Motorhome around NW Scotland

peter21

Hi all

We are spending the last two weeks in June and the first two weeks in July driving around the coast of Scotland. The first two weeks...east coast...is pretty much planned. We are spending 3 days in the Orkneys and then plan to drive along the north and North West coasts....Thurso-Bettyhill-Durness-Scourie-Kylesku-Ullapool-Inverewe.

Does anybody know what these roads are like for a 24 foot (7m) motorhome in July? Any recommendations for overnight stops?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Have a look at this site http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/ , we have never had a problem on the West coast with a 6.5mt M/H but as always common sense prevails and a good set of OS 1:50000 maps help.

Many of the older and traditional parking places now have no overnight parking signs in place but I don't know who is responsible for enforcement. Most of the rest are fully occupied by "travelers" who will stay for several summer months. We spent many years along the West coast walking and canoeing using our M/H as a base and during that time put what we thought to be a considerable amount of cash into the local economy but the inhospitable attitude of local authorities encountered during our last few trips has encouraged us to decamp to France where the aires system and cheap Camping Municipal sites mean our cash goes much further and the French actually seem pleased to see us!

Our van is smaller than yours but I would not see any problems on most roads in the North of Scotland or the Orkneys. The single track roads in Scotland tend to have passing places every couple of hundred yards and hardly any have dry stone walls to make passing difficult. We only use campsites and their are a lot of good ones in Scotland. The Caravan Club ones on the west coast all seem to be in great postions in particular one at Bunree just outside Fort William. Site at Durness is in a fantastic position but facilities are pretty basic. The council site at Stromness on Mainland in the Orkneys is one of our favorites, once again facilities are terrible but position of site is great right on the edge of Stromness harbour. Not sure what MrGrumpy means we have never seen any travellors in the North of Scotland as for inhospitilty no towns to speak of so no parking problems.

As Rupert says the CC sites are very good but I think quite expensive, if you want to use one in July, especially Bunree, I suggest booking as they do get very busy.

If you have ever been along the road from Lochailort to Acharacle you would know what I mean by a long term traveler problem. The caravans arrive around late June and stay until September.

If you do use the smaller roads watch the overhanging branches as 747 says but also the boulders alongside the roads when you pull over to allow the local bus or white van man to pass in the opposite direction!

We enjoyed the positions of all the sites we stayed at during a tour last May/June. All spectacular coastal locations. We stayed at Durness, Scourie Achmelvich Nr. Lochinver, Ullapool, Gairloch and Applecross. Facilties all OK , quiet sites suit us. We don't wild camp but prices were all reasonable for what you got(IMHO). Our van is 5.6m so we had no problems with roads, but we hardly saw anything anyway!No midges either!

have done 2 previous tours of Scotland in swift kontiki (7.5m) with no problems. This year doing another tour right up to Dunnet Bay in new van (8.7m). Staying on either CC or C&CC sites which also take RV's. So if an RV get up there so can I >:-)

Archived