was told to collect it just before they closed. I'd never been satisfied with the finish when I'd cleaned it.

The finish was as the OP's Hymer and the instructor said they just couldn't get it clean using the methods they use on cars. Trial & error came up with Autoglym shampoo and a rotating brush connected to a pressure washer.

I used that method from then on and it worked well.

Archived