camping international card

breakaleg

Hi All,

It's been a while since i last used a camp site abroad, but if I remember correctly, they used to keep your passports, unless you gave them your camping international card.

What I can't remember is: did you just have one per party or one per person?

I have got one from the cc, do I need another?

Pete

breakaleg - 2010-05-06 2:36 PM

Hi All,

It's been a while since i last used a camp site abroad, but if I remember correctly, they used to keep your passports, unless you gave them your camping international card.

What I can't remember is: did you just have one per party or one per person?

I have got one from the cc, do I need another?

Pete

I've only ever carried one - never heard of anyone requiring more than that.

Thank you, that was quick,

Usually, I stick to Aires in France and Germany, but were off to Italy this year and they recon the sostas can be quite expensive so i bought the ACSI card/book, to give that a try.

but for the life of me, I couldn't remember about the card.

Many Thanks

Pete

Since "abroad" is quite a big place, it should be noted that whereas the above comments are generally true for the Western European states, they are not reliably so for the whole of the enlarged EC area. 

If you go to Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia, or the Czech Republic, and even some places in Slovenia, you will, in our experience, be likely to be asked for a passport for the person whose name is not on the CCI, while some will not accept the CCI in lieu of a passport, meaning both passports must be left.  I would guess this would also apply to other remnants of the Eastern Bloc now in the EC.

In out of the way areas in these countries the local police chief still rules the roost, and the ex state-owned tourist facility operators still bend to his writ.  You may even still be asked to complete a full alien registration document: we were - because the chief of police required it - and that was in Czechland, just a few miles from the W German border!  Be prepared for anything, and be patient!  :-)

What, including the drive from Brum?  Has your van got an after-burner?  Are you, possibly, Italian (they do tend to drive a tad faster than we Brits :-))?  That is 2650 miles, and about 5 days travelling - with no allowances for breaks or shopping.  Were you thinking of doing any sightseeing while there?  :-D

If Naples equals also Pompeii and Herculaneum, as well as the archaeological museum, and Rome equals just the Colosseum, St Peters, the Spanish Steps, and the Trevi fountain, Pisa equals only the tower, the cathedral and the baptistry, and Verona equals only a wander round the centre, you'll have missed all the best bits!  And, how long were you intending to spend in Venice, and etc (Vicenza, Assisi, Siena, Florence, to name but a few!)?  You'll need a rest to recover when you get back!

Slow down, and take it in digestible chunks, or else spend six months exploring.  :-D

Hi Brian,

These were my thoughts, but my missus has never been so keen to go anywhere as she is now, we have been to Maggiore before.

We have three weeks to do it in, but I think Rome and Venice would probably be enough and no doubt my wife will come to the same conclusion after a couple of days, well, we will have to put the annual multi trip insurance to good use and go back latter in the year, presuming we can still afford the fuel to get there. (lol) (lol)

Pete

Well, there's no harm in a back up plan!  In that timescale, I'd settle for Venice, which for us is pure magic, and in which I can easily spend a week (or a lifetime!) and still find new things, Florence almost ditto, Pisa, and possibly throw in Bologna, or Siena, or almost any of the other Northern towns. 

Rome is big, though the centre is surprisingly compact, but there is at least a week's worth of wandering and exploring there as well, and so many other places on the way I think you'll just have to "do" it in sections.  :-) 

If the history, the art, and the architecture, are of interest, Italy is an Aladdin's cave, and even quite small places that hardly get mentioned have their treasures.  Small town churches that have altarpieces, or paintings which, if they were in UK, would be in the British Museum!  The country is knee deep in the stuff, they have so much they really can't cope!  Have fun.

Hi, You must look suspicious :-D Never had my passports took off me or photocopied, mind you been stopped by customs twice when leaving UK

once stopped by a border guard crossing from France to Spain & stopped in Germany in the middle of nowhere by 5 customs officers (I think) they were all traveling in a fiat 500, one of them (a lady) tried the rear door of the m/home and they inspected our passports, but just said, British! enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Pete

Hi pete

think I would have been worried about the germans customs (if they really were) Did they get in the van? Did they ask to look in the van? I always worry about these out of the blue stopages.

PJay

No, they never got in, I just cracked the window open enough to talk, they asked in perfect English for our papers, shown him our passport and as soon as he opened the cover, he said, English, no problem, my wife was watching the others, the girl amongst them ambled to the rear of the van and tried the side door, she looked the most scary of the lot of them, I wondered if there was a prison nearby, and someone had escaped?, never did find out.

Pete

No, they never got in, I just cracked the window open enough to talk, they asked in perfect English for our papers, shown him our passport and as soon as he opened the cover, he said, English, no problem, my wife was watching the others, the girl amongst them ambled to the rear of the van and tried the side door, she looked the most scary of the lot of them, I wondered if there was a prison nearby, and someone had escaped?, never did find out.

Pete

Archived