tyres

lizken

215/70R15C CONTINTENTAL VANCO2 have a load rating suitable for my van, max pressure 65psi.

Originally fitted with Michelin XC CaMPING, max pressure 80psi.

Michelin confirmed that with max 3300kgs gross, and axles at 1360 and 1760kgs it recommed running at 50/55psi.

What is the reason for fitting Camping Car tyres, when the higher pressures are not necessary.

Guest peter
Don't be fooled into thinking that Camping tyres are anything special. They are only heavy duty van tyres and have extra plies. But they have Camping or whatever incorporated in the mould and charge a premium for the priviledge.

lizken - 2010-05-06 1:23 PM

Thanks for all your comments.

Is it the general opinion that standard Vanco2 are quite suitable for a 3300kg gross vehicle?

Just fitted them on mine. The Vanco camper is not currently availible anyway and Conti suggested these as a suitable alternative.

Camping tyres do not necessarily have extra plies, they have extra ply rating which is different. A typical Van tyre is 8 ply rating, where a reinforced tyre like the camping tyres might have say a 10 ply rating, even though the tyres may only have 2 actual plies + steel ply under the tread and only one ply in the side walls.

The ply rating is based on the strength of the tyre and is derived from the old cross ply tyres and rayon or natural fibre plies which are much weaker and stronger tyres would have to have more plies. Now the use of synthetic exotoc materials which have 100s of times the strength so much fewer plies are required.

Camping tyres have different compounds used for the rubber, certainly the Michelin camping tyres do. They also have reinforcement around the side walls and bead - the Vanco Camping certainly have this.

So basically camping tyres are NOT the same as the Van tyre equivalent although certainly very similar and based on the same design.

As to whether you need camping tyres or not depends on over all weight of vehicle axles and likely hood of overloading. Remember Motorhomes ae top heavy compared to a van so every time they corner there is extra weight placed on the outside tyres. and every time one wheel goes over road bumps and undulations rocking the van so Motorhome is more likely to generate more heat in the tyres than the same weight van because of how the weight is distributed with a Motorhome having higher moment of inertia forces on the tyres.

Motorhomes generally sit around a lot more than vans and tyres might not be replaced for well in excess of 6 years, but a van tyre is more likely to be worn out much sooner and so does not have to have the same long life properties for the plies.

So I suppose a summary would be if you have a van conversion chances are van tyres are fine, but if you have an A class tall Motorhome, or a coach built with over head bunk then you are more likely to need camping tyres.

Camping tyres also have an extra impervious to air coating on the inside, as do new tyres of all types supplied to OEMs but not to the aftermarket so to reduce costs of the tyre. One more reason Camping tyres are more expensive. The reason being because they sit around for months and tyre pressures are not checked so loss of air is not desireable as it is with OEM's who may have vehicles sitting in stock for months and do not want to have to check tyre pressures when they come to deliver the vehicles.

I am not sure on the next point but I understand where replacing tyres on a vehicle you must not replace with a lower specification than originally fitted. This means on a vehicle shod with XC camping which have very high rating and cope with 80 psi in the tyres then maybe fitting Vanco camping with a lower max pressure rating of 69psi is not permissable. I suspect it is more to do with load ratings not being less and have not checked the differences for load ratings between the XC. Agilis, and vanco camping tyres. Certainly there could be a problem where there is a sticker in the door post saying max pressure 80psi and if Vancos are fitted someone could read the label and put in 80 psi thinking it is safe having not read the tyre wall.

So a very muddy topic indeed and lots of different opinions mine being just one of many. I personally would not be driving around with 80 psi in my tyres if not necessary as not least grip is drastically reduced in the wet and the ride comfort is extremely bumpy.

Archived