Best Build Quality

whitewash

Hi All,

I'm really sorry this if this is an old chestnut but as a newbie please forgive :-S

In caravan circles 'Coachbuild' are recognised as the VERY best caravan manufacturer in terms of onboard appliances and build quality (OK maybe not everyone will agree with that but you get the gist),

If Money was no object, wouldn't we be lucky ;-), and only including Panel Van conversions, who is the best in builder of Motorhomes and why?

Kind Regards

G.

How long is a piece of string

I own a hymer so I say hymer.

Friends have IH and another has a Timberland and they say they are best.

Another friend has a Cathargo and they are very good.

You need to look at your needs and your purse.

Richard

I vote for Hymer (as I own one) as well.

Most German made conversions are well made, but my very best German is the Westfalia Exclusive on the VW T4 with 2.5 Ltr 5 cylinder engine.

I have just sold one, and it was VERY well built.

Karmann are rated number one by many Germans, but I don't think they are made any more?

Hallii

Hi,

You will find it very difficult to get anyone to be un-biased in their choice, its really down to the person themselves to chose what suits them, as over the last 3/4 years of motor-homing, I have read and spoken to people and I would say that I have heard four's and against for nearly every motorhome manufacturer I have ever heard of.

You often have to read between the lines as some report problems as they are the biggest disaster they have ever experienced and another may have what I may see as a major problem and its only reported as a slight inconvenience.

The above goes for British and European builds

Hi,

One thing to keep in mind when buying from a build quality point of view is to look at motorhomes that do not use timber frames. Hymer and several others come into this category. In the event of water ingress a wooden frame can often rot and make repair difficult and expensive. All British motorhomes use timber frames. Timber frames also flex more than the Hymer type of construction, you pays your money etc.

Bill Ord

Welcome to the forum.

Murvi have a reputation for build quality.

Their Morello is worth looking at. ( They do have other models )

Take a look at their awards over a number of years.

(I'm not aware of any problems of water ingress in panel vans so any timber framing in van conversions should not be an issue ).

However the carcass of the van may be constructed, leakage is highly undesirable, so avoiding the potential for leakage is, IMO, of greater importance that the material the carcass is made from.  Having said that, I agree a timber frame is a bit archaic, and other methods/materials may be more durable and more stable.  In truth, though, one should not be having to trade possible leakage against the damage the leak may do if it arises.  The key to ensuring it does not arise lies in the quality of the detailed design, the quality of the sealants used, and the care with which they are applied.

What goes inside the van is, by and large, the same, whose ever name is stuck on the outside.  The heaters, toilets, fridges, cookers, hobs, windows, rooflights, blinds, awnings, and to a large extent even the furniture, come from a small group of companies. 

A panel van conversion, or a coachbuilt, can be well, or badly assembled.  It matters not whether the highest quality materials are used, or whether the name on the van is synonymous with budget, or top of the range, vans.  Put it together badly, and it will be a source of trouble.

So, what you are looking for is not really a type of van, but manufacturers with good reputations for consistently high quality detailed design, specification, and fabrication.  You also want a well established, and well run, company, because you need them to still be there if your van should develop problems, and you want a factory-based service centre you can take your van to if your dealer cannot, or will not, satisfactorily resolve those problems.

You need to choose with care, but I would say the reputations for consistently good overall quality lie mostly in Germany, with a couple in France.  Of the German companies, nearly all are members of the Hymer Group (but note this does not mean the van will be a Hymer, they own a large number of brands), and of the French, both are in the Rapido group (two brands).  Elsewhere, the quality control seems more hit-and-miss.  At its best, it can be excellent, but the next van out can be a lemon.  The sad lesson, from a British perspective, is that the Germans, and this one French company, work harder at consistency of quality than pretty much anyone else, and I would say the Germans are generally better at it than the French group.

So, does that mean you can't get a duff van from the Hymer group?  Emphatically no!  They too produce their lemons, but I think it fair to say they produce relatively fewer of them, and they are generally better at rectifying their problems, than the rest.  They just seem to have better overall quality control systems throughout their organisation.

Guest Tracker

The best made vans are the older ones in general as more and more of today's vans move towards lightweight materials (aka flimsy!)

Moving back in time there must be a cross over period when the age of the van offsets any gains from the tougher but generally heavier materials and construction methods.

I believe that Autosleeper monocoque constructed motorhomes were the best 'Coachbuilt' of their time, for confidence of no leaks in the seams Etc.,

Unfortunately they didn't have very good insulation underneath the skin, and the water tanks and systems weren't insulated either. If they HAD been better Insulated and the Windows had been sealed as they should then I think they would have been a 'World Beater'.

I think that much better Adhesives and sealants have made the advantages of monocoque construction not so important, But my Ideal van would STILL be a monocoque constructed one. preferably mounted on a Mercedes chassis, but probably far too expensive. Mores the pity.

Ray :'(

oops just Re-Read the original post and realise we are ONLY talking PVC's sorry.

malc d - 2010-05-11 7:21 PM The question was about " only including panel van conversions " Are there any with known water ingress problems ? (?)

Yes, but from the first part of the question I gained the impression the OP might be confusing panel van conversions with coachbuilt vans, because they are based on (panel) van chassis, so I tried to cover the lot!  :-)

Archived